Thread: Static & Reloading

Default Static & Reloading

I'm new to the hobby and had some questions regarding static & reload bench placement. I realize that there is a lot of static in our house, as I shock myself frequently after walking on the carpet. If I'm setting up my reload equipment in the garage, am I in the clear regarding static, or do I need to take additional measures? My garage has a concrete floor and is heated.

Tim

I managed to generate a lot of static in my house and some in my shop.
    I have started to ground myself before I start handling my reloading gear just in case. Usually I just touch my big metal filing cabinet and get a nice discharge of static. I am thinking about driving a piece of re-bar into the ground next to the shop and running a wire up by my bench.

I am now on my second little electronic scale after I fried the first one.
    I now wipe down some of my gear with an anti static dryer towel before use. It really seems to help.
    It was so bad that powder would either stick to or jump out of a little plastic powder pan/funnel I use.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default help with the static in a powder dump

to cut down on the static, rub the inside of your powder dump with a dryer sheet. some even wrap a sheet on the outside of the pd. this is all i know.

Default Static

I also wipe the inside of my funnel down with a dryer sheet. One sheet will last a very long time!

Jake

It seems your asking about the dangers of static electicity and smokeless powder (yes,no) Static isn't considered to be capable of igniting smokeless powder, no danger there. It will ignite black powder. In dry conditions the acrylic plastic used in powder despenser hoppers and funnels have a static kling that holds a few powder kernals to the wall. This is more of a nuisance than anything else but can be remedied with the dryer sheets or washing in dishwashing soap.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    It seems your asking about the dangers of static electicity and smokeless powder (yes,no) Static isn't considered to be capable of igniting smokeless powder, no danger there.

In dry conditions the acrylic plastic used in powder despenser hoppers and funnels have a static kling that holds a few powder kernals to the wall. This is more of a nuisance than anything else but can be remedied with the dryer sheets or washing in dishwashing soap.
    Yep, that's what I was wondering. Thanks to everyone for the ideas, I was initially worried about the danger of static & powder, but didn't realize that there were other minor problems associated with it.

Thanks,
    Tim

The biggest problem it's caused me is throwing off my scale.

I didn't really think about it much when I mounted the presses on a plastic folding table - I was thinking about being able to move the thing around. (Small house.)

But it's a pain in the nuisance now - dryer sheets help keep the powder from sticking to the table or powder thrower, and the scale lives on a wooden windowsill in reach of the bench.

I won't win any awards from any efficiency experts for my movements back and forth, but the balance is reliable and repeatable now.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I use the dryer sheets, and have used soap to keep the static out of my powder funnels because it can cause the powder not to flow, and that works fine.

I'll tell you a way to keep the static down, at least temporarily in your home, so you donít get shocked every time you touch a light switch. Get a spray bottle, and fill it with water and spray the floor. This works well on carpet, where most of the trouble is anyway.

If you spray another type of floor, donít overdo it. Remember a wet or even a slightly wet floor can be slick. In your garage, for example, don't spray the places you walk.

We donít have carpet in the kitchen or living room of our home, but only in the bedrooms, and downstairs. When I have occasion to spray, I spray in the carpeted rooms, and on the throw rugs in the other rooms. It helps immensly.

The water/moisture won't hurt anything. It will evaporate into the air before your house can get rusty.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.