Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waterproof gun cases???

Default Waterproof gun cases???

I've been searching the archives and am having a hard time finding info on waer proof gun cases for a fall float trip. A couple friends are going on a moose float hunt this fall and asked about water proof cases. What to you guys use?

Thanks,
    --Bill

Default Check out Nomar

I've got one from Nomar in Homer. Check out their website. It has a roll top closure like a regular dry bag and a removable foam padding sleeve. It has worked well for me, but I have yet to fully submerse it yet. It was a little spendy, but for what it will be protecting, well worth the dough.

The pelian 1720 and 1750 long cases claim they are watertight and have an O-ring seal. Alaska_Lanche has one of these cases and is very happy with it from what I gather. I have a Dosko Sport Long Case that has an o-ring seal, robust latches, and is very tough. As far as weatherproof I would recommend the doskocil or the pelican but as far as completely dunking the case in water, I dunno.

Default my $0.02

i researched this topic alot last year, and settled on this:

http://www.drybags.com/home.html

that said, i decided to save myself some $ and never ordered it so i cannot say how it performs on an AK float hunt. i do know it has been discussed and generally recommended on the PV forums.

i own a stainless rifle with synthetic stock, so i made due with a plastic garbage bag last year

for my next hunt i plan to order the "real thing" as shown in the link above

Default Case

There is a flexible waterproof soft case called a "GUN BOAT". It is light weight and rolls up to store.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I use 2 different types together. I use a floating rifle case from Cabela's and put that into a roll top dry bag gun case for waterproofing. The entire rifle will float while in the 2 cases. I have 2 for both the wife and I. I use yellow and orange to help if I ever dump the raft. Been on numerous floats with no issues.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

http://www.opticsplanet.net/kolpin-s...e-ko10852.html

Here you see the yellow gun sleeve on the raft, ready for action.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I have an old Gunboat, which is no longer made, but the Koplin is just like the Gunboat. You can fit a Michaels of Oregon padded case inside one. I don't know why retailers in Anchorage don't stock them.

Thanks for all the help guys. This info is perfect.

--Bill

The nomar looks like the tool for the job. Waterproof, padded, & 140#s of flotation!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default $30 or $95?

I bought the Nomar ($95) for my first float hunt. It is well-made from 18oz Seatarp, a strong, waterproof coating similar to heavy-duty dry duffels and made in Alaska. The closure is very positive. It is an excellent product.

But the cases Steve (stid2677) recommends have done the job for him - at a better price ($30). The description of the Cabela's case (waterproof, with foam liner that will float your rifle) sounds similar in design to the Nomar case. If I buy another rifle case, I'll look for one of the cases he recommended.

Here's a thread with info you may find helpful:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...d.php?p=180740

Good luck with your hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    I bought the Nomar ($95) for my first float hunt. It is well-made from 18oz Seatarp, a strong, waterproof coating similar to heavy-duty dry duffels and made in Alaska. The closure is very positive. It is an excellent product.

But the cases Steve (stid2677) recommends have done the job for him - at a better price ($30). The description of the Cabela's case (waterproof, with foam liner that will float your rifle) sounds similar in design to the Nomar case. If I buy another rifle case, I'll look for one of the cases he recommended.

Here's a thread with info you may find helpful:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...d.php?p=180740

Good luck with your hunt.
    The Cabela's case in Steve's post does not claim to be water proof. That's why he puts it in the Kolpin sleeve. So the total is $55. Still cheaper no doubt.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I'm going on a camping trip with a buddy of mine this weekend at his camp and I bought the Pelican 1750 from Ralph's Pelican Cases about a month ago. It's still it perfect condition even though it's fallen a few times off the back of my 4 wheeler. I'll admit, it ain't the lightest case in the world, but having the foam in the case makes ALL the difference.

You guys can go check it out here, if you want: http://www.pelicanonline-ralphs.com/...apons-case.htm

It's $215.23 with the foam and $186.33 without the foam. Like I said spending the extra money to get the foam makes all the difference in the world.

If you are passing through Anchorage you can pick up the dry-bag type at Alaska Raft & Kayak (907) 561-7238

The pelican cases at ralph's are pretty good. Got a 1720 about a year ago and it's been tossed and roughed with close to as long as I've had i. Hasn't even become the least bit flimsy.

Picked up a 1750 pelican at Costco for 2 bills...with foam...last week.

And your brother sold one last week on here for the same price You two should talk more often

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    And your brother sold one last week on here for the same price You two should talk more often
    HAHA, guess so!

Just bought one from LL Bean, hasn't gotten here yet. Have the gunboat and several from Cabela's. Will let you know what I think of the Bean bag. Jim

Might look into this case:
    http://www.amazon.com/SKB-2SKB-5014-.../dp/B001B92OQC

Big enough to be either a dual bow or 4 rifle case. Had 4 rifles and ammo boxes in this case earlier this year. NOT light with four rifles in it, but nice to keep all of them in one place and less space to take up on the wheelers than two two rifle cases.

Just another option.

Default best waterproof guncase EVER!!

There is a small company in KAKE, Alaska(southeast) that makes awesome gun cases. They are called "sagebrush dry", they are on the web and a local alaskan busines and their products are top notch. The couple that runs it use to do the dry bags for patagonia. The gun case I bougth from them is green and has a waterproof zipper(with lube) and a camo liner. they are Great folks to deal with. My wife bought it for me and it was one of the best gifts ever.They are at the public market in juneau most years. You have to order them and they will make most anything however you want it. They also make the best dry bags and packs IMO. I have worn out two gun boots over a couple years. This one I have had for three years and it has little signs of wear. I'd post a pic of mine but i'm not learned in that yet.

They are a bit spendy $175 but you get what you pay for and from what Ive seen they are the best out there. worth checkin out for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast