Thread: Remington Project

Default Remington Project

Want to make a camp gun from old 870. If I cut the barrel does anyone have any experience or thoughts on how Brenneke Black Magic slugs might fly with an 18" cylinder bore barrell?

Well, you'll certainly lose some accuracy and velocity, but just how far away is your target going to be?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Would be using buckshot as 1st shot warning and backed up with slugs at 20 to 25 yds

Quote Originally Posted by ldh1187 View Post
    Would be using buckshot as 1st shot warning and backed up with slugs at 20 to 25 yds
    How did you pick 20 to 25 yards........????

Inside of 20 yds. I want to be prepared to defend myself and my sons. I have a 44 mag and to be honest cant hit a barn and 10yds is its max for me with that. Was hoping a shotgun would give a bit more length and some accuracy. Cutting the barrell would be cheaper.

It should work great. Because of the relative small charges of fast powder ( 25/35 grs) and the large bore, most of the velocity is gained in the first 15" anyway. As far as accuracy, not to worry. I fired 3 rem regular rifled slugs into about a 5" group at 85yds from kneeling using a 14" 870. The gun did have nice sights on it, but at 20/25 yds I wouldn"t even worry about that too much. Some kind of sight would help though. I haven't used the fancy slugs so I don't have an opinion on those other than the regular slugs work plenty good enough so why waste money.

As far as warning the bear, bird shot makes just as much noise and is a lot cheaper. If you are thinking of maybe shooting the bear with the warning shot, then use a slug. Use pepper spray for warning and slugs for stopping.

Hey Thanks for the input. I agree with the spray comments. I have run a couple black bears off with spray. Always been a bit nervous about about using it on the big boys, would hate for them to consider it salt and pepper.

Hey Thanks for the input. I agree with the spray comments. I have run a couple black bears off with spray. Always been a bit nervous about about using it on the big boys, would hate for them to consider it salt and pepper.
    Pepper spray was developed to be used against brown/griz, it's supposed to be much less effective against black bears.

You'll laugh at my favorite "chopped" 870, but dang if it doesn't work well while looking ugly as sin.

When a buddy of mine was a kid he managed to shove the barrel of his 870 in the mud while duck hunting, then shoot it anyway. Took off the first 4" or so of a bare 28" barrel. He replaced the barrel and kept on using the 870 for ducks over the next 20 years, meanwhile hucking the blown barrel into a dusty corner.

When he wanted a short cylinder bore barrel for slugs and buckshot, he remembered that old souvenier. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, he used a tubing cutter to lop it off to 18 inches or so. That resulted in a little "choke" at the end, so he opened that back up with a reamer.

Found it kinda hard to sight with, so he started kicking around for something to put on the end of the barrel. Finally tried a plain old hose clamp with the screw on top to work as a giant front bead.

Funniest looking gun you've ever seen.

But that gigantic silver front bead is unbelievably good for fast shooting with either slugs or buckshot inside 25 yards. Throw the gun up and follow the bead. Most natural pointing gun I've ever used for fast shooting.

Long and short, in the uses and ranges you're talking about, if that monstrosity shoots slugs well, any "factory" cylinder bore gun ought to do just fine.

Gotta love it! I've been watching for a free blown barrel so I could make on of my own. There's something that won't let me hack up a perfectly good barrel and turn it into such an unsightly mess, but look out when I find a clunker. I might even get real fancy and paint the band black on the hose clamp.

BrownBear thanks for sharing. My 870 comes from my dad who carried it on the combine here in the midwest for 30 years. Shes a bottom of the boat kinda gun.

BrownBear thanks for sharing. My 870 comes from my dad who carried it on the combine here in the midwest for 30 years. Shes a bottom of the boat kinda gun.
    With that kind of family heritage, I'd almost hate to hack on it, in spite of all the warts and blisters. It earned the dings honestly, and your grandkids might really appreciate it as-is.

BrownBear, Good thought I do need to consider that.

Arrow 870s

It will work fine at 20 to 25 yards maybe even to 50 but if I were doing it since its a gun your dad gave you I would probably just buy a 18 inch cyl. bore barrel form midway or cabelas and have a 2 barrel 870 to cover everything.You can also find old beater barrels at gunshows sometimes for very little cash I have bought several and chopped them if its a ribbed barrel there are some really neat fiber optic sights out there that glue on that work really well for tired eyes and man that is some tough glue I have about 500 rounds through one old 870 and they haven't come off yet several friends using them with same results hope this helps good shooting....ronnie

you can find remington barrels pretty cheap it you look around. less than $100. i would chop a random barrel before i chopped your dads tractor gun. for $100, you can almost have 2 guns. 1 for birds, 1 for defense.

I chopped the 30'' barrel on my old beater mossberg my dad bought me way back in highschool down to 19'' this past year. Can't tell you how accurate slugs are... but it sure spreads birdshot fine! Nice circular wide open pattern. I hacked the end off a teeny bit longer than 19, and it was a horrible cut not even straight in the least. BUT... I had read enough to know that I could go to a table sander and straighten the end of the barrel with a true square rule and sand it perfect. Clamp the rule to the sander once you have it squared up, and then just slide the barrel next to the rule, the end will come out perfectly flat. I filed the inner lip of just slightly so I didn't have any metal curving inwards afterward. Put some blue on the end and it looks like a factory short barrel. I have no sights on it, no rib either. Shotguns point fine even without sights, maybe you will shoot it better than you think without a sight.