Thread: Which hand held radio do you have?

Default Which hand held radio do you have?

I am going to be buying a hand held radio this year. I want to make sure I get the right one the first time. Feel free to list the ones you like or the ones you don't like.
    Thanks.

i have an older (?15 year old) ICOM hard to go wrong by getting an ICOM. still works fine.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Can't go wrong with an ICOM. Also heard good things about Standard Horizon.

Default Standard Horizon / Hummingbird

I sure these unit are a prime example of getting what you pay for. Had a Standard Hozizon that I used on my inflatable with a base loaded antenna fix mounted. ( had a small whip to) worked well, could call USCG everywhere I went in PWS. Sold it with the boat! Had an extra Hummingbird with small whip antenna, what I did like about it was it had a battery case I could load AA's in, plus the rechargeable and plug into 12vdc unit.
    Both good units along with the ICOM which is also top of the line, not a good item to save money on!
    Newer one have the DSC distress w/ NEMA GPS position input, an great feature when it get implemented up here in Alaska.

I got the Standard Horizon HX270s. Up to 5 Watt transmission, long battery life (up to 18 hours if I remember correctly), 12 volt cradle charger, and "submersible." Its my back up unit.

I use the Uniden Atlantis 250. It is submersible, has a Ni-MH battery (no memory effect with Ni-MH), as well as the capability to run off AA batteries if needed. 10 NOAA channels with alerts too. It comes with a car charger, home charger and a few other small accessories. Very nice radio with long battery life, 3-year warranty, and reasonable price (around $100-120). Mine has held up to quite a bit of use and abuse.

Get an ICOM that you can put AA's into, best rig going. Cabela's even used to sell a pair of them with charger/batteries/radios in a custom made bright orange Pelican case - I've had mine for 14 years, still like new.

I have been thinking Icom because that is what I have in the Skagit Orca, but I read somewhere that the floating Icom was less than desireable. I would think that a radio with a 2 or 3 mile range that floats is better than a skookum radio that is on the bottom of the inlet.