Thread: Looking for a digital body

Default Looking for a digital body

This is the lens that i have from the old 35mm nikon, can i use a d50, d80 body

The camera that I have is a Nikon 4004s AF 1 of the lens that I have is a 0.7m{2.29ft} 28-80 1:3.5-5.8 af aspherical, the other is 4.5-5.6 f=75- 300
    Thanks for any advice
    Regards T

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    This is the lens that i have from the old 35mm nikon, can i use a d50, d80 body

The camera that I have is a Nikon 4004s AF 1 of the lens that I have is a 0.7m{2.29ft} 28-80 1:3.5-5.8 af aspherical, the other is 4.5-5.6 f=75- 300
    Thanks for any advice
    Regards T
    It's a little bit difficult to be sure because I can't positively identify which lenses you have there. It does not appear that they are Nikon lenses?? They could be something like Sigma, Tamron or some other third party manufacturer?

In general that type of lens is supported by both the D50 and the D80. Specifically, AF-D lenses which require a motor in the camera, are supported. And as far as I know there were no particular problems with third party AF-D type lenses.

Otherwise, I would highly recommend that you give the D80 a lot more attention than the D50 (which is a relatively old camera now).

Also, be aware that there is a significant effect of using a smaller than 35mm sized electronic sensor in the D50 and D80 cameras. Your 28-80mm lens was a wide angle to short telephoto on the film body, but will be the same as a 42-120mm on the digital body. That is, it goes from about "normal" to a midrange telephoto. The 75-300mm will be the same as a 112-450mm lens, which is into the low end of "long telephoto" range! If you shoot wildlife in the boonies, you'll love it; but if you shoot wild life on the street, you might not! :-)

I believe the 28x 80 is a Tamron but i am not home right now to confirm. I am wanting to get something up graded for the wife and hated to have to get rid of this camera and gear for not if it would not work in the newer bodies. The bigger lens will be perfect for when we are out in the boat. That is good new thanks T

Sweepint
    '' Livn' The Dream ''

What you have are film biased lenses that really should not determine what body you eventually go with. There are some great Nikon deals as well as the Canon 40d. We are posting a deal today on this great camera. The 28-80 is really a 42 mm-120 mm after you figure the digital factor. Take a look at the Canon 40D kit we are posting. The 17-85 IS lens it comes with is an awesome lens and gives you a 35 mm range of 28-125, which is a great range. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Joel Paymer
    Camera Land
    575 Lexington Ave
    New York, NY 10022
    212-753-5128
    www.cameralandny.com
    cameraland@aol.com

Default Cameraland

Cameraland
    Are you saying that my lens that are on the nikon can be used on the Canon?
    The lens that i have are AF and they would work on the D40,D50,and D80. That is what i was told. It was said the the D50 would be a bit underpowered for the lens. Yes i would like to have the D200 but am not planning on spending near that much money on this.
    i am looking for a body for the lens that i have not a complete new set at this point in the process.
    If the information is not correct than please let me know what my options are on what i have or what i need.
    Thanks T

Sweepint
    '' Livn' The Dream ''