Thread: Got my Kodiak 58 yesterday!!!!!

Talking Got my Kodiak 58 yesterday!!!!!

After a few days of being glued to the window waiting on the mailman to bring me a package, it finally got here. What a BEAUTY! I am very impressed with Pedersoli's rifles- the fit and finish is really good and lots of attention to detail. Good engraving to boot. The only thing that I dont like is the ramrod. Kind of seems like it was an afterthought when they built the rifle. The rod is really flimsy, the ends are just crimped on and doesnt stay in the thimbles at all. Oh well, time to find some 3/8" brass stock and make my own.

It was used and I didnt pay nearly what I should have for what kind of shape it is in-it was advertised as 95% and I think it was all of that. I havent had a chance to hit the range yet (I know......) but I'm gonna go this weekend for sure. Now off to cut some patches..........

Excellent ! I really wanted one of those but they are tough to come by it seems. Looking forward to a range report on it.

Quote Originally Posted by aknewbie View Post
    After a few days of being glued to the window waiting on the mailman to bring me a package, it finally got here. What a BEAUTY! I am very impressed with Pedersoli's rifles- the fit and finish is really good and lots of attention to detail. Good engraving to boot. The only thing that I dont like is the ramrod. Kind of seems like it was an afterthought when they built the rifle. The rod is really flimsy, the ends are just crimped on and doesnt stay in the thimbles at all. Oh well, time to find some 3/8" brass stock and make my own.

It was used and I didnt pay nearly what I should have for what kind of shape it is in-it was advertised as 95% and I think it was all of that. I havent had a chance to hit the range yet (I know......) but I'm gonna go this weekend for sure. Now off to cut some patches..........
    Dandy! I know what you mean about those flimsy replacement rods. If you run a tight patch/ball combo, they're a real nuisance. Can turn into a nuisance too, if you have to swab more often as fouling builds up. Good wooden replacements are available from a number of source and relatively cheap. Not worth ordering one by itself, but next time you're ordering anything else, add rods on the order. Long as I'm getting one, I go ahead and get half a dozen when I order. I don't really need that many cuzz good ones almost never break, but they're cheap enough I'd rather have spares standing in a corner.

And please do keep us posted on the shooting! I'll cross paths with one someday when I have money in hand. I've got my mouth set on a 72 cal right now, but that doesn't mean I'd pass up a 58 if it came along first.

Congrats! I saw one here in town at great northern on saturday. It was in fair shape. Barrels looked good. If I remember right only real blemish was some rust around the nipples. And that didnt look to bad. Price was 450 if I remember right.

And your right. Pedersoli does make a good looking gun. The company does seem to take some pride in their work from the few examples Ive seem

I saw that same rifle about two weeks ago, overall it looked pretty good but, the lock on the right felt well used, to the point even I had some doubt as to it actually being safe. It did hold full and half cock each time I cycled it but it felt worn and the spring tension felt weak to me. It may be my inexperience with such things or it may be in need of a new lock.

I was darn close to leaving the store with it all the same. Not knowing what a new lock assembly would cost and not to mention I had just purchased the Big Boar a day prior, I left it there. It was a tough decision, really tough decision !

I am confident I will own a Pedesoli Kodiak Double at some point though .

Default .58 Double

I am interested in looking at the .58 Double that you folks saw in town. Would you please let me know which shop has it.

Thanks,
    Rich
    I swore an oath to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States. That oath had no expiration date Congress must use a different version that does.

Great northern guns