Thread: Murphy ??

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Default Murphy ??

I have a Remington 788 in 222 Remington that I use for Fox hunting. Well recently it has developed a problem with the trigger that has me puzzled. I like to take each of my rifles out of the cabinet every once in a while to dry fire them just too keep the feel of that particular rifle in my mind. Well this 788 has now developed a problem where when I open the bolt to cock it and then close the bolt, the sear is not catching to set the trigger. This might happen 2-3 times and then from there on it will set the trigger. Leave the rifle overnight and try it again the next day and the trigger will not set when the bolt is opened and closed for another 2-3 times and then it gets okay from there. What's up?

Guess I might have to buy a Timney replacement trigger.

Default 788 Trigger...

Allen,

It's been a while since I had hold of a 788 but the triggers are similar to the M700 trigger. I would say that there is oil gummed up in the trigger housing. It could be cleaning solvent or oil that works it's way into the action parts and then gels into something like glue and old grease. The sear sticks down and won't come up under spring pressure of the sear spring. This usually happens after several months in the gun vault. It is the rifle's way of telling you to get it out more often. It was feeling neglected and has to let you know some way. Some kind of volitile spray solvent will clean it out quickly. Those trigger housings are closed up and riveted together so no easy access.

I like the 788 and they were a best buy in rifles for a long time. Where else could you get a $100 rifle shoot so good? I guess a good Timney trigger would help make it happy again.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Thanks Jim. I'll take the trigger assembly off tonight and remove the sear and spring and then put everything in some solvent to soak.

Default Gunked up.

Allen,

I had a similar experience with one of my rifles. It's an inherited gun and the first time I took it to the range I was unaware of the issue. I discovered it with a round in the chamber -- I closed the bolt and it went boom.

That scared the daylights out of me.

Anyway, I quit shooting for the day and took it home. I took it apart and squirted a whole bunch of lubricant in the trigger assembly, (an aftermarket accuracy job, incidentally) which blew a lot of yellow gunk out. Followed up with a good dry lubricant and haven't had problems since.

Nowadays I mainly tell that story to new shooters to illustrate safety rules -- something about the bullet always going where the muzzle is pointed...

Default sear engagement

I will definitely second the motion to thoroughly clean the trigger mechanism on any gun -especially a used Rem 700. Bought a like new in 8 mag several years ago at a local pawn. Gun had obviously been stored and covered with some type grease on the outside blue--looked like RIG. I gave it a good superficial cleaning and off to the range. Chambering the first round ended my shooting for the day--talk about an unexpected result! On the trip home as my nerves began to recede into my body, the first thought was the problem that model gun had several years ago instituting a factory recall. I also had one of those but found it and corrected it without an AD.
    Deciding to not jump to conclusions, I disassembled it completely and as I
    really cleaned it, the problem became apparent. Some of the greasey rust inhibitor had solidified and was partially inhibiting the sear and trigger function.
    Lesson learned! Gun works fine now. Murphy"s Law always applys with any
    mechanical item. Thank God that cannon was pointed downrange!

Default 30-06 factory ammo ballistics in short barrel

Shot Remington Core-lok factory ammo over Chron @ 12 feet. 180g averaged
    2651 fps. Factory 180 grain was a pitiful 2308! This was from a short 20" barrel customized Zastava Mauser--which I understand is the basic gun for
    the "new" Remington 598 or whatever the number. This was @ 100 ft. above sea level and at 80 degrees F.

If memory serves me correctly the 788 trigger is made of pot metal and is pretty cheap.
    The one I had was only held to the action with one rolled pin. And after awhile the part of the action holding the rolled pin even gave away. If you have to remove the trigger be very careful.
    Tennessee

Default Timney

Timney was supposed to come out with a trigger for the 788 about 18 months ago. I have not seen it yet! I will buy one if it happens.
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012