Thread: kobuk river ???

Default kobuk river ???

I did a search for the kobuk river on here but didn't come up with anything if anyone has the thread would you let me know. Otherwise I am wondering if the kobuck has any caibou around it and how about moose it looks like it is pretty good moose country but that is just from pics. does it get alot of hunting pressure. I am not looking for trophies but dont want to bump into people every day.

I live in Noorvik on Kobuk River.
    i personally dont bother with Moose, i havent for a few years, but I see alot.
    Theres plenty of Moose, and the locals donot hunt them much, because there are plenty of Caribou around.
    You will see plenty of people on the river, its our "road" in the summer with boats and the same inthe winter with snowmachines.

If you plan to drift, you can look up Ambler, and drift about 5 days to Kiana.

Theres alot of private as well as public lands around, so check that situation out and see. Nobody owns the sandbars...LOL!!!

I dont know if nonresisdents can hunt on Kobuk Vally Monumet or in the parks or wildlife refuges..??Anybody know? I can hunt most everywhere, so I pay little attention.

My friend Brett caught this with our Pards Ess and Joey showing it off.

Keep looking it up, the laws and lands, I suggest, you might be able to figure it out.

Oh ya! Its "Unit 23" in the Alaska Regs book on hunting/fishing.

Good luck!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I used to live in Kobuk, but for only 1 year, so I'm not necessarily an expert, but I can tell you what I know. There are lots of moose and caribou up there. I shot a 62 incher while there and 2 caribou that scored 376 and some change, not to mention several others. (The limit is 5 per day, no closed season) I would give meat to the elders of the village. Many people float from a loke about 100 miles upstream from Kobuk and end up in Kobuk and fly home from there. It seems that most floaters do it about the end of August when the caribou are really moving through. Much of the land is NANA land and can't be hunted by a non-native, so like Stranger said, get a map of land ownership so you don't get busted for hunting on corporation land. I don't know how much or if they monitor where you shoot your animals, but it's good to know the law. But like he also said "nobody owns the gravel bars, and the caribou always cross the river and hang out on the bars, so if you time it right, you'll be able to get some right on the river. As for other people, I've seen very few people, or quite a few in one day. I don't know if they were in the same group or not. Once you get closer to the villages, you'll see more power boats.

try searching "WACH" or Kotzebue
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

http://www.nanalands.com/plotfiles/r...l/trespass.pdf

This will help you on Kobuk River.

NANA lands and Private lands occure along the river.

If your a Native Alaskan and not a member of NANA, you must still get permission.
    The lands are owned in common by the locals , and NANA provides security services to the lands they administer and the private holdings ,if asked by the owner.
    Contact them, and they can help you get it right. They are not against hunters or proper land use, and will guide you in the right direction.

can you hunt moose and caribou in the gates of the artic national preserve and if you can do you need a permit. what about the burea of land management? Also what is KIC own lands? I know I ask alot of questions but thank you for helping.

KIC is Kikiktaguruk Inupiaq Corperation. They are a local corp outta Kotzebue and own lands too.
    Call them and ask. Im sure BLM lands are huntable, and you might call the Park Service in Kotzebue for the best answers.

Its totaly doable, I meet many out of state hunters on the river each Fall, when we hunt the Fat Bulls in the river.

Keep looking, and asking

Default floating experience

What is your level of experience rafting? There are a couple floats that can be done on the kobuk that have the chance of good hunting & good fishing. One popular one is to start at Walker Lake & float to the village of Kobuk. However the 1st part of this float has one or two spots that would require a bit of rafting experience. You can also try the maneluk or pah & float to kobuk.
    There is a good chance to see caribou & moose but timing is key. Especially for the caribou, feast or famine but either way it should be a great trip.

The upper Kobuk USED to be good bou/moose hunting in sept. The warming climate has changed the migration patterns and bou do not travel thru that area in any concentrations in sept. Call F&G in Nome or Kotz. If you call Nome ask for Letty Hughes. They may be nice enough to provide you with migration maps from the last few years from the GPS collars in the herd.
    It appears your a non resident, so the only way you can hunt moose in unit 23 is to win a draw permit. It's too late, I think, to apply for a 2009 permit. Upper Kobuk is good moose country and I think little land issues to deal with. Also decent opportunity for black bears. Even if you don't shoot anything, you'd enjoy the scenery. Mid sept would be the better choice for floating the upper river.
    Lower Kobuk seems to get some bou in sept. Kinda spotty tho I think.
    The Squirrel should be a decent float and decent chance of bou.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

If you get here heres a meat tip;

One thing kina "local" is that Moose hunting is usually done in the cool early Sept. before they rut in mid month along the shores and islands of the river. They hang out in the screen of willows.You can "Gwaa" call them right across the river to you, and we do it for fun sometimes. Not agressive but very interested.
    Caribou hunting done in the later part of Sept. when the temps have dropped enough to move the animals down from the mountains. They follow trails set by the ones before them, and if you locate a Caribou road, then you only have to keep an eye on it, from the bend of the river. They walk out on sand bars to as far as they can before they swim, so you can tent on a corner and watch the bar infront of the road.
    These days are usually briskly cool in the day and below freezing at night, which make for perfect meat handleing conditions.

The river freezes after a few days of below freezing temps, but those days usually have Bulls crossing in numbers.

Freezeup is generally in the first week of Oct insted of the last week of Sept, like it used to be....but the rut is generally started in Caribou at freeze up.

I have been doing some research and have seen many instances where people have gotten in arguements with local along the kobuk and I am getting worried that this might not be the place to go. My bush pilot has recommended tagagawik river as a backup. has anyone done this one before. I am starting to get hesitant about going out at all. I am using Jim Kinkaid for my air service has anyone used him before. is he trust worthy.

The Tag is a good river, you should find Moose and Caribou there.

Jim Kincaid is a GOOD pilot and the successor to Jim Rood, who retired and passed Northwest Aviation on the Jim K.

Alot of years(20+) flying up here, and he knows the good landing spots.

You should do well, but book early , as they are plumbsmack full when the season hits.

Good luck!

Default Walker Lake to Kobuk Village

Quote Originally Posted by mnranchergal View Post
    I did a search for the kobuk river on here but didn't come up with anything if anyone has the thread would you let me know. Otherwise I am wondering if the kobuck has any caibou around it and how about moose it looks like it is pretty good moose country but that is just from pics. does it get alot of hunting pressure. I am not looking for trophies but dont want to bump into people every day.
    I have been leading some trips downriver on the upper Kobuk over the years. One of the more pristine parts of the 'river through woods' is the float from Walker Lake to the village of Kobuk.

Keep in mind there are two sections of more demanding whitewater en-route. One is a river-wide disappearing horizon-line drop abruptly leaving the glass of Walker Lake and the other called the Kobuk Canyon a big-water rapid that forks mid canyon. Portage would require days around the canyon rapid.

Between these whitewater sections expect to see no one. Just below the major Canyon you'll find no one until you hit a more commonly hit fly-in tributary. From this confluence to the village there is game (mostly Moose & Bear) - there is lots of woods/brush and some burn with some open tundra (not easy hunting) - there are more people downstream - likely a paramilitary appearing tho' polite meeting with enforcement toting AR-15.

Passing the Big P. confluence more traffic, more people, more recreational-use camps, and several villager's/local's seasonal encampments. If you're goals are 'visual opportunities' on legal Moose and representative Caribou from the river... Id say 30-40% on Moose the first couple weeks of Sept. to low, low % on Caribou just prior to freeze up. This has been the status of in the field trends that are still in play.

Without reasonably assessing your river & outdoor skills or familiarity with having the proper equipment - I would not recommend floating the upper Kobuk River unprepared for some more demanding sections of whitewater, truly vast arctic wilderness, & the drastic weather extremes that will take place as fall season turns winter-like.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Richardson View Post
    I have been leading some trips downriver on the upper Kobuk over the years. One of the more pristine parts of the 'river through woods' is the float from Walker Lake to the village of Kobuk.

Keep in mind there are two sections of more demanding whitewater en-route. One is a river-wide disappearing horizon-line drop abruptly leaving the glass of Walker Lake and the other called the Kobuk Canyon a big-water rapid that forks mid canyon. Portage would require days around the canyon rapid.

Between these whitewater sections expect to see no one. Just below the major Canyon you'll find no one until you hit a more commonly hit fly-in tributary. From this confluence to the village there is game (mostly Moose & Bear) - there is lots of woods/brush and some burn with some open tundra (not easy hunting) - there are more people downstream - likely a paramilitary appearing tho' polite meeting with enforcement toting AR-15.

Passing the Big P. confluence more traffic, more people, more recreational-use camps, and several villager's/local's seasonal encampments. If you're goals are 'visual opportunities' on legal Moose and representative Caribou from the river... Id say 30-40% on Moose the first couple weeks of Sept. to low, low % on Caribou just prior to freeze up. This has been the status of in the field trends that are still in play.

Without reasonably assessing your river & outdoor skills or familiarity with having the proper equipment - I would not recommend floating the upper Kobuk River unprepared for some more demanding sections of whitewater, truly vast arctic wilderness, & the drastic weather extremes that will take place as fall season turns winter-like.
    How long is the rafting/float from Walker Lake to the Village of Kobuk (time and/or river miles?), and how does the water level vary throughout summer and into fall? Thanks for any info.

Default Walker lake to Kobuk Village

allow 8-10 days of rafting...not hunting,,,floating. Long trip and some very nasty rapids to deal with up high. Get dropped above the Pah River and float to Kobuk Village and you have a nice float hunt and the worlds best Pike and Sheefish to boot.

Shoot me a PM if you need any info.

Walt

I did this trip and it is fantastic. Saw several villages... Shungnak, Ambler, and Kobuk. Ambler is gorgeous in the Fall.
    My wife and I killed a couple of world class bou and slayed the sheefish--30-40 inch fish that taste like halibut. Unreal fishing.
    Caught a few pike, grayling (huge) and chums too.

Drop me an email for more specifics...
    Proud to be an American!