Thread: Barneys Sports Chalet

Default Barneys Sports Chalet

What is up with the ever long lasting down website??

Anyone know if and when they wil ever have it up?

Default spring of 2010

He's still planning on putting a new site together, when is a good question though. Doesn't seem to be a top priority.
    He wants to sell on the internet, and was getting a lot of business from his old site.
    And he knows he can sell a lot more gear with a good web site, and he wants to make more money.
    Last edited by Alasken; 02-01-2009 at 22:01. Reason: posted same time as kay9cop
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

I doubt they will ever get it back up. Their infrastructure can't support the amount of business they would see if they allowed internet sales. They enjoy the hands on aspect of selling their product and making sure you get exactly what you need. I honestly don't think they want to do business via the internet and I can't blame them...they see enough business set up they way they are and adding the internet sales will only add to their hassles.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    I doubt they will ever get it back up. Their infrastructure can't support the amount of business they would see if they allowed internet sales. They enjoy the hands on aspect of selling their product and making sure you get exactly what you need. I honestly don't think they want to do business via the internet and I can't blame them...they see enough business set up they way they are and adding the internet sales will only add to their hassles.
    Not to mention the quality will go down.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I understand what you guys are saying about Barneys not wanting to have a web site, but it sure makes daydreaming about a new hunting pack hard if i cant go to thier website 50 times a day to look at it.

What was the reason to shut down the existing website a year and a half ago before the new one is up and running. Never heard of that one before.. I would almost agree with you guy's, It seems like they dont want internet sales. Ken

I would suspect most of Bob's current energies are directed toward the construction of his new lodge in PWS.

So I decided to not be lazy and just call Barneys. Bob wasn't in but said Brian was the one working on the new site and he no longer works there. Soooo at this point they do plan to get it up and running again but it will be a while.

Default second

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    I would suspect most of Bob's current energies are directed toward the construction of his new lodge in PWS.
    I bet you are right. I think that's probably a hand full at the moment. Plus, I have to agree, that the hands on part of the store makes it what it is. Not many places left with A1 products and outstanding support and customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by 375ultramag View Post
    So I decided to not be lazy and just call Barneys. Bob wasn't in but said Brian was the one working on the new site and he no longer works there. Soooo at this point they do plan to get it up and running again but it will be a while.
    That's the same thing they said before the web site even went down. I had placed an internet order and after a few days of not receiving an e-mail confirmation I gave them a call. The web site was still up, but no one could check it because the web master no longer worked there.

I would think if they really wanted the web site back up, then they would have already hired someone over the last year. I don't begrudge them one bit for not getting it up and running, and I'm especially not complaining. I like the store being an Alaska only place and love the customer service you get from a small, hands-on type of staff.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Default Small staff...reliable tech help not easy to hire...

and their interest in tying web site orders to inventory system...and also into their store registers sounded like a big project.

Bob Hodson pays a lot of personal attention to his business, apparently does a lot of hands on attending to the orders that come into and get delivered from the store leading up to hunting season... and part of the off-season he's busy attending shows, deciding what to order, what not to order. Because of his attention, I think - Barney's was the first place I heard about SitkaGear's problems with quality of their 2008 line, especially the pants.

The software and online ordering systems they're looking at can be done well or badly. Here are some earlier threads discussing diverse opinions about Barney's website, but as 375UtraMag said, it comes down to just calling sometimes, and all they can say is it's still in the works, but takes time. It's tough waiting, especially for anyone outside the Anchorage area.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=38874

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...d.php?p=332768