Thread: Trap/Snare Box

Default Trap/Snare Box

I spent the day building a box to fit on the front rack of my atv that will hold my snares, footholds, coni's, and other misc trapping supplies. I'm really out of my element when it comes to wood work but I am really happy with the results. I still need to screw some gussets on the inside for additional support, file off the screw ends, and sand down the edge underneith the top cover to level it out, and I will be done.

Think that zuki can handle the weight on the front rack?

Those MB750's are quite heavy. I know the machine will handle the weight but I don't know if the box will last very long being built out of 1/4" plywood. It seems sturdy, and should be even better with gussets. For some reason the box looks HUGE in the pictures but the dimensions are 28" wide, 15" tall, and 13" deep and the box weighs less than 10 pounds.

Default Cool

It looks good like it would last but have or are you going to put any water resistant paint to keep it from rotting from the weather? But either way it looks pretty durable
    Early to bed
    Early to Rise
    Fish all day
    Make up lies

Thanks Fishonaustyn

I thought about coating the wood but decided against it. If I coat the wood that might transfer scent to my snares and footholds even after the treatment is dry, and I don't want that.

Hey Grem good job! Now just stick some spruce bows in the bottom of the box where you'll have your snares and traps.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default Bracing...

Just my two cents, but I'd recommend adding some bracing in the corners (either inside or out, I prefer internal). A box like that will really take a beating especially with some weight in it from gear.

Doesn't have to be perty to be functionable. The only thing I might add is drilling some small drain holes in the bottom of the box if you hadn't done that already.

If those are drywall screws you might have some issues when ya start rattling that thing down the road though. While we all use them don't don't make great wood grabbers with things that will be jarred around a bit.

Hope your going to file the screw ends waaaay down, or your zuki wont be able to carry all the weight of the band-aids your gonna need.... I speak from bloody experience mate. And you should be able to seal the outside with paint or lacquer, just wait till summer so it can dry for a long time. And yeah to what huntress said, spruce boughs, that should help a lot.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by trappermike View Post
    Hope your going to file the screw ends waaaay down, or your zuki wont be able to carry all the weight of the band-aids your gonna need.... I speak from bloody experience mate. And you should be able to seal the outside with paint or lacquer, just wait till summer so it can dry for a long time. And yeah to what huntress said, spruce boughs, that should help a lot.

Mike
    Ha! At least someone around here can spell. Thanks trapperMike!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

The box is all done and loaded

Looks good! We started using coffee filters stored in a zip lock bag instead of wax paper. No hassles having to worry about where the "box" had been. You know, the scent factor...lol

Just a quick tip for you guy's and gal's.

Instead of using Wax Paper or Coffee Filters to cover your traps, try using the Fred Meyer brand Gallon size Food & Bread Storage Bags. They ARE NOT zip lock, they are the old style pleated open end. They are very light, hold up to the snow, and just explode when the trap goes off in cold weather. Maybe Trailblazer Steve can chime here, here started using them this winter and really likes them. My dad used to use the old "Alligator Baggies" in the 70's and 80's, but they don't make those anymore. These are exactly the same.

If your setting #9's for wolves, try using those white plastic bags you get at the grocery store. You can buy them by the case at either Sams Club or Costco. They also just explode when the trap goes off.

Ted
    Pass it on, take a child hunting, fishing or trapping.