Thread: Brooks Range

Default Brooks Range

Anyone know anything about a show comming on tue the 3rd called Undercover Brooks Range?

What channel is it suppose to be on?

It looks like its on Investigation Discovery 8pm on Tuesday, which I think it channel 106 if you have GCI in Anchorage. Limited info at this link
    http://investigation.discovery.com/t...ndercover.html

Undercover ADFnG? That would be interesting.

I like to watch Discovery and History channels, at friends houses once inna great while..... but Im glad I dont recive TV signals.

Did I miss the SuperBowl? Yes I did miss it, but no, I didnt miss it...~LOL!~.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Wink Breaking news

My best guess is this is a reenactment story of a former female F & G officer who went undercover to expose poaching (and other various violations) within the professional arena of Alaskan guides. If I remember correctly she ran the risk of being exposed and being put in danger by those NOT wanting to be exposed. I’m not surprised it’s been picked up by the Discovery channel as their pretty famous for making what we have known for years seem as it just happened yesterday. That’s why they call it the Discovery Channel. Because they just discovered it!

Should prove to be entertaining as always though - I’ll be sure to buy the hats, coffee mugs, shirts, music album, full DVD set, mouse pads…well…maybe not the mouse pad but I’m down for the shirt. Hopefully a long sleeve one too.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

I'm actually about half way through reading Lucinda Schroeder's book. I started reading it over Christmas and haven't finished it yet, was interesting though. She went undercover to bust a guiding outfit who was partaking in a number of illegal hunting activities such as herding bears with their plane and hunting inside a park. Catered mainly to rich Europeans clients.

Those of you who have been around Alaska for awhile will probably have heard of this bust. I've only been around AK for about five years so it was new to me and I found it pretty interesting.

Default book

What's the name of the book AK?
    Never mind. I found it.
    http://www.ahuntforjustice.com/
    Last edited by Alasken; 02-02-2009 at 10:35. Reason: google is my friend too!
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

A very good book. I read it last year on an Alaskan hunt north of the Brooks... kind of cool to be up there and be reading about the investigation at the same time.

Default good show

I watched the show. It was on at 5 pm Tuesday. It's worth a watch.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Cought part of it and will catch it again today. Looks like it took place in the early 90's.Remember about the same time a well known guide had some trouble with keeping young men locked in his shed for kinky stuff to say the least

I don't believe she was a Fish and Game employee, rather she was a USFWS special agent. Big difference. Surprised so many folks on here confuse ADF&G, Alaska Wildlife Troopers and USF&WS.

Default Jane's story ...

The show as well as the book is full of sensationalism, untruths and based on hearsay type stuff.

I guess when your a Federal Officer you can stretch the truth the way you want / need to in order to make money.

While some of the illeagle actions did probably take place .... only 2 of the over 20 counts stuck on the Outfitter. It is obvious that the all the illeagle activity that the book and the show claims didn't take place. Many of the supposed illeagle activities were speculation.

She said she was left in the Alaska wilderness as Bear Bait ... give me a break !!!!

She also states that that Guides worked to get the hunter his animals as fast as possible and out of camp so you can get the next hunter in to make more money. I'm sorry that is not the way it works. You just have X amount of hunters who book X number of hunts.

As for being the only person in Camp that knew Spanish and all that .. totally untrue. The shooting of two Caribou by mistake by the Spanish kid was no secret and that story was told many times over (and i'm sure is still being told) and was truly funny. What was illeagle was putting the Fathers unused tag on that Bou instead of taking the Bou to the DOT freezers at White Mt and filling out a ADF&W report.

Also her taking credit for keeping the Spanish hides and horns in Ak is false. All hunters took their trophy's with them and to get them sealed (in fairbanks or anchorage) if sealing was required. It was common for all the European hunters to leave them at an Alaskan Taxidermist and then ship the trophy to the hunter.

The book or the TV show failed to mention that there were over a dozen Sheep, lots of Bou and a dozen Moose taken out of that camp ... with no problems. That camp ran between 7 and 10 Guides and only a few (2 I think) besides the Outfitter were busted.

They also fail to mention that Operation Brooks Range was a 3 year operation with like 45 officers investing many Brooks Range guides. Several other camps and guides (legal and illeagle) were busted, also.

Some charges stuck some didn't ... it was in the local and national news alot at the time.

Figures its mostly BS.I laugh my butt off everytime I watch one of the biker shows.

I would consider the book ... Fiction.