Thread: Best time for haul road trip

Default Best time for haul road trip

Hey names Hunter. New to the forum big bowhunter. I've been up the haul road twice. Wondering what everybody else feels is the best time to go. I went once in july and once in august 2 years appart. Im planning on going august or maybe september this year.

It depends on what you want.

Caribou in velvet Aug

Caribou in hard antlers Sept

Hunt other animals while your up there. Aug 10th is usually the start day there for Dall Sheep, Ptarmigan.

Sept the bugs won't be bad as in Aug. The weather can change there in Sept. for day to day.

As when the herd moves through? That is the million dollar question. there is no real time. When ever the get there...
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Any others? Thanks. Its funny the people I talk to about this all say that the bugs are horrible. My first trip up ther in july a few years ago. It seemed I didnt see any bugs at all. The secondtime I went the end of august no bugs either. That trip was windier and it snowed the last day. I saw more caribou the first year in july. I believe both times I was there the animals were in velvet. How about as far as number of hunters on the road? I didnt seem to have too much other road pressure. We did see a guys set up get totally busted by a foreigh car driving through and stoped right infront of a group of bulls about to cross over to this other hunter. That pretty much ended that for them. Any other advice or experiences would be helpful.

Default my trips

2 years ago I went up in July, not many bugs or hunters and lots of caribou, I went back this past July around the same time, plenty of bugs, plenty of hunters, and very little caribou. I went up again the last week of August. No bugs, moderate hunter levels and caribou everywhere. I shot mine 5 miles from the road on the last day of August. Personally that is the way I am doing it now. I dont like competing with other people on the roads. The 5 miles out is no joke, the 5 miles back with a pack full of caribou and all extra gear you thought you might need is down right brutal. The next trip out in the morning to get the rest of the meat and antlers because you had to much extra gear is hard but not nearly as bad as the trip back the night before. The final trip back with the rest of the bou was with out a doubt the toughest hike of my life. In the fall I regularly hike a 14 mile round trip on a trail to grouse hunt and any one of those 5 mile trips up there is worse than the 14 on the trail. That said, I would still rather hike the 5 miles to get away from the road. One thing to keep in mind is we were lucky enough(my buddy and I both shot a caribou on that same 5 miles out) to find them on the flat land across from the bluffs. The day before that I walked about 2.5 miles out to go after a small group of bulls in the hilly stuff and those 2.5 miles were as bad or if not worse than the first 5 mile trip out when we shot bulls. If you can find them where its flat I would walk the 5 miles. Secondly if you do shoot one and have to go back to get the meat the next day only carry a pistol on a belt, water, some food, knife, a waterproof tarp and a few candles with a lighter. The point is is every extra ounce of weight you take out that you dont need will kick your ass on the way back when your pack is full of meat. I know I got a little off topic, I hope that helps you a bit

Default this year

This year my wife and I have a kid due in mid August when I planned on heading up again; because of that I will be heading up there in April. I'll post my results.

Arky,

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about trying the 5 mile hike, but after reading your post I might go and buy a new bow.

Default both

If I do go up to just gun hunt again I would hike out 2.5 miles and set up camp. That way if I do shoot a caribou at 5 or further I have a nice rest stop where I can spend the night if I need to before taking it the rest of the way to the vehicle. If I would have done that in August it wouldnt have been a bad hike at all. I bring both the rifle and bow when I go up. My buddy and I both had plenty of stalks with the bow the 2 days prior to walking out the 5 miles with the rifles. Honestly, we probably could have killed one if we stayed around the road a few more days. The only reason I went out the 5 with the rifle was that this was my third trip up there and the prior two trips I had come home with no meat. My wife was starting to get mad at me for spending all that money on food and gas and comming home empty handed.
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

Thanks for all the input. I know a guy who went up last year ended up hiking out about 7miles with upwards of 6hunters and all shot caribou. They packed them out in small sections about a mile then back for more so they didnt have to pack the whole 7miles at any given time. they did the math and ended up hiking over 35miles to get out. Sounds very hard when you allready had to drive over 800miles from town. Good luck to any of your future hunts.
    Hunter

all about timing and it changes every year, I usually go last part of aug. some years few days into sept. for me depends on how my 2 wk on 2 wk off schedule rotates. this fall i'm going about week or so later hope to hit beginning of migration.
    i take my jet boat and run sag, ivashak and occ ecchoka.
    I probably have seen more bulls in Sept and in bigger groups but weather has been alot worse, cold, snow and wind.....some great weather as well just never know.
    this year it is possible that i might be doing july trip as well. not looking foreward to bugs if i do thou. there are terrible then. headnet is a must.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    It depends on what you want.

Caribou in velvet Aug

Caribou in hard antlers Sept

Hunt other animals while your up there. Aug 10th is usually the start day there for Dall Sheep, Ptarmigan.

Sept the bugs won't be bad as in Aug. The weather can change there in Sept. for day to day.

As when the herd moves through? That is the million dollar question. there is no real time. When ever the get there...
    Ditto,... i take a thermocell for the bugs, i use it when its time to skin my bou.. found them to work great.