Thread: Organizing halibut tackle

Default Organizing halibut tackle

Looking for some ideas on organizing my halibut tackle.Wondering if anyone has certain tackle boxes they recommend or maybe some kind of homeade setup? I can never find the right tackle box for the job and was kind of thinking of maybe I could build or make something,possibly from a 5 gal bucket.

My weights I keep in a military ammo can

Halibut rig I have pre made. I got a wood dial and hung that to the cabin of my boat. I just hang the halibut lures on it.

Jig, and other lures I have a soft shoulder carrying gear bag..

For my jig heads I have a 5 gallon bucket that I keep in my bait well. Middle of the bucket I have a gallon of herring oil.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default 3 pieces

mono rigs(dropper loop) in soft shoulder bag, super mutu hooks in tackle box, weights in cigar box.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Default Halibut Rig Storage

All weights are stored in an ammo can with felt padding in the bottom, the hooks are 16/0 and pretied with cord and swivels attached. These are stored in a small box by themselves and the large jig heads are hooked over a five gallon bucket edge. When there done they get stored in a small tackle box along with herring oil and extra swivels. use 1/2 size ziplocs to store the small items in the tackle boxes when possible.

dont get to fancy,they're just halibut.Not to whiley,not to smart,just a fantastic specie.Fresh hooks,no rust,nothing fancy.

ak4195

Quote Originally Posted by ak4195 View Post
    dont get to fancy,they're just halibut.Not to whiley,not to smart,just a fantastic specie.Fresh hooks,no rust,nothing fancy.

ak4195
    Very true. That is why I have a 5 gallon bucket....
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

The 5 gallon bucket works great. Put sinkers in the bottom. The take a 3gallon bucket to place over sinkers with other junk like hooks and jigs. You can even get a tool bag that fits on the outter rim for knives and other items. Place a lid on it and you have a seat. Coast Guard stops you and asked for your manual de-watering device and you are covered.