Thread: Shooting Restrictions @ Jim Creek

Default Shooting Restrictions @ Jim Creek

Yesterday I talked to two troopers at Knik on the way back to the parking lot. Right off the bat they ask me if I'm the one target shooting at the dunes. Nope that wasn't me, but there were a few out there popping off rounds into the dirt bank. Then the troopers informed me of the shoot restrictions in the Knik area. Right now they are giving out warnings but next month they will be handing out substantial fines. The troopers didn't really know exactly where target shooting was allowed within KRPUA but they knew target shooting is no longer allowed by the dunes.

Personally, I'm glad to see this regulation in tact and troopers out in the field that are enforcing the restrictions. Many target shooters have abused their priviliges over the years and done so in a very dangerous manner. It was only a matter of time before someone would have been shot in the dune area.

So this is just a heads up since not many people know about this restriction. Hunting is still allowed, but target shooting is a no go.

http://www.knikriver.alaska.gov/12_1...ctions_map.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Yesterday I talked to two troopers at Knik on the way back to the parking lot. Right off the bat they ask me if I'm the one target shooting at the dunes. Nope that wasn't me, but there were a few out there popping off rounds into the dirt bank. Then the troopers informed me of the shoot restrictions in the Knik area. Right now they are giving out warnings but next month they will be handing out substantial fines. The troopers didn't really know exactly where target shooting was allowed within KRPUA but they knew target shooting is no longer allowed by the dunes.

Personally, I'm glad to see this regulation in tact and troopers out in the field that are enforcing the restrictions. Many target shooters have abused their priviliges over the years and done so in a very dangerous manner. It was only a matter of time before someone would have been shot in the dune area.

So this is just a heads up since not many people know about this restriction. Hunting is still allowed, but target shooting is a no go.

http://www.knikriver.alaska.gov/12_1...ctions_map.pdf

If they don't know where/how to enforce the law, they don't need to be out there at all, IMO. I have no doubt they'll try and give someone a ticket for shooting in a "unauthorized place" when they don't really know if it's unauthorized or not. What are they going to do? Just cruise around next to the dune area and wait for someone to start target shooting? Then ticket that person and ONLY that person? .....yea, right.

I hate this. Same crap they pulled last year with the dipping regs on the Kenai

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

You can shoot further back on the river when you get to land owned by the native corp. A few of use that live out here in the area would like to see some kind of marker. I know this would be alot to ask for as i'm sure anything placed would be shot or riped out and burned.

22' SeaSport coho
    TigerBight call sign

There is a shooting range someplace on Knik river road, so Iím told. I think target shooting has been out since they made it a public use area, donít believe target shooting is allowed anyplace in the public use area. I think its crap myself, the target shooters are not the problem. The wild car burning, keg taping, pot smoking, shoot-um-up kid parties are the problem there. Now they want to stop anyone with a gun when they go there in the middle of the day and blame the damage on target shooters. Why donít they go out there 11pm or 1am on weekend nights and do something about the real problem?

Andy

Reckless target shooting in the area is a problem and has been out of control for awhile now. No one can convince me otherwise. I've seen people empty the entire contents of hi-cap mags at a target across highly used atv trails. The popular shooting spot right by Jim Creek has an atv trail on top of the back drop. I've had bullets literaly fly by me, so close I could hear the 22lr bullet whizz by while I was fishing. And that's only the begining.

In the winter I am usually the first in the parking lot and last to leave. Recently the troopers have already patroled the dunes by the time I get to the pavailion parking. They are looking for underage drinkers, bon fires, rowdy parties, target shooting by Jim Creek, and people burning/dumping vehicles. I've seen troopers by Friday Creek, Jim Creek, and at the pavilion parking lot the last five weekends in a row. I for one am glad they are keeping an eye on the area, but next time I see them I will give them a copy of the KRPUA shooting restrictions map.

I read this on the atv section for what it is worth.

Quote Argonut
    "I talked to the guy in charge of the kinik public use area last time I was out. He is one man with 2 part time assistants and has his hands full. He was out picking up trash and taking care of the trash bins in the parking lot. He is over worked and WAY understaffed. He told me that he gets part time help from off duty troopers and is looking to hire a full time assistant so he can get out of the office doing paper work and on the trail to make that area better. He said he was going to set up an actual shooting range so we all have a safe and legal area to shoot unlike some of these idiots that set up and shoot across the trail people are riding in on."

22' SeaSport coho
    TigerBight call sign

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I think its crap myself, the target shooters are not the problem. The wild car burning, keg taping, pot smoking, shoot-um-up kid parties are the problem there. Now they want to stop anyone with a gun when they go there in the middle of the day and blame the damage on target shooters. Why donít they go out there 11pm or 1am on weekend nights and do something about the real problem?

Andy
    That seems to be SOP for the ASTs.

It's easier to harrass people about their guns than to deal with the real problems.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

If it didn't appear that the same target shooters were the ones that were also dumping the tv's, washers, dryers, and every other type of trash to shoot at, I wouldn't have a problem with the shooting. I have watched guys shooting towards trails that had atv's driving by and it really is surprising that no one has been hit. If it is less shot up metal appliances to pick up this spring, I like the idea. It just comes down to a few bone-heads that ruin it for everyone!!
    EricL

I just think Troopers could talk to the kids with the old Maytag in the back of the truck, and the two guys dragging the 1982 Buick through the creak crossing with a chain may not have their civic duty in mind. This stuff is usually not there one evening but is early the next morning. That tells me it gets there late at night and someone must have put it there and filled it with the starting holes. I would not think it would take Sherlock Holmes to catch a couple of them doing it and at least slow it down.

Andy

agreed the bone heads ruined Firecracker lake for shooting with the trash..
    and it only takes a few people to make a mess....

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I rather think that the "boneheads" are also, the ones who close an area to everybody, instead of dealing with the offenders. OR providing an alternative that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

It's like they're just looking for an EXCUSE to close down something. For example, look at all the roads that are blocked by beeg ditches, or huge rocks. Some, are only beeg enough to provide a parking place, and yet the block it. They don't even want someone to PARK there.

They (?? powers that be) don't even want people to park along the road. They tried to keep people from parking along the road, down there by Portage where we dip for Hooligan. Then, I guess they gave up and put up some signs for the travelers.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.