Thread: Mushing Pics - The sun is back!

Default Mushing Pics - The sun is back!

I was clearing a trapline yesterday, then took a run up a sidecreek. The sun is back down on the river for about an hour now midday, was really great to not mush in the shadows for a bit:

Turned around at top of this stretch to take a shot, river jammed pretty good here during freezeup:

The trail is raised like that cuz of the big thaw we had for a few days in January; all the snow levels sank but trail was harder so it didn't sink as much.

Ran up a side creek for a bit, good going on frozen overflow with a bit of snow on top, a few wet patches. Was hoping to take short vid clip on way back but camera froze up right after this pic:

Temp was -20s, north breeze on way back and is -40 this morning as I post this. Looking fwd to spring mushing in March! Happy trails to all,

Awsome pics bushrat!
    Wish I was there to give you a hand on that trap line.
    Stay warm!

Ken

Mark, I think I've read a few places where you were either going to take more video or pictures but the camera keeps freezing up. Ever consider trying a handwarmer or something in the same pocket to keep some heat on it?

If you use the toe warmers instead of the hand warmers, they have a sticky side to them. You can stick them onto the outside of your batter to keep them from freezing up. Jan used them to take pictures of the Quest. They worked well.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

It makes my day evertime you show us pictures of that country. Great pics.

Default the Camera issues...

Thanks for tips on the camera in the cold. Old camera, a Minolta, didn't have this issue...batteries would get cold and I could swap out with fresh and it would still work. Got this new Canon Powershot for Christmas and it is the focus mechanism that is freezing up, doesn't matter if the batteries are warm, new, etc. Seems to be too much lube in the actual lens mechanism inside camera. Carried it inside parka one day and still had problem (but was -50 then).

Considered carrying it in insulated case, haven't tried that yet. Too much of a hassle digging it out each time I think. And it's a pain to carry it under parka too. Hoping it will work at temps near zero and above, won't know til spring.

Most excellent!

Its good pix you have there, makes me think hard.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....