Thread: Kimber 8400 Montana VS Rem 700 CDL SF

Default Kimber 8400 Montana VS Rem 700 CDL SF

My first post here, but I've been lurking through past posts gathering a lot of good information from other's questioning. I have recently been getting into the shooting scene, buying my first gun this month (Kimber 1911 Pro CDP II) and am now looking towards a hunting rifle for deer, elk, and possibly small bear. I have read praises for both the Kimber Montana and the Remington 700 CDL Stainless, both in .30-06. I like the synthetic stock of the Montana, but the CDL also a bargin in my opinion. These appear to be fairly competetively matched bolt actions. I am just looking to purchase the right rifle the first time. A decent amount of coin will go towards a Leupold scope as well. Anyone want to throw their 2 cents in?

Kimber......The closer you can get to owning a pre 64' model 70 Winchester, the closer you are to rifle Nirvana.

Wife had a Montana in 7mm/08. Neither of us liked it much. To light to shoot well and it had a "snap" recoil which she found unpleasant.
    It would occassionly fail to pick up a round from the internal magazine as well. I would not own another.
    Never had a failure to feed in any Rem 700 I ever owned but I do not like there trigger as it is prone to freezing up when in wet sub freezing conditions.
    My money would buy a Ruger or a classic model Winchester 70.
    Tennessee

I have not seen a single report of a Montana in 30-06 that would not shoot or feed well. Over the years in reading about Kimber Montana quality control issues, I would say the 7mm-08 singly has the most issues feeding and shooting accurately of any caliber Montana, cant say why , but its a fact. Comparing a 700 CDL SF to a Montana is not really apples and apples. The Montana weighs a pound less, and has one of the finest custom stocks available on the market, and the Rem has a wood laminate stock. If you slapped the Rem into a McMillan (the closest to a Montana in material) then your above Montana pricing and still a pound heavier (give or take). Both are good rifles, but when you take into consideration all that the Montana offers (CRF,Win style action,trigger,stock ,etc) , it really aint a fair comparison.

Default Kimber vs 700

I've owned both. 2 kimbers. All my remingtons out shoot my kimbers consistently.

Just my experience.

No feeding issues with either.

Default Take your pick

Handle all the models you are considering, if at all possible. Go with whatever rifle strikes your fancy, has the most features you find desirable and feels the best in your hands. I don't think you can really go wrong in almost any new rifle chambered in this cartridge. I believe it would be almost difficult to find a 30-06 Spr that wouldn't feed, function, and more than likely shoot quite acceptably. I have had or still own all of the models you are considering, not necessarily chambered in 30-06 but, still were in -06 based or long action cartridges. I have owned 8 Kimbers. The Kimber Montana 8400 long actions were chambered in 270Win and 300WM, good handling and fairly accurate rifles (for me the only Montana ergonomics that work well are the 8400 WSMs), don't care for the diminutive 84s (308 based) neither. Remington 700s, I have had more than I remember, mostly 25-06, 270 or 280 and custom AIs. The most recent Rem 700, 06 cartridge was a Rem 700 Mtn LSS in 280Rem. Nice little rifle about 6.5ibs bare, shot extremely well with a little trigger work. If you want a rifle you can tinker with, possibly customize in the future and has a multitude of aftermarket parts available, Remington is your huckleberry. My most recent acquisitions in -06 cartridge rifles are two of the new Win 70 Fwts: 270Win and 30-06. These are also very nice rifles that you might want to consider. It really comes down to personal preference, all rifles have their positive and negative attributes, you need to decide what is important to you considering your intent and purpose for your new rifle. Lots of considerations and a lot of good choices. The right rifle is the one that is right for you, very subjective. Heh, you've already successfully completed the difficult part - you've decided on a cartridge, more than adequate to accomplish most any mission, easy to load for and/or find ammunition and with all the loads available find one that will shoot well in whatever rifle you pick. Can never go wrong with a rifle in this chambering. Good luck in your decision. By the way Wenis, welcome to the Forum.
    Last edited by Timber Smith; 02-02-2009 at 01:16. Reason: almost forgot my manners

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

My vote is for the Remington. My Remingtons will consistently out shoot my Kimbers. After having to send two kimbers back last year for warrenty related issues and dealing with the rude customer service represenatives, I have no plans of ever buying another kimber.

I appreciate all the feedback guys. I'm going to see if I can get a hold of both these models to shoot them off first. I'm leaning towards the Kimber for the synthetic stock.