Thread: 440 polaris hard to start

Default 440 polaris hard to start

1991 440 Sport GT, twin carbs:
    I don't seem to be getting any fuel when trying to start it cold w/ the chokes on. It starts good with a shot of ether or gas down the spark plug hole. Even with full choke on, it may die once to 3 times before it stays running.
    I did have the carbs off and cleaned them. I was careful to not move the jam nut on the choke cable. There is about 1/8" play in the cable. Just because I moved them does not mean they were right in the first place.
    I am trying to look to see if I have any leaks that may cause the fuel to not pull through the lines. Haven't found anything yet.
    How do I ensure the chokes are adjusted and working correctly?
    Any other ideas?
    This machine has always been a bit of a hard starter. 20 pulls was not uncommon if it had sat for any length of time.

Default fuel pump?

LM forgot to log off of my computer. Darn kids.
    How often do the fuel pumps go bad? How would you know? I did pull the vacuum line off of the fuel pump and engine block. It checked out good, but was a little loose so I trimmed the ends and put hose clamps on to be sure it could not leak.
    I did note a hint of fuel on the inside of the hose that connected to the fuel pump. Hmmmm. Is that a bad thing?