Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska FOB Shooters Unite!

Default Alaska FOB Shooters Unite!

Who is onboard?

Got a picture of a FOB'd animal? Post it!

Taylor

I don't have a picture, but I did use one last summer on an impala. They are for real and they work! The best part is that they pop off your shaft and you know exactly where the animal was standing when it was hit.

I saw Marc's You Tube of the FOB'd bull moose. It was interesting to see the bull come in and look really hard at the cow moose decoy.

Matt

I'll probably be getting new arrows in March or April, and I'm giving some serious thought to FOBing it. I haven't heard a reason not to, yet.

Once you go FOB....you never go back....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i am seariously leaning that way for spring bear this year... just holding off on spending the $$ to re fit my bow at this time..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Marc.... got another question.... tuning broad heads with the FOB? balance, spin testing all that. what is the procedure? any different?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

As long as your broadhead does not make the bare shaft wobble when you spin it, there is no tuning with FOB's. I make sure that I have my bow tuned properly first so I can shoot a bare shaft at 20 yards. The only thing you must have is a drop away rest and the neccessary clearance on your rest or things come to a halt mighty fast.

Fobs are basically an airfoil that is circular instead of linear. It is a good concept, has less drag than fletching and from my experience stabilizes arrows as well as fletching if not better.

Matt

Can you use these with either a Drop Zone or a Ripcord or is it just the QAD ultra?

Default FOB Addict too...

Love mine to death. Decided to switch last fall and love the way they fly. I have a Shaky Hunter rest and they work just fine on it. Like Marc said, no tuning needed with them if you have your bow tuned well.

Already have a spot picked out for a ground blind this fall and starting to get some shooting in. Will post pictures for sure this fall!!!
    Dan

"May the gods keep the wolves in the hills and the women in our beds!" Menalaus -Troy

I'm currently utilizing a Limb Driver, but have also used a QAD. If you visit www.FOBNation.com, you'll find some stickys done by Paul Morris that will guide you through the tuning of your rest for perfect FOB flight.

FOBs work with a variety of rests. Not "just" any one rest. But NOT a hostage rest or biscuit-style rest.

Don't be scared... Go for it. If you have just a small amount of patience and decide to MAKE IT WORK, then you'll never look at a vane the same again.

FOBs require clearance because they are a rigid airfoil. Many shooters don't get proper clearance on their fletched arrows but don't know it because their vanes are absorbing the bump then moving on in a skewed, but consistent flight.

This is NOT a FOB-BASHING thread, please. If you didn't like them; fine. Good shooting to you!

Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Can you use these with either a Drop Zone or a Ripcord or is it just the QAD ultra?
    I shoot a drop zone with no problems.

Default Fob's

Been using them for years. I also use a drop zone rest. As for pictures I do not have any on this computer but back in 2003 I sent in a picture of a Fob'd ground squirrel ( at 60 yards with three witnesses) to Starr Flight and they never posted it on their site. I guess squirrels are not as cool to post as African game. As for tunning I try to line up the supports in the Fob with the blades on the broad head, probably doesn't make any difference, but couldn't hurt either. They simply just fly great.
    Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

Default Good Idea...

Let's list the rests that are reliably compatible with respect to FOBs. OR the trouble you had with a certain rest.

Thanks,
    Taylor

I use the Drop Zone rest and the FOBs shoot great! Thanks Marc! The only trouble I had was on my first shot. The FOB shattered when it ripped the adhesive arrow rack cushion off the front of the bow shelf. My clearance must be a little too close. Anybody have any ideas about this? Would a strip of moleskin work?

I use low-nap moleskin.

Taylor

Vapor Trail Limbdriver, no issues and easy schmeasy to set up.

I need to figure out what bow I am going to get and I am planning on going straight to the FOB. I have 3 things planned to purchase this year with my hazard pay. 1st is new Zeiss conquest for my sheep gun. 2nd is a Alpacka Fijord explorer raft w/ paddles, and last is a new bow. These three are definates, other purchases will depend on just how long I am in country.

One thing about FOB's I forgot to mention in a prior post: They perform very well in crosswind situations. Since we never have wind issues here in Alaska, this is probably of no interest to anyone.

Okay, that last sentence was sarcasm in case you have not encountered it before.

I did take a look at pictures from my hunt in S Africa to see if I had any with a FOB in flight and found none. I do have a short film on my computer where I shot an Impala and a FOB was involved. I slowed it down and watched it at 1/2 speed and could see the FOB pop off when it hit the hide.

They do work well, and they seem like the next logical engineering step for improvment in arrow flight. After seeing fletchings for so many years, FOBs look very out of place.

Matt M

Seems like a cool Idea, I guess, I'm just old fashioned I like feathers, seems ood even using vanes.

Do they work with axis arrows?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Lancaster View Post
    Seems like a cool Idea, I guess, I'm just old fashioned I like feathers, seems ood even using vanes.

Do they work with axis arrows?
    Yes. They make different size FOB's for various arrows. I shoot Axis arrows.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast