Thread: Help understanding regs

Default Help understanding regs

So I know that there is no spear fishing in fresh water. My question is how far in that rule applies at river/stream mouths. I have seen some guys spear fishing a good bit up into a stream mouth. Not sure if it would be legal being that during low tide they would be on dry land but on high tide they are in about 15-20 of brackish/salt water.

the regs say that saltwater begins at a line from the downstream most forelands

forelands meaning the mean high water mark

you must be completely submerged to spear fish under sport regs, so if you saw folks spearfishing and they weren't diving I'd suspect they were subsistence fishing or poaching
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Just so I understand, that means that wherever the average high water mark during high tide is the beginning of the stream? The guys I saw were snorkeling. They were definately completely submerged while they were fishing. Only saw their heads on occation when they came to take a breath.

Quote Originally Posted by chauvotsm View Post
    Just so I understand, that means that wherever the average high water mark during high tide is the beginning of the stream? The guys I saw were snorkeling. They were definately completely submerged while they were fishing. Only saw their heads on occation when they came to take a breath.

thats how I read the regs

This doesn't really apply to this situation, but can't you spear fish for pike? I guess I never really differentiated in my head above water or submerged spear fishing....

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    This doesn't really apply to this situation, but can't you spear fish for pike? I guess I never really differentiated in my head above water or submerged spear fishing....
    In southcentral you can, maybe the rest of the state too

You can in the interior also. In the mid 80s myself and a friend used to spear for pike it was a lot of fun and was also productive. We were selictive and of course only speared the ones we wanted. Our biggest was 17 pounds we did see bigger ones but you have to coax them into the hole to spear them and some will not come in. The draw back to this type of fishing is digging a 2x4 size hole in the ice which can be as deep as 5 feet up here in the interior. a hole is good for maby 2 to 3 weeks then you have to dig a new one.

Default Before anyone gets into trouble...

Reread through the regs. Says spearfishing is only allowed in salt water. Fresh water is defined as the mean low tide mark, not the high. Makes a bit of a difference in alot of spots.

fresh water
    means all inland waters; inland waters
    are separated from salt water at the mouths of creeks,
    streams, and rivers at a line between extremities of the
    latter’s banks at a mean low tide or at a point to be determined
    and adequately marked by the department.

In life, there are some things you can always count on; Death, Taxes, and....

Quote Originally Posted by nickoftime View Post
    in life, there are some things you can always count on; death, taxes, and....:d
    ha ha ha!!! :d