Thread: went out for dinner

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default went out for dinner

My dad came along for a run to "the spot", for king salmon, but we found that the ice and wear and tear tore up my linkage for the ez steer to the trolling moter, we decided to target bottom fish and found some nice cod! no ice augers needed here but it was cold! 9 degrees.

We are going to season with garlic salt, roll in instant potatoes and deep fry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Default Instant mashed potatoes

Is it as simple as that? The reason I ask is a buddy of mine tried a recipe with instant mashed and it ended in diaster. So if the are any more details to the recipe I would like to hear and we will give it another whirl.

Chuck

another great way to make them is to put saltines in your blender an pulverize them. add a few potato flakes and some flour and you are good to go!

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default 3rd time

Yeah, like you I heard about it and tried it. I purchased a deep frier and 5 gals of deep fry oil from costco when I was up in anc. The first fish was cod, and now my son and I are hooked! We used to be season and fry in olive oil. It is that simple.

You have to use the mix, not the potatoes mixed up, use dry mix. The 3rd time will be a charm, good luck.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

A real tasty option for cooking cod is a simple beer batter. Take instant pancake mix (the kind you only have to add water to) and substitute the water with a flat Alaska Amber (leave an open beer in the fridge the night before to make it flat). I then cut the fillets into 1" strips, dip them in the mix, then dip them in the fryer. Keep the oil at 350-375 degrees and cook a few minutes, removing after the fish floats. Serve with a fresh Alaska Amber and side of tartar sauce.
    Last edited by Larsenvega; 02-01-2009 at 00:20. Reason: clarification

Default Deep frying fish

Here is how I prepare my deep fried fish.

1st. I use peanut oil as you can get it as hot as possible and it won't burn. One other good point is that you never throw it away as it dosen't retain any of the flavors cooked in it. After you use it, just strain it and put it back in your container.

2nd. I pat the fish pieces dry and coat them with flour.

3rd. I dip the coated pieces in egg and then in whatever coating I'm using. (The best coating I have found is Panko (found in the oriental section of the grocery store)). Some other good ones are Pride of the West and Zatararins (out of Louisiana)

4th. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes for the coating to set up. This way, you will have very little flake off into the oil.

5th. I heat the deep fryer as hot as it will go and then put the fish in and cook until it just starts to float to the top and then remove. By using hot oil and peanut oil, you will not have oily fish.

Pop the top on that cold one and enjoy.

I have a friend who is alergic to peanuts. Wht is the next best oil?
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    I have a friend who is alergic to peanuts. Wht is the next best oil?

MOBILE1

Seriously, I just use Canola Oil.

Default Best oil

Not sure but when I was fishing with my dad in Wyoming ( over 40 years ago), he swore by Wesson oil. He claimed he could get it hotter in a dutch oven over an open fire without burning.

Quote Originally Posted by Larsenvega View Post
    A real tasty option for cooking cod is a simple beer batter. Take instant pancake mix (the kind you only have to add water to) and substitute the water with a flat Alaska Amber (leave an open beer in the fridge the night before to make it flat). I then cut the fillets into 1" strips, dip them in the mix, then dip them in the fryer. Keep the oil at 350-375 degrees and cook a few minutes, removing after the fish floats. Serve with a fresh Alaska Amber and side of tartar sauce.
    +1 on that recipie but add some cayanne pepper, garlic salt and some cornmeal and replace the amber with Alaskan IPA, a hoppier beer makes it that much better, works great for onion rings and bear battered fries too
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.