Thread: .450marlin reload

Default .450marlin reload

Looking for reload data for .450 marlin using bullets larger than 400gr. I have some 425gr hardcast,gas check bullets .459 dia. Have been on-line looking but not much info.also a lot of conflicting info. Would like to hear from anyone reloading for this round. Thanks.
    "All bureaucracies are the same. They drain the life out of the truly creative people and develop mindless paperpushers as their critical mass."

"You are a den of Vipers.I intend to rout you out and by the Eternal God I will rout you out.If the people only understood the rank injustice of our money and banking system there would be a revolution before morning"--Andrew Jackson 1828

I can give you a couple maximum loads for the 450 Marlin that was posted on the Marlin Forum site. When pushing these bullets to these velocities/pressure you are going to feel some serious recoil. I would suggest keeping around 1,600 FPS with 420/425 grain slugs. You won’t give up much in the way of penetration but the felt recoil will be much better. If you go up into the 500 grain weights – I would suggest pushing them as hard as you can, because obviously you have a need for that type of bullet, so **** the recoil and go for the gusto. H322 works very well with that caliber and heavy bullets. I will be working up a few loads for the 450 this coming summer using the 500+ grain HC bullets over a chronograph, so if you want, drop me an e-mail around July and I'll share my "black & blue" findings with ya.

420 grain HC bullet from Jae Bok Young (called Crater Lite)
    48.7 grains - H322 powder
    Federal 210M primer
    New Hornady Brass

av vel- 1902 fps (test barrel)
    std dev - 7fps
    es- 17fps
    av corrected pressure 43,100psi
    velocity from . 450 Guide Gun 1765fps

550 grain HC bullet from Jae Bok Young (called Crater)
    38.0 grains - H322 powder
    Federal 210M primer
    New Hornady Brass

av vel- 1517fps
    std dev - 5fps
    es- 15fps
    av corrected pressure 43,000psi (.450 Marlin max av is 43,500psi)
    cor fac +4800 included

Take a look at these sites:
    http://www.competitor-pistol.com/jb%20home.html

http://beartoothbullets.com/open_sight/archive_open_sight.htm/21

Thanks Joe. Thats a lot more than I had been able to get. I hope my memory can last till July. If so I will get back with you. Thanks again.
    Anyone else that wants to add to this is certainly more than welcome.
    "All bureaucracies are the same. They drain the life out of the truly creative people and develop mindless paperpushers as their critical mass."

"You are a den of Vipers.I intend to rout you out and by the Eternal God I will rout you out.If the people only understood the rank injustice of our money and banking system there would be a revolution before morning"--Andrew Jackson 1828