Thread: .243w on a Jack.

Default .243w on a Jack.

While back,Younger son Jon went for a ride with an eye for Caribou...so he took his .243w and drove to a high spot on Ashagonik Mt. and looked about. Saw no Caribou, but did see this guy and shot him in the heck, rather nicely.

If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

That thing looks huge. Is that an Arctic Hare?!

Yes, it is an Arctic Hare, also called" Kunisiigruuq", "Jacks" and "The big Rabbits"(LOL!) around here.
    Often they run in packs of 1/2 dozen to 30 or 40 if the feeding spot is good and they gather. We find them where the Caribou paw out snow, down to the tundra, and the Jacks take advantage of the holes to feed.

We find them on ridge tops and hillsides, feeding in the holes, and hiding among the brush that lines the low beginnings of creeks.

I usually carry two rifles, a large caliber (My Mosin) and a .22lr if Im on a boat or snowgo. Jon just took his .243w and did what he could.

Default Not too big

Stanger, nice job by Jon on the rabbit and I say the 243 isn't too big for those BIG rabbits. Like Ruark said, use enough gun. I certainly enjoy all your posts and especially the pictures. Thanks for sharing, Mark

Thanks...

You know, with all the magnumitus around, some on this board would say he was UNDERGUNNED!! ~LOL!!!!!~

Thanks for the pic. I always wondered how they would look when compared to something. Just seen pictures of them sitting on the ground. Kinda hard to tell how big they are. Cool to know that there is a rabbit around you can shoot with a 243

Default great posting stranger

really enjoy your postings stranger in a strange land....as a young teacher 27 years ago the brilliant people of kivalina alaska gave me a new education on guns and hunting that was much different from the magnum mania i grew up with in northern west virginia....

i saw several big polar bears killed with 25-06, 243 and 30-30......several fat grizzlies cleanly killed with 243, 250 savage and 22-250. lots of fun to hunt with the kivalina people...they were good to me and i'll never forget my years there....some of the finest people on the face of the earth. mountaineer

Default wow

that sucker is huge.....it looks bigger than my beagle....i think she'd run away if she say a pack of 30.....or that might just be like beagle heaven
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Id love to see my beagle after one of those things! Ive been trying to figure out how I can get him after one. But I think the expense is going to keep me from doing it.

Beagals and Jacks....almost the same size, eh?

Find a good mountainside or steep hills with willows, and you'll find Jacks.
    I bet your guys Beagals would find good running on the windswept ridges.

I got a nice young one today, in the willows by the river. He must have been "passing through" as I tracked him by a Tundra lake and he followed the hard pack trail I was taking home (lots of soft deep snow lately)
    When I caught up to him , he was crossing the open river, he hopped away and stood still in the willows, untill I hit him with the .22lr....

Moutaineer, you remember Carl Swan? My good friend, you probly taught. Good hunter nowadays as well.

Run for cover, night of the Lepus revisited!!!!
    NRA Lifetime Member

Wow! I'd love to have those arctic hares here. The blacktail fawns aren't even that big!! How much do they weigh?

So, how do they taste?

They weigh about 10-15 lbs and taste "Great", but like Rabbit...~LOL!~

Fact is they taste alot like Caribou, because they are very mild and kinda sweet from the frozen berrys they eat.

You can easily influence the taste with sauces and spices.

Dang that baby's got some hindquarters! Probably a TON of meat on the backbone for stew.
    Xtra ration of sailorboys n jam for Jon i spose

ak4195

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    They weigh about 10-15 lbs and taste "Great", but like Rabbit...~LOL!~

Fact is they taste alot like Caribou, because they are very mild and kinda sweet from the frozen berrys they eat.

You can easily influence the taste with sauces and spices.
    I would LOVE to have a couple of those for the grill.

I love cottontail, and if they taste anything like them...wow

Anyone saving the pelts on these? I would buy some for a project if anyone has any that big.