Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's in your freezer?

Default What's in your freezer?

So I was looking at the freezer and am thankfull that I can share in some of the bounty of the wonderful state of Alaska. We have 30+lbs of blueberries, 10+lbs of cranberries, quarts of juice made from rosehips, a moose, a sheep, some caribou from last year, some crab from Haines, some copper river reds, some halibut and who knows what else.

I love Alaska and feel fortunate to live here.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

My ex wife.
    Sorry,lol, I couldnt resist.
    Plently of reds, a few silvers, some halibut, and lots of deer meat from last year. With the limit being three and son and I always getting our limit we are hard pressed to eat it all.
    Hope to add a few caribou at the end of the month!

Default Freezer

Not only in Alaska, but in Oregon we have plenty. I have halibut, salmon, albacore tuna, antelope, mule deer, a bit of last year's moose, black berries, and huckleberries. The pantry has home canned salsa, relish, pears, apples, peaches, and venison. I like to know where my food come from.

Red and king salmon, halibut, ling cod, fresh moose backstraps and tenderloin. We are waiting on the rest of my moose to be processed at Indian Valley. Alaska is awesome and the bounty she offers is incredible!!

Thumbs up Full Freezer...

Moose, Reds, Silvers, Halibut, Grouse,(Elk, Bison not from AK) and one lonely King Fillet...

Alaska has definitely fed my family...and I am thankful every time I lift that freezer lid.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Default If your hungry here, you're to lazy to go to the Freezer

From this year ,Halibut, King/SS/Red Salmon, Grouse (about 60 spruce hens), from last year, Moose sausage/bratwerst/liverwerst/burger, Caribou burger/sausage/salamie/pastramie all commercially vac-packed and look like they were put in the freezer yesterday. Leaving for Kodiak on the 12th and hope to add some Deer to the mix.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Default freezer

Halibut,salmon, moose, deer and wild hog, lots of all of it.

Doug

3 caribou, grouse, ptarmigan, ducks, tons of reds, slivers, halibut, and kings.
    Least to say it has been a good yr....every yr is a good one when you can get outdoors and get away from everything.

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Talking In the Freezer

We have Moose, Caribou, Grouse, Reds, Silvers & King Salmon, Blueberries and Halibut. It has been a great year and the family will eat great all winter.

We have fresh moose that I caught couple weeks ago ( just got back from Indian Valley), King salmon from the Kuskokwim, Silvers from Hope and Bird Creek, Clams, Halibut, Seal, Muktuk (whale blubber), fish strips, and lots of blue and salmon berries. Gotta love Alaska! As Ted Nugent says Kill em and grill em!

moose, caribou, muskox, ducks, swans, geese, salmon, goat, crab, halibut, rockfish, ptarmigan, pheasants (from WI)

Thumbs up

Boy, we are "eatin good in the neighborhood" huh?!?!?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default time to warm up some

brown squirrel, dove, quail, redfish, mahi, mangrove snapper, crappie, whitetail: of course all the backstrap and tenderloin is eaten fresh after last weeks bow kills, gatortail, bullfrogs, and some dall sheep from alaska.

Moose, caribou/reindeer, seal, beluga muktuk, bowhead muktuk, beaver (haha....that's trapping bait and going out), goose, reds, silvers, YUKON KING SALMON, humpies, sheefish (from the Yukon R.), blueberries, salmon berries, blackberries(the western alaska kind) maybe some lowbush crans, and of course some good ol fashion Carrs/safeway BEEF!. Oh, probably some chicken, dried ptarmigan, and maybe.............maybe............sometime this month...........muskox.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default We don't have a freezer!

No freezer here, never had one, can't afford to run one on battery power. So a pressure canner and mason jars are what we use to hold things over here, and it keeps my wife busy canning all her home-grown vegis and gathered berries and such. We don't usually jar or dry foods like beaver, duck, grouse, as we eat those before they need to be frozen or jarred.

Right now we have jars and jars of smoked grayling and whitefish, smoked salmon, blueberries, cranberries, cloudberries (asst. jams and jellies), moose tongue and heart, pickles, tomatoes, peppers, etc. We usually jerk some meat for trapline food. Didn't get a bear this summer, so no jarred bear meat this year. Low on fat and could have used a fat bear going into winter. May have to use beaver grease for that later on this winter. Moose is hanging in the meat shed now, on the bone. Had marinated backstraps for supper last night and sure was good.

Sounds like a lot of us still "subsist" off the land and waters of Alaska to a large degree, no matter where we live in the state. I'm glad to see so many appreciate and utilize the bounty our state provides.

Cheers, Mark
    "Food is where we daily explore our harming of the world" ---Gary Snyder

Halibut, trout, grayling, king, grouse, strawberries and raspberries

Cool Freezer food

Bald eagle, great horned and great gray owl, raven, my good 'ol hunting partner "smokey" (lab mix), polar bear, 14 spectacled eider's, Stellar sea lion, and one short-tailed albatross (tastes like chicken).
    Mmmmm...it should last me until it freezer burns.

I've eaten great gray owl. Last time I cooked it I put too much curry powder in it and won't eat it again. They're stringy anyway.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default a goat, a sheep, and some sockeyes

not too shabby, huh.....
    Man, this is a great place to call home.

Default Wow, what a haul!!

Ok, as near as I can tell here is the list so far. Imagine the Wildgame Feed we could have if we got all this in one place! I only have one thing to say:
    WHAT! NO BLACK BEAR!! or did I miss it.

albacore tuna
    antelope
    beef
    berrie straw
    berries black
    berries black w.ak.
    berries blue
    berries cloud
    berries cran high bush
    berries cran low bush
    berries rasp
    berries salmon
    bison
    brown squirrel
    bullfrogs
    canned apples
    canned peaches
    canned relish
    canned salsa
    canned venison
    caribou
    clams
    crappie
    deer blacktail
    deer mule
    deer whiteail
    dove
    ducks
    dungy crab
    elk
    gatortail
    geese
    goat
    grayling smoked
    grouse spruce
    halibut
    hog wild
    huckleberries
    mahi
    mangrove snapper
    moose
    muktuk
    muktuk beluga
    muktuk bowhead
    muskox
    pheasants
    ptarmigan
    quail
    rockfish
    rosehips
    salmon humpies
    salmon king
    salmon red
    salmon silver
    salmon smoked
    seal
    sheefish
    sheep
    swans
    whitefish smoked

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast