Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If Redoubt Blows it's top...

Default If Redoubt Blows it's top...

If Redoubt Blows its top what effect will that have on the fishing in SC, assuming of course that the event is similar to 89-90? Did it affect the salmon runs that year? Did it adversely effect that year's juvenile salmon?
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default probably not much, if any...

ash is a pretty good fertilizer, might be good for sockeye smolt in the lakes.
    i can't think of any deleterious effects...
    if we get ash on snow we will have a pretty rapid and complete melt off come spring, but that's no big deal.
    make for a good spring bear season though <grin>!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I never noticed anything different after the last blow other than all the lakes in SC seemed to break up very early. I know we were trout fishing pretty early in the spring of 90
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default No prob

Like many of you on this board, I have been through many eruptions from Augustine every 10 years, to Redoubt, to Spur... and these are only ones that I had direct experience...

I believe that Homerdave is right on with his comments.

The only thing that I can say for sure is if you get ash on your windshield, use a lot of water to rinse it off before using your windshield wipers. Otherwise, change the oil, new air filters, wash the car (or boat if outside) in and out and you'll never know it happened.

The ash will stick around for a while... sure it will be buried in the snow, but in summer, when things dry out, there will be ash dust in the air every time the wind blows, but again, change the filters and oil and life is good.

I don't think that there are any detrimental effects to fish or wildlife.

Talking

When Mt Saint Helen blew, within 2 years the fishing in the lakes as far away as Spokane improved big time. Bigger and more fish. I was told it had some thing to do with all the nutrients in the ash. They (FS AND G&F) said that Spirit Lake on Saint Helen was going to be dead, but it was not, again bigger and more fish.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    I never noticed anything different after the last blow other than all the lakes in SC seemed to break up very early. I know we were trout fishing pretty early in the spring of 90
    Really??? You can remember that long ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    When Mt Saint Helen blew, within 2 years the fishing in the lakes as far away as Spokane improved big time. Bigger and more fish. I was told it had some thing to do with all the nutrients in the ash. They (FS AND G&F) said that Spirit Lake on Saint Helen was going to be dead, but it was not, again bigger and more fish.
    I lived in Portland at that time and I can say that the Toutle River was a little murky during the summer of '80.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtface View Post
    Really??? You can remember that long ago?

Remember what???????
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Volcanos have no rules......

You seem to be assuming that if Mt Redoubt erupts that it will be similar to what happened in 1989/1990. However, what happens if it erupts and dumps 2 feet of ash over all of SC Alaska, including the Kenai Penninsula and all of Anchorage?

Just outside of Portland, Oregon (my location) there are layers of rock where the volcanic ash from Mt. St. Helens is over 2 feet thick. Those layers are not that old....

My point is that volcanos don't play by a set of rules. All of the volcanos around Cook Inlet (and Oregon) are capable of producing enough volcanic ash to crush every house in Anchorage (or Portland), if the wind is blowing the right/wrong direction. They've done it in the recent past and they could again. Volcanos are dangerous and unpredictable. I'm not an alarmist, but I would not underestimate what could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Cohoangler View Post
    You seem to be assuming that if Mt Redoubt erupts that it will be similar to what happened in 1989/1990. However, what happens if it erupts and dumps 2 feet of ash over all of SC Alaska, including the Kenai Penninsula and all of Anchorage?

Just outside of Portland, Oregon (my location) there are layers of rock where the volcanic ash from Mt. St. Helens is over 2 feet thick. Those layers are not that old....

My point is that volcanos don't play by a set of rules. All of the volcanos around Cook Inlet (and Oregon) are capable of producing enough volcanic ash to crush every house in Anchorage (or Portland), if the wind is blowing the right/wrong direction. They've done it in the recent past and they could again. Volcanos are dangerous and unpredictable. I'm not an alarmist, but I would not underestimate what could happen.
    So tell us how that ash effected the fishery there. I would be interested to see what other people think it would do to our fishery if Redoubt droped a foot plus of ash on us.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

I lived in Wyoming as a small child when Helen's blew. Wyoming got some of the dusting too... then I moved to Alaska within that same month. Interesting how lifes changes yet stays the same in some ways.

The difference is the placement and disposition of the magma as well as the rock chemistry surrounding it. Ask a geologist in your area.

Also Ash is a natural and very powerful fertilizer. Besides making the grass greener, your garden thrive. It also can fertiloze the waters (rivers, lakes, streams, etc) and the banks making things thrive like you wouldn't believe. The year after redoubt blew in 89-90 up here the fish were great (trout, salmon, etc) a little dusty from the ash blowing around, but not bad. Then again... would you rather have ash in the air or wild fire smoke?
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Mt. St. Helens is a totally different situation than Redoubt. I would just listen to what the USGS says and not worry too much about it. Pick up one or two air filters for the truck, washer fluid, etc.

Default Redoubt?

Any news on Redoubt? I haven't heard anything lately and wondering how it is perculating now? Thanks, Mark

http://www.avo.alaska.edu/

Link to the Alaska Volcano Observatory.

I would not be the least surprised if it just kind of fizzled out.

For now.

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    So tell us how that ash effected the fishery there. I would be interested to see what other people think it would do to our fishery if Redoubt droped a foot plus of ash on us.
    Kodiak has done ok since 1914 I believe there was 5 feet of ash from novarupta
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    http://www.avo.alaska.edu/

Link to the Alaska Volcano Observatory.

I would not be the least surprised if it just kind of fizzled out.

For now.
    Doubtful... it can rumble for months before it blows. I wouldn't stop keeping a close eye on it.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Engines breathe too.

I would be more worried about my outboard, as they do not have air filters, get caught in ashfall and destroy an engine. I've been told it only takes 8 oz of dirt to wear out an engine (over its life, however long or short).
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

However, volcanic ash isn't "dirt"... it would be similar to taking very finely powdered sand blasting abrasive compound and running that through your motor. All the unfiltered 2-strokes and similar small engines can be quickly destroyed by ash. Summer is a terrible time for an eruption and the ash will not only fall, but will continue to be blown around by every breeze and all the vehicle traffic for weeks to months afterward.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I guess it is no longer if.

Yep, she popped her cork last night.
    Who had 10:30PM March 21st in the pool?? ?? ??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast