Thread: Impact of eruption on fall hunting

Default Impact of eruption on fall hunting

Just curious as to what impact, if any, the volcano will have on this fall's hunting season. For those of you that remember the last time it blew, did it interfere with visibility, air-taxi access, glassing etc.

Default Volcano

Please don't jump the gun(pun intended) were not there yet. Life is tough enough let's not add this to the pile. Not giving you a hard time. I know you mean well and so do I.

Default uh... it's winter right now...

if it blows now it won't mean squat in the fall.
    were we to get a good ash layer on snow then as soon as that layer comes out in the spring the snow will melt incredibly fast... make for easy travel in the high country, and maybe an early start to spring bear.
    the effects of volcanic eruption are acute, not chronic, but the scenario where she blows every few weeks for a few months might get pretty old....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Question

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5-284 View Post
    Just curious as to what impact, if any, the volcano will have on this fall's hunting season. For those of you that remember the last time it blew, did it interfere with visibility, air-taxi access, glassing etc.
    Last time it happened, it was in Aug/Sep. The following spring, when bear hunting, I watched Caribou coughing and wheezing, while trotting in single file formation, through knee high brush. That fall and for about three or four years after that, the Caribou did not frequent the area at all. They changed their patterns entirely. It has long term effect, on plants as well. NO ONE with an airplane will knowingly get close to ash in any amount.
    SP
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

The Nelchina herd left this area for a long time. Nowadays we get some small scattered groups here and there. I remember getting caribou here in the yard. Not a one since then. Hunt/trapping partner remembers getting a couple bou south of here, their teeth worn down to the gum line. What little ash this area got did have long term effects.

It was bad for several years in Eureka the dust in the brush was choking. I was reading that volcanic ash will not dissolve. It will suspend in water for a time but won't get any smaller.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Correct. Ash is pumice. It does not dissolve nor does it sink in water. But it does not do well in salt water as it does on dry land.

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    It was bad for several years in Eureka the dust in the brush was choking. I was reading that volcanic ash will not dissolve. It will suspend in water for a time but won't get any smaller.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by upinak View Post
    Correct. Ash is pumice. It does not dissolve nor does it sink in water. But it does not do well in salt water as it does on dry land.
    That's good to hear. Do you suggest we wash down all our rigs and gear with Salt Water, to get the ash off?
    SP
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    if it blows now it won't mean squat in the fall.
    were we to get a good ash layer on snow then as soon as that layer comes out in the spring the snow will melt incredibly fast... make for easy travel in the high country, and maybe an early start to spring bear.
    the effects of volcanic eruption are acute, not chronic, but the scenario where she blows every few weeks for a few months might get pretty old....
    Actually the ash will foat around for years, and has the possibility of changing weather patterns. So this potential eruption has a good chance of effecting fall hunting.

A lot of really good information floating around this thread.....as I roll my eyes.