Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heading to Kodiak!!!

Default Heading to Kodiak!!!

I'll be on Kodiak June 29th - July 3rd. We'll be on the salt twice - but was wondering what streams & rivers would be the best bet for reds that time of year?
    Thanks,
    Olsby

Default Lucky you

Pasagshak is your best bet on the road system for reds that time of year.

The run in the Buskin usually peaks earlier in June - although it was pretty much a complete bust (closed season) last year - so who knows.

The Saltery River should also be pretty hot, and you can keep more fish typically, but you need to book an guided ATV trip or otherwise arrange transportation. The road is not suitable for standard vehicles.

That's about the extent of your red fishing on the road system. Pasagshak should be more than enough to keep you busy, and if you can get to the Saltery, even better!

Dollys can be found in any of the rivers and streams.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

We're planning a trip for 2010, heres the books I will read.http://www.alaskaauthor.com/

Default you might get lucky...

some of the locals walk out to the mouth of Monoshka and pick up Kings that time of year

enjoy your trip

i return mid-september...

rosenberg/florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Quote Originally Posted by 2PawsRiver View Post
    We're planning a trip for 2010, heres the books I will read.http://www.alaskaauthor.com/
    Definitely buy the book, I'm glad I did! It's a quick read if you're a fishing maniak like me, although you'll read it over and over. I'd also recomend the "Highway Angler" by Gunnar Pedersen. Two books that are a must have for us wannabe Alaskans!

I'd also recomend the "Highway Angler" by Gunnar Pedersen.
    I have that one as well and have about worn it out.........Gunnar is here from time to time. My hopes are to get an autographed copy of his most recent addition............would like to do the same thing with Mr. Rosenberg's Kodiak Fishing book.......you guys out there.

This link might be very helpful to you...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=45811

Default search this forum!

You will get alot more honest info from this forum than those pump up garbage books!! They are paid to tell you to hire everybody under the sun and really tell you nothing special!! I live in Kodiak and was extremely dissapointed at the misinformation. Ask specific questions on this forum and get way more value for free than from people that write about it from other states!

Quote Originally Posted by dieNqvrs View Post
    You will get alot more honest info from this forum than those pump up garbage books!! They are paid to tell you to hire everybody under the sun and really tell you nothing special!! I live in Kodiak and was extremely dissapointed at the misinformation. Ask specific questions on this forum and get way more value for free than from people that write about it from other states!

I couldn't agree more....good, LOCAL experience is the ticket! I'll gladly pay for a book written by a local, who has fished the local surrounding waters regularly (...not just for a few weeks out of the year, while on vacation from out of state!)

This kind of reminds me of that guy, Vic Vickers, who was running for U.S. Senate (R-AK)....he hadn't even lived here for a full year-- and was from FLORIDA!!!! Did you really think he was in tune with most state issues and the history associated with them?

A guy named Hank Pennington writes articles for the Kodiak Daily Mirror once every week or so. These articles have taught me a lot abut fishing (and hunting) here on Kodiak. I am pretty sure the paper is online.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJimmers View Post
    I couldn't agree more....good, LOCAL experience is the ticket! I'll gladly pay for a book written by a local, who has fished the local surrounding waters regularly (...not just for a few weeks out of the year, while on vacation from out of state!)

This kind of reminds me of that guy, Vic Vickers, who was running for U.S. Senate (R-AK)....he hadn't even lived here for a full year-- and was from FLORIDA!!!! Did you really think he was in tune with most state issues and the history associated with them?

Well said...My thoughts exactly!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RastaHunter View Post
    A guy named Hank Pennington writes articles for the Kodiak Daily Mirror once every week or so. These articles have taught me a lot abut fishing (and hunting) here on Kodiak. I am pretty sure the paper is online.
    Hank is the man I'd like to fish with him someday... My gf's mom sends me clippings of his articles, he beats the crap out of Medred for sure... He's also got a bunch of flies to his name in the AFF "flies of Alaska" book including the halibut deciever and a couple crazy charlie variations for pinks.

P.S. I thumbed through Bernard's book a bit ago and it looked ok, not super commercial as far as I could tell but it was definitely written from the perspective of an outsider and didn't look to appealing to me, might be a good read if you were a tourist looking for another tourists POV. I'm not really one for people pimping out streams and lakes in their books, which just about everyone does. I prefer the old fashioned way of getting fishing information, that is go to the local fly shop, pick up a pattern or two and a hat and ask whats biting where, much more accurate than a book (or internet forum in the middle of winter). Mac's is the place you want to check out. Don't get me wrong I enjoy reading a good fishing book but I'd prefer the streams to be nameless for the most part, it makes it a fun challenge to try to figure out where they are.

Good luck on your trip.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I just got through with 4 weekends of fly tying classes with Hank. There was only me and one other guy so we got through a bunch of patterns and just listening to him give fishing tips and tell stories for 4 hours a day was worth a heck of a lot more than the cost of the class.
    ...cant wait untill this ice is gone.

Default Kodiak

If you never been to Alaska or Kodiak I would highly recommend reading the books. It does not matter where the author lives. The information provided is a good starting point for any trip. Information and knowledge is key in understanding the area you plan to fish, and maximizing your success. Also a lot of locals keep there fishing spots a secret. Alaska Fishing is my favorite book. The Fly Fishers Guide to Alaska is another good book written by Scott Haugen an Oregon resident and writer for Fish Alaska magazine.

Asking at the local shops is not reccomended by me. A good fishing buddy works at one of the shops here and makes a game of giving misinformation. He thinks it's funny to set up a wild goose chase, sell some obscure lure, or whatnot. People will do anything he says, no questions asked. I'll admit it's funny as heck to watch. Hang out at the fish cleaning station at the main harbor in town and see who is doing all the filleting. Talk to people, lots of locals are more than happy to show a good spot or technique.

Default That sucks

Why would your "buddy" do that? That is really iinconsiderate Remember what goes around comes around

Default No books!, Call local Biologist.

The point is you can get more valid info for free off this forum and some searches to the internet or calling the local biologist, than some jokers peddling their books from Oregon, Florida and beyond!!

Who ever is the @#$hole misdirecting from a local store on purpose should get curb stomped. That is totally unnecessary!! You don't have to give up secret spots. General info as a river to try is not a big deal.

The books don't give secret spots out, they give spots that are not as good to keep visitors out of their secret spots.

Call the Sport fish Biologists in Kodiak, there are three, Lynn, Don and Suzanne. Nice and very informative. Ask specific questions and you will get honest usable answers.

Also hire a guide for a half of a day, learn more about local technique and gear than some stupid book! Avoid at all costs!!!! No validity for a real fishing trip.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by LufkinMike View Post
    Why would your "buddy" do that? That is really iinconsiderate Remember what goes around comes around
    Yes, I agree, completely inconsiderate. He'll set up a little display of the "hot lures" for the week, and fill it with whatever. Mainly when the pinks are in thick. Don't get me wrong, he'll likely put you on the fish, but when they are not biting anything it doesn't matter what you throw at em. He is a young kid and pretty protective of his spots and techniques. Not trying to defend him, but you just can't believe everything you are told from a local. Anyone else at any of the shops will send you to the most crowded rivers on the island. If anyone approaches me at the cleaning table and are struggling to get fish, they will likely get a free personal lesson at an excellent spot. Gotta recognise the good from the bad info.

Quote Originally Posted by olsby View Post
    I'll be on Kodiak June 29th - July 3rd. We'll be on the salt twice - but was wondering what streams & rivers would be the best bet for reds that time of year?
    Thanks,
    Olsby
    Pasagshak will be hoppin, Buskin should be real good, but crowded as heck.
    Saltery can be PHENOMENAL, but I havn't fished it that early. PM me as it gets closer, I'll give you a "real" fishing report. My wife and child will be out of state during that time and I'll be fishing daily.

Thumbs up The Skinny on Kodiak

On Kodiak Salmon runs go in a clock wise fashion around the Island. Reds will start around the 1st of June in the Buskin then the next road system river is Pasagshak starting around the third week of June. Next would be the Saltery river but I don't refer clients until the 1st of July with better odds around the 6-7th of July. People have to remember that with only two rivers that carry Reds being readily accessible, yes your going to be sent to crowed areas. Then the next stop is the pink. They do the same thing but about 4-5 weeks later. That said they are in the Buskin close to the first of July, American the middle of July, Olds the 3-4 week in July, Chiniak the 1 week in August, Pasagshak the 1-2 week in August, and Saltery the 2-3 week in August. Next the Silvers do the same pattern. There are several stream in which I did not mention for pinks and silvers but if you look at a map it's pretty easy to figure it out.

Ocean Kings start in May go all year long. Silvers around the second week of July but are small in size. Halibut great all summer (still two fish bag limit), Ling after the first of July.

Do your self a favor if you coming to Kodiak make sure to get reservations early we tend to book up rather quickly. Also when you do go to find a guide....don't call and ask them who they recommend you go fishing with. This is kind of like calling a plumber too fix the sheeter only to ask them who they would recommend.

Good Luck, Once you come to Kodiak you'll never go any were else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast