Thread: Little Delta River

Default Little Delta River

Just wondering if anyone has floated this river and if so how far up did you start and any issues you ran in to? I did a search but didn't find too much info just about the log jams by the Tanana and people going up it in airboats.

Thanks,

Rob

I think its really braided and quite shallow

Default airboat

I have been up in an airboat. Very braided, very shallow. Good looking country, saw several caribou, a moose and a bunch of wolf tracks.

When I went, the river was so hard to read and braided enough that it was pretty rough on the boat. It was easier picking your way through the braids going upstream. Going down we had to go fast enough and had a hard enough time picking the right braid that we wound up banging the boat up. Don't think I would go up there again unless I had a really good reason to.

Pretty country though

frozen how far up did you get? How big of an airboat were you running?

I floated the East Fork from Hayes Creek a few years ago. The upper section is swift with a few occasional obstacles. The lower is quite braided and gets very shallow in some areas. In other areas it is swift with tight turns and many sweepers at cutbanks. I'd guess class I-III. The log jambs are no joke and come up on you quickly. I can't imagine that any airboats have been up since the river changed course and created the log jambs.

Thanks for the info n0g0d, I was hoping the wet fork would be floatable but from what you have said and from what I can see on the topos the west fork looks a lot smaller than the east fork.