Thread: Hatchers Pass

Question Hatchers Pass

Myself and a friend are looking at riding up at Hatchers Pass, has anyone been up there lately? The report says 36"-46" of base plus all this new snow we got in the last week and a half. How's the riding up that way?

I have heard that its slide city up there. A buddy of mine talked to a ranger up there and they said that it was the worst Avalanche conditions that they have seen up there in 10 years.

Just got back form Hatchers. Lots of new snow, maybe 12" to 18" of new powder on top of the harder stuff. Only road for 2 hours due to lack of visibility. Flat light, snowing hard, and low clouds made for a tough day. Should be great riding once it clears up some. Only saw one recent avalanche, but didn't spend much time up high since the visibility was worse up there. I wouldn't say it was the worst avalanche conditions in 10 years (but Hatchers is never a place I feel very comfortable). Was up there a year or two ago and every drainage and hillside had a fresh pile of snow at the bottom. Biggest danger will be the hidden rocks and the deep holes in the creek beds from the recent warm spell.

Well we didn't go last weekend, friend backed out and it was a little too chilly for the wife. So we are going to go this Sunday, anyone rode up there this week at all? I am hoping the snow is soft and the trails are smooth.