Thread: What do Y'all think about....

Default What do Y'all think about....

This rifle?

I'm laying around here the past few days, all stove up with a broke leg and nothing to do so I though I'd try to find some nice guns to buy.

What do you think of this one? Know anything about the maker?

http://www.gunsamerica.com/Classifie...941642438.aspx

Nice stocking job, eh?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Beauty is in the eyes!

Hi Murphy--Hopefully you will be out and about before spring time.

That is one really good looking rifle--seems like a very fair price to me. It would take me a while to get used to looking at it--about 2.16 seconds. It would probably take a while longer to get used to shooting it, though. I'm kind of a big baby.

Maybe this would be a good suggestion for the guys asking about a good all-around first Alaska rifle?

Or maybe not.

Regards,

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    This rifle?

I'm laying around here the past few days, all stove up with a broke leg and nothing to do so I though I'd try to find some nice guns to buy.

What do you think of this one? Know anything about the maker?

http://www.gunsamerica.com/Classifie...941642438.aspx

Nice stocking job, eh?
    Hope there's a good story behind that broken leg. Shame to waste an opportunity!

Grand looking rifle. For a heavy, I'd want a closer look at that "inside release." I've owned a couple that had a nasty habit of popping open with recoil. A'course one did it because my trigger finger would hit the blooming thing when the gun recoiled. Eventually fixed with a stronger spring, but short term fix was a wrap of duct tape over the bottom of the rifle. Sure hate to do that to such a nice piece of walnut (claro?) on your new rifle. New, stronger spring fixed the other rifle, too. You can guess that floorplate releases on heavy recoilers is now a "thing" for me.

A broken leg? Any teeth or claw marks to go with the broken leg? Ya finished him with a knife just like Clint Walker(Night of the Grizzly) huh Murphy?

Good luck with the bad wheel. I hope it mends well!

Might be a good time to uhm..er...write a book or something!

That is a Lott of rifle(pun intended). My question is can a rifle be to perdy to use? I'm kind of hard on stuff and one like that would be for looking at only.

Unless you're already familiar with the maker (I'm betting you are) then I wouldn't pay that much for anything without putting my paws on it first!

Smile

Bummer on the Bumleg... I won't ask - but I'm guessing the rear end cheek of an Arctic Jackazz? Just what gun, caliber, and scope would a guy need in Alaska for this size game? I feel sorta lazy and don't want to research much. lol

Hope you'll be in good repair soon and all the best!!!

---- Seriously tho' - That there LOT 'tis a really nice looking rifle and would appear to be at very fair asking. Is it something you'll use? I certainly would. Not my thinking that it's an investment piece, but at the same time believe you'd get your $$$$s worth for sure.

The action, barrel and such are likely up to par or better with the description. I'd wonder mostly about the stock ie. its pre-treatment (remember the older FN Browning Safari salt issues) and final finish as well as what kind of in-letting, bedding, plus work that was done with regards to recoil.

Default Rifle

Hate to hear about the busted gam. Hope it's right by spring.
    If I purchased this rifle it sooooo purdy, it would probably become a safe queen; as I tend to test a firearms construction.
    It's a Lott of gun never-the-less, never heard of the builder though.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I may be wrong but believe there is better for the same money.May be just the pics but the pad fit looks bad and question what the high gloss finish is on the stock,stock just don't look right to me I guess..The trigger seems way to light for a big bore but could probably be adjusted. Get the leg better and get back out there.

Very neat and beautiful rifle. I would have a hard time clanging it on branches and such though like some of the other guys. But you only live once, and if you never use it it just goes to waste!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I'm Sorry about the broke leg Murphy.

I hope and pray that it heals good.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Well, I was on my way to my ballet lesson, wearing my tights and leg warmers. Then, as I stepped out of the Hummer, I caught my tutu on the door hinge. The driver of the limo, anxious to get back to his poker game, hit the gas and briskly accelerated the vehicle out on to the icy street in busy traffic. It took a few blocks for the garment to rip and allow me to escape what would surely be certain death, just as we entered a busy intersection. It may have appeared to be a combination of Swan Lake and The Nutcracker Suite, more the latter than the former, but I was able to minimize personal injury by ending my performance beneath the wheels of a city bus......

Thanks for all your well wishes and for refraining from what must have been a strong urge to ridicule my inability to negotiate a patch of ice while afoot, but I'll be fine. And thanks for you comments about the fine custom Mauser. I will call the maker on Monday. And a special thanks for those who sent contact information for the maker.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Smile trigger?

Is a Timney trigger a good trigger for a gun like that? Hope your leg mends quickly.

I had a long and very informative conversation with Roy Bedeaux of Los Ranchos, New Mexico, today. We talked about an FN Mauser action and a stock blank of french walnut and the old classic caliber, 404 Jeffery. After seeing thie aforementioned 458 Lott and getting the particulars from him about that rifle, I am very much interested in having this guy build a rifle for me. He has some impressive credentials and very fair prices. I am gonna start that ball rollling very soon, maybe sell off a few common guns top raise a few bucks for this classic caliber old Mauser project. One year out to finished rifle, not bad at all.

What did Roy Bedeaux say about the custom FN 458 Lott?

Quote Originally Posted by 05floydljutictic View Post
    What did Roy Bedeaux say about the custom FN 458 Lott?

He said he originally made it in 1989 on a Husqvarna FN Mauser action (no Belgium proof) in 458 WM. It went to a customer in California then to Africa and was owned for about 15 years until Delta Gunshop contacted him to make it into a 458 Lott. (Delta listed it on Guns America last year in the 458 Lott caliber.) He converted it and sighted it in and made it to feed the Lott and returned it to Delta. Delta must have not sold it for the $2750 and it is now offered for $2588 and Roy said it would take at least $3000 to make it today.

I think this was the older listing.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/911835384...r_458_Lott.htm

It has, I think he said, Blackburn bottom metal and NECG 1/4 rib and front sights. He did all the work on the gun except checkering and he claimed it to be one of his finer pieces. It has several smaller appointments that make it something special, not to mention the stock. I'm sure it is worth the money but after talking to him I think I'll save my money and have him make me a Mauser in 404 Jeffery, so I'm passing on the 458 Lott.

Interesting, the price went down sometime today (was 2750 on Sunday). I asked Delta a question about it and part of their reply was "I hate to see this one go, it cannot be duplicated now for less than 6000.00".

If it will be strictly a scoped rifle, then it is a pretty girl you bet. If you want to use the open sights, it is worthless except in an emergency. And then be prepared to get your cheek bashed. You could have the chamber carefully reamed so you could use the full-length .458 Watts and the Lott.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default Couple Idears on that one...

Inside mag release doesn't sound 'kosher'. What is the mag capacity with belted rounds, two in the box and one in the pipe? The comb looks high if a fella had it in mind to use irons, and if a scope was used, I'd want a LOT of eye relief!
    Figured wood is purty to look at, but I think I'd want a piece of straight, tight grained walnut, perhaps a bit thicker through the wrist, and maybe the forend, but without having it in hand, it's tough to say exactly how it'd fit.
    I believe I'd want a stock on something like that to fit one sighting system, and not a compromise to use both.
    Scope on that one? Are ya gonna bust prairie dogs with it? A close miss should have enough vacuum behind the bullet to suffocate them, or even perhaps pull their lungs out their throat!
    Heal quickly!!! I'm sufferin' with plantar fasciatis in both feet....and the Doc ain't givin much hope outside of surgery. Course, gotta go through taping and injections and prescription footwear. I'm holding out till the new Prez gives 'em to me for nuthin'.
    BTW....I've done the ice-induced pirouette, then literally flew into a cartoon lookin ' legs movin' like buzzsaw blades' routine more than once. I HATE ending up looking like Bambi with all fours splayed out in an undignified landing. All I have to do now is look at ice and my sacroiliac starts hurtin' all over again just thinking about it!!!
    Take 'er easy!