Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Malamutes

Default Malamutes

I have decided to go with Malamutes.
    I don't have the desire for speed like I did in my younger, wilder days. I am more interested in working/freight dogs for trapping, hunting, fire wood and water hauling.
    I have been looking at some breeders and wondered if you all could give me some input on the good and bad you might have heard or expeirenced with them.
    I have been looking at "KingFisher's Malamutes" in Gakona.
    www.alaskamalamutes.com

There dogs really look like they would serve my purpose.
    They claim to have the largest Malamutes in the world?
    They are very good looking dogs.
    Price... YIKES!!!
    I never seen a dog cost this much!
    I know you get what you pay for, but are their prices within reason?
    $1,200-$2,200! per puppy.

Are there any Malamute breeders on this forum?

Thanks,
    Ken

I guess I should have noted "Giant Malamutes"
    I have been finding breeders all over the lower 48 and the prices are all about the same!
    I found a breeder about 75 miles from me here. I have emailed him to see if I can stop by for a tour and check out the dogs.

Those Giants are BEAUTIFUL DOGS!

Funny, the "Malamuit" were the Inupiaq Nation of Kotzebue and its drainages.
    When Whalers and Gold hunters arrived, they noted the small 2-4 dogs used in Southern areas, because most people were year round dwellers of the same fishing areas, and travled rether limited, with a few notable exceptions.
    The people of the Kotzebue sound were semi Nomadic, moving about all summer with boats and wintering in good fishing/hunting areas, with long sleds pulled by large Huskys, often 12 to a team (Alot of mouths to feed then) the dogs also pulled the boats along the shore in summer as well, and were well known as hard working dogs.

When these whalers and Gold seekers came, Malamuit dogs were in enough surplus that they were a trade commodity, and widely sold.

Might be chaeper to fly up to Selawik or some village and go around town looking for pups....
    They have a real Wolfish look, and can be quite large, and long in legs.

Just a bit from the inside.

I gave my good dogs to a fellow musher when we moved to town 4 years ago, but I know some good pups can still be had.

Sometmes I relly miss them, but we were located to a village with poor fishing. Now, were on Kobuk river again, and theres plenty of feed to be had, so with gas at 7.85$ a gallon, a few good pups would be a good start for myself...~LOL!~
    Smart dogs too.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default None of my business

But why would you chose Malemutes over Alaskan or Siberian , especially the money you're looking at . Here in Tok and places like Two Rivers will enable you to get long distance geared down Quest dogs for a fraction of what you're looking at . Malemutes are scrappers and just flat out big for hoisting in and out . A good team dog can be had for from 2 to 4 hundred dollars , I've bought gee-haw leaders for $500 . Malemutes are picture postcard but hardly desirable in my book compared to the alternative . Just my take .

My thinking was that the Mal's have the power instead of the speed.
    I will be looking for dogs to pull my firewood and water.
    It is real funny you are talking about Tok and Two Rivers, that is the 2 areas I am looking for land in.
    I may end up going with Huskeys. I just been trying to do all the homework on them all.
    I kinda like the idea of maybe flying up to Selawik or some other villages to look for pups. That would be an awsome experince.

strangerinastrangeland, thanks for the history lesson too. I love reading history. Real history, not the crap they put in the history books now a days. I have read a lot about the Giant Mals. already. I hope you find a few good pups your self!

Thanks for the responces!

Ken
    Last edited by trapperken2000; 01-31-2009 at 09:17. Reason: spelling

Sure.

Logman has it right, in his respect, because there are two different things to look for in a dog, and how you plan to mush.
    There is speed, and there is strength, but the two dont usually come in the same dog. Like a Porche or a pickup truck.....kinda...

Malamuit dogs are sorta big, and not the fastest at all, but they drag a big load. You will not win many compatitions with them pulling, but you will move big loads stedily.They also take the deep cold very well, and live on fish and scraps without a hitch.
    Racers around here have small skinny dogs, kinda like marathon runners in build, and maby some have some sorta Hound bred into them, as the hardcore racing mushers are always trying to find some more speed.

Keep in mind that your leader (leaders) are the key, and no matter what type of breed , they are the key to your mushing happyness.

Good luck.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

This is exactly my thinking strangerinastrangeland.
    I have no interest in racing, or even speed. I am looking for dogs that will basicly replace my truck for the winter. Haul fire wood, water, fish and game, traps and gear. Mush into a town if needed ect...
    I don't like the idea of a snow machine, just somthing else to buy gas and parts for!
    I love the dogs, always have and always will.
    I do think the Giants I am looking at are way out of my price range. I am looking at standards now also.

Thanks for taking time and writing back to me!

Ken

Does anyone here have or know of anyone with Malamutes from Liz Stevens at Ruby Mtn. Kennel in Knik? http://rubymtn.com/
    She has nice looking dogs on her web site. And they look good in a harness. They are standards.
    I am waiting on a return email from her.
    She does not list prices.

Thanks,
    Ken

Hey Ken, for those kind of prices you could probably get a clydesdale, LOL.

Thats what I was thinking Rick!

I was figuring to put a team together for about $2,000.
    Maybe $500 or so for a lead dog and maybe $200-$300 for team dogs each.
    Sounds like a fair price to me.
    I guess I will see when I get there.

I purchased a puppy from Kingfisher's about 7 months ago. We only paid 1,000 for him because he was sold with limited registration (which I really dont care about because I am never going to breed him). Anyway, he is a great dog and loves to hike the mountains with me. I am planning on taking him deer hunting this year as a pack dog. As far as their dogs being Giant's, My puppies brother was 110 pounds at 9 months. Mine is 80 pounds at 10 months so I guess there is no telling how they are going to turn out. I talked to Kingfisher's recently and they told me he will keep growing until the age of 5 and likely hit 150+ pounds. Another thing to consider is other malamute breeders outside of Alaska might sell their puppies cheaper but you are going to pay a hefty price to get them shipped here so it adds up about even in the end.

Thanks CGSwimmer.
    They do have beautiful dogs there.
    I don't mind driving to pick up a dog.
    I am always up for a road trip.
    $1,000 is a lot better than what they are advertising.

Not trying to start a p*ssing contest, but I respectfully disagree with some of the comments about malemutes being able to pull more load etc. Take logmans advice and look into getting ahold of some alaskans. Myself personally, I wouldnt mess with malemutes or siberians. If you want dogs that are easier to train, will work their hearts out for you, will come when called and will not tear each other apart every chance they get, you will be well served to look into long distance type alaskan huskies. This is my opinion having run all kinds of dogs. I currently have a 25 dog kennel of alaskans and we can turn 10 or 15 dogs loose at a time and they will each come when called and jump on their houses to be hooked up. Not many who have siberians or mals can trust them like that, IMHO.

Better yet find someone who will let you run their dogs. See for yourself, what an alaskan is capable of compared to a mal or siberian. You can find well bred dogs very cheap in AK. This is dog mushing heaven....

Regardless of what breed you decide on, if you are looking for WORKING dogs. Find someone who is using their dogs for WORK and get your dogs or pups from them. They are the people who are breeding for a practical work ethic and good traits for working. Throw out the idea of pedigree, the AKC mentality has got alot of the best traits of working breeds culled from their gene pool.

Thanks for the input dkwarthog.
    That is why I like these forums. You can usually count on every point of view being posted.

Thanks again,

Ken

One other thought, have you talked to Bushrat or Wayne Hall about dogs. These are two guys that I know are using their dogs for bush work. Wayne's probably out of contact for awhile with the quest coming up, I would bet tho.

Good luck and remember: take it slow on the number of dogs. If I could start out all over (and wasnt planning on doing any distance racing) I would have 6 or 8 dogs total. If i was just hauling wood, water, etc, I would have 4 dogs that lived and breathed work ethic.

Btw, if you look into the bloodlines of alot (most) great quest dogs, I think you would still find a foundation in the village huskies. Huslia, Koyokuk, Shismaref, etc. These were the "original" work, trapline dogs. Leggy, tough, easy keepers.

we have a beautiful dog out of bushrats line, she is 2 1/2 yo right now and about 65-70 pounds. hoping to find a good big mal or husky sire for her next heat, which will be in a month or so. we want to keep two pups for a 3 dog team, but we may end up purchasing or adopting the stud, since we are having trouble finding a "loaner".
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    One other thought, have you talked to Bushrat or Wayne Hall about dogs. These are two guys that I know are using their dogs for bush work. Wayne's probably out of contact for awhile with the quest coming up, I would bet tho.

Good luck and remember: take it slow on the number of dogs. If I could start out all over (and wasnt planning on doing any distance racing) I would have 6 or 8 dogs total. If i was just hauling wood, water, etc, I would have 4 dogs that lived and breathed work ethic.

Btw, if you look into the bloodlines of alot (most) great quest dogs, I think you would still find a foundation in the village huskies. Huslia, Koyokuk, Shismaref, etc. These were the "original" work, trapline dogs. Leggy, tough, easy keepers.
    Hey, I'm handling for Wayne on the Quest. I just LOVE his big dogs. And you're right, he's been out at Two Rivers for a couple of weeks and we are leaving on Monday for Whitehorse. Here are some of his from the 06 Quest start.

Also I would like to recommend the Second Chance League here in Fairbanks. They rescue sled dogs, run and evaluate them, post about their strengths and weaknesses etc. Do a search for them to sign up for their emails. I second the fact that Alaskan Huskies are more suited to Alaska unless you are just going for "pretty". If you want an actual work dog, stick with the huskies.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

I wasn't going for pretty, just muscle.
    If I don't find the dogs I am looking for, I will look at the second chance. Actually I have been looking there already.
    I am just wanting to cut down the numbers of dogs to feed.
    Nice pics. Thanks for posting them!
    Have fun at the Quest!

Ken

I just went and looked close at the Second Chance dogs.
    There are only 12 dogs and most have not been updated since 2005 and 2006. Are these dogs even in the program now? The only current updated dogs are all running in races for people.
    Is the site just not getting updated properly?

Quote Originally Posted by trapperken2000 View Post
    I just went and looked close at the Second Chance dogs.
    There are only 12 dogs and most have not been updated since 2005 and 2006. Are these dogs even in the program now? The only current updated dogs are all running in races for people.
    Is the site just not getting updated properly?

Hmmm don't know what that one is. Here is the email list where the updates are posted regularly. You have to sign up for it but it is pretty low volume.
    http://groups.google.com/group/SCL-listserv?lnk=srg

Oh here, I found them online. They use Petfinder. http://www.petfinder.com/search/sear...location=99701

Click on a dog and you will find the Second Chance League notes on each one.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast