Thread: Successful First Moose Hunt

Default Successful First Moose Hunt

Just thought I would share a couple of photos from my first moose hunt. I'll post the story behind the pictures.. if anyone is interested. I've been back home for almost a week now and I'm still on my mountain "high". I did break the bad news to my wife when I called home from Anchorage, that I'll be coming back to hunt the big one that got away. I saw a real monster several days after I filled my tag. I figured it would be better to let her warm up to the idea while I'm still 1000+ miles from home.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congratulations on the bull, looks to be a good one. Looks bigger in the first picture when compared to you standing next to it. and yes, we would like to hear the story.

Thumbs up I can't wait to see the one that got away!!

Nice lookin critter ya killed there!

Frankie, I noticed you're from SE Michigan...where abouts? I am from NE MI, grew up in Rogers City. You may have been up that way if you have ever done any serious salmon fishing...although the last few years haven't been worth a darn!

Congrats on the Moose.
    Joshua

Very nice bull, looks to be in the mid to high 50 inch class. Can't wait to hear the story! Congrats!!

Nice Bull!!!
    I'm waiting for the story too.
    Had a friend that came up from Sparta & bow hunted with me this year. Took his first moose too, a nice spike.

BucknRut,
    I'm in Sterling Heights, just north of Detroit. Spend most of my free time in the fall up your way either bow hunting or chasing salmon and steelhead. I'm leaving this Friday for the PM to chase a few kings in the flies only zone.

Default Here's the skinny!!!

OK, For those that know me, I tend to be a bit..... long winded, so I'll try to give you the condensed version of the story.

It was 9/11, my son's birthday. After a quick phone call on the sat phone to him to wish him a happy birthday, we relocated to a new spike camp. After climbing tot he top of the mountain behind camp, we spotted several bulls in the next canyon. We returned to camp, saddled up the horses and set oout around the mountain to get the wind right. We climbed to the top of the next ridge and did a bit of cow calling resulting in only a few cows. We moved and called from several location but the bulls weren't responding. A rain storm moved in, blowing sideways and we thought it best to move. Upon returnig to the horses we spotted this bull from across the canyon on the opposite side of the river and thought he deserved a closer look. Closing the distance we decided he was worth persuing. The bull had several cows with him, but decided to get up and started sidehilling down the canyon. We followed on horseback, but this guy was on the move and the horses were barley keeping up with him. At this rate we would never be able to get in front of him, cross the river and get above him for a shot. All of a sudden he decided to stop. We dismounted and were discussing shot options. we decided that this was probably going to be opur best opportunity. We made our way to edge of the canyon, tossed down both of our packs and I settled in for a shot from a sitting position. The range was 350 yds directly across the canyon. All of a sudden the clouds and rain stopped and the sun came out. When he stepped into the clear, my guide cow called. The bull stopped and looked our way. John, my guide gave me the go ahead to shoot, but I wanted the bullto turn his head and get his left palm out of the way. When the bull turned his head, I sent a 180 grain triple shock from my 300 UltraMag his way, right behind his shoulder. The bull hunched up and started to leave. The second shot missed its mark. I took my time on the third shot. The bull was standing still in the wide open. I touched a round off an dlifted my head to see the shock waves travelling through the air as it hit the bull. When the third shot hit home, the bull was up ended and all we saw were feet. As quickly as the sun came out, it all of a sudden disappeared. It was like someone had turned out the lights on the center stage. I thought it was just me, but even my guide thought that was a bit "spooky". Like I was getting a little help from the Guy up stairs. It took us almost an hour to get to the other side of the canyon to the bull.

I don't know who labelled moose as "swap donkeys". I saw at least a dozen bulls on the trip, and all but 2 were near or above the timber line. Felt more like a sheep hunt for beginners than a moose hunt.

The final day of the trip, I was chasing a huge mountain black bear when I saw a real monster of a bull walk out into a clearing about 100 yds from where we parked the ATV that morning. We guessed him at 70+". I'll be heading back in the near future in an attempt to put a tag on that bad boy. Hopefully this time I can do it up close and personal with my bow. I can't think of a better birthday present for my 3 yr old son than this bull. My 1 year old will have to wait for "his" bull on my return trip.

Sorry for length of the post. But this was the condensed version. I told you I can get long winded... especially when it comes to a good hunting story.

F2T

Great story, & not long at all!
    thanks for sharing.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Thanks

Thanks. I planned this trip for a long time. Thought it would be a once in a lifetime deal. Now I'm hooked. Looks like I need a second job to keep up with the new addiction... and the brides with the Mrs to keep her happy.

F2T

Default Frankie

Nice moose was this your first trip to AK ? great job also from mich here just a little south of you. But your season was better than mine. Seems like a lot of guys from mich on this thread

Yep, first trip to AK. But definitely won't be my last. I broke the bad news to my wife while I was still in Anchorage that I HAVE to come back. Seems the big one got away. Beofe it was an obsession, now its personal. Figure she'll have at least 2-3 days to get use to the idea before I get home. When I get home, she'll be so happy to see me that she won't care. Besides, I think mentioned something about buying here a fur coat the next time I'm in Anchorage. Oops

Briding ones wife it not a crime.... its the means justifying the ends!!!!

F2T

Smile awesome!

congrats on that bull. great story.

i just got back on saturday 10/7. i think it is in my blood now. i drove and i have no problem driving back again. as a matter of fact i am sure i will drive again. i met so many nice people there and made a few good friends i hated to leave. all this means when i go back i will have to plan to stay longer. no wife to bribe. lol...