Thread: Aniak River Float

Default Aniak River Float

My family and I are looking into floating the Aniak in late July. Anyone floated the branch of the river from Aniak Lake in the last two years? If so, please PM me, I would like to chat on the phone about your experience (log jams, cost, duration, ect)

Thanks,

Mark

Default Duke Bro DVD?

The Duke brothers put out a DVD on the Aniak river a few years back. Does anyone in the anchorage area have it that could let me borrow it for a few days to do a little research?? I would be very greatful.

Thumbs up Aniak River Resources

Quote Originally Posted by AK flyster View Post
    The Duke brothers put out a DVD on the Aniak river a few years back. Does anyone in the anchorage area have it that could let me borrow it for a few days to do a little research?? I would be very greatful.
    Flyster,

The DVD is available on this website AT THIS LINK, for $24.95. I just checked and it is in stock.

If you have not done so already, you might check out Gunnar Pedersen and Rene Limere's "Alaska Fishing", which contains info on the Aniak. Other resources that reference the Aniak are "Fly Fishing Secrets of Alaska's Best Guides", the "Flyfisher's Guide to Alaska" (fairly good Aniak info in there- more than most), and my own book, "Float Hunting Alaska's Wild Rivers", which contains a detailed writeup of the Aniak River. Granted, it is a hunting book, but there is much info there that is of interest to all floaters. I have copies of the float hunting book in stock here in Anchorage, so there is no need to have to pay shipping if you can stop by. Finally, there is a beautiful book by Troy Letherman and Tony Weaver, called "Top Water". It has some Aniak info in it and the photos are stunning.

That said, I have floated the Aniak, from Aniak Lake down to the forks, and would be happy to share what I know about it. But it was not within the last two years, as you requested. I doubt it's changed a lot during that time, though.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 02-02-2009 at 00:06.
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay