Thread: Rifle(s) recommendation for Hawaii hunt

Default Rifle(s) recommendation for Hawaii hunt

Any of you guys ever hunt Hawaii pigs and goats?
    I may get a chance to hunt Maui and Big I what would you guys recommend for a good pig and goat rifle or rifles, considering the terrain.
    I will be DYI public land hunts without dogs. State regulations require 1,200 lbs muzzle energy minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by mwalker View Post
    Any of you guys ever hunt Hawaii pigs and goats?
    I may get a chance to hunt Maui and Big I what would you guys recommend for a good pig and goat rifle or rifles, considering the terrain.
    I will be DYI public land hunts without dogs. State regulations require 1,200 lbs muzzle energy minimum.
    I haven't hunted there, but have met residents who do so regularly. Standard rifle seems to be a 30-06. Some are scoped, but many aren't in regions with lots of brush. Popular scopes are low powered. The only three scoped rifles I've actually handled all wore Leupold 1.5 x5 scopes. I have no recollection on what loads were being used, but I do recall that none of the guys I talked to were handloaders. All the rifles were well-used, but well cared for. The guys I talked to hunt a lot, especially for pig.

That's a small sample, but if your choice reflects those capabilities, you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I haven't hunted there, but have met residents who do so regularly. Standard rifle seems to be a 30-06. Some are scoped, but many aren't in regions with lots of brush. Popular scopes are low powered. The only three scoped rifles I've actually handled all wore Leupold 1.5 x5 scopes. I have no recollection on what loads were being used, but I do recall that none of the guys I talked to were handloaders. All the rifles were well-used, but well cared for. The guys I talked to hunt a lot, especially for pig.

That's a small sample, but if your choice reflects those capabilities, you should be fine.
    Thanks BrownBear that scope info is real helpful, I have a Tikka T3 lite in 7mm-08 which I think is fine I'll need to rescope it have a 4-9x40 on it now.

I hunted the Big island, pigs were out in the open at the end of the day. 270 worked fine. The 270 would have worked fine for the goats I saw.
    243/6mm class on up would work fine, I think.
    The locals I knew that hunted pigs on oahu used dogs and knives.

Red face .223 rem.

Many use .223 REM. It squeaks in there for that minimum muzzle energy --- tho' not sure you'll need 100 yard plus shots on Pigs.

I'd go .243WIN to about 6.5x55 as the perfect picks so .308WIN, 7mm-08, 260... and that ballpark would be great.

Some of the Pigs I came across On the Big Island looked like oil drums with legs and had rototillers for teeth. Would have enjoyed a Super Readhawk wheelgun or Marlin guide gun in hand if I were being more serious about success instead of my 10' stick!

Locals thought it was the right way for an ol' javelin chucker to use a spear on everything game or fish and certainly got a chuckle out of my fly casting with beads and flys.

It really depends where you go... open ground, mountainsides, canyon, beach, recent lava flows or rainforest and forestland as well as what form of transportation... by air, water, jeep, horseback, on foot and so on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I was going to suggest a .243 but, since you have a 7mm-08 it makes me think you may be looking for a reason to buy a new rifle .

It took awhile to make my wife understand, that a reason for a new rifle is'nt a consideration when I want one.

yep the wildlife biologist on Maui told me I had to buy another rifle, he recommended a close up brush gun .44 mag or 30/30 silmilar I already have a distance rifle. BTW the biologist was a great guy darned near helped me plan the entire trip telling me the best places, easiest access etc. Man they sure are tight on regulations over there, register all firearms with local PD within 72 hours of arrival, NO guns at all in any public campgrounds, not even locked in the trunk of your car, NO camping in any public lands open to hunting, local PD told me when transporting a firearm from place of stay to field I can make NO stops must be direct route. They have some big tracts of so called "public land" that has NO access because it is landlocked. You must check in, in the morning and check out in evening with field officer. So the folks that own land backed up to those areas have their own private little hunting areas.

Quote Originally Posted by mwalker View Post
    yep the wildlife biologist on Maui told me I had to buy another rifle, he recommended a close up brush gun .44 mag or 30/30 silmilar I already have a distance rifle. BTW the biologist was a great guy darned near helped me plan the entire trip telling me the best places, easiest access etc. Man they sure are tight on regulations over there, register all firearms with local PD within 72 hours of arrival, NO guns at all in any public campgrounds, not even locked in the trunk of your car, NO camping in any public lands open to hunting, local PD told me when transporting a firearm from place of stay to field I can make NO stops must be direct route. They have some big tracts of so called "public land" that has NO access because it is landlocked. You must check in, in the morning and check out in evening with field officer. So the folks that own land backed up to those areas have their own private little hunting areas.
    mwalker,
    I'm currently stuck on the Big Island. I'm just getting started hunting here, due mostly to the above reasons. This place seems like a diferent country some times. I hunt near Hilo, Mauna Kea and PTA mostly. On top it is spot and stalk on the side of a volcano (5,000 to 12,000ft above sea level). So your shots can get rather long. Most of the guys i met use popular chamberings 270, 30-06, 308, 243, 223, 7mm, 30-30 due to the ammo cost here. I haven't hunted in the jungle yet but 30-30, 44mags, 7.62x39, seem popular. The jungle can be almost to thick to enter in places. Thats why dogs are so popular.
    Bring good boots for ankle twisting and leather shreading lava or slippery rain forest mud and rocks.

I'd like to talk to your biologist friend.

PM me or look me up if you have any questions, i be glad to help.
    Good luck,

Default more than pigs and goats

First of all, get the game regulations on line. You will need to get your out of state hunting license. The state is strict on firearm violations. When on Maui, look into the axis deer hunting (along with pig and goat). Good deer population the last couple of years. Access into some areas for deer may be difficult (private), but check it out. When on the Big island, depending on the ongoing bird season, sheep hunting on Mauna kea is an option (public). Do your homework though. Also good goat and pig hunting on the island. Your 7mm-08 will work great, though not the best in the rain forest. Stick to more open shooting lanes, or just outside the thick stuff and you'll get all of them. Handgun hunting has a whole bunch of other rules and regs. Private lands is the easiest (game and rules). Good luck and enjoy the islands...