Thread: Cold weather Bow prep???

Lightbulb Cold weather Bow prep???

Hey there guys,

I'm new to the Forum, but have been lurking as a 'Non-member' for a couple weeks ....I was wondering if there are any precautions, or steps needed to use my Hoyt ZR 200 Compound in -20* temps. and lower. I'm really going to step it up in the realm of cold weather hunting (Rabbit, Gouse..etc..). I have all the necessary cold weather clothing of course...however, pretty clueless as to how to prep. my bow..if any prep is needed that is. Thanks to all for any help or suggestions.

Default Ugly surprise wouldn't it?

Snap.

Interesting question.

Yes Sir,
    That is EXACTLY what I fear/am trying to avoid. I mean, granted, may not be the best idea to begin with, working a bow at that temp. But I just get the itch so darn bad sometimes during the cold spells, that I just HAVE to get out there with it!!

Default Experience

Best to try practicing outside at the same range as you expect to shoot at. You just might find that you could be a little low. The bow should handle the weather as they are tested for below that and well above 100 degrees. I have hunted to -20 around Fairbanks for moose. If it is a compound remember to watch the cams for ice build-up. Anything under the grooves in the cam may have interesting results if you draw the bow. I would opt for a recurve or a long bow myself for bunnies.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

You bring up a good point about the ice build up...thank you. I do indeed hope to accend to the Recurve Realm soon enough..However, I'm new to this great sport as I have only had my bow for 7 months now. I'm just now confident enough with my shooting to ethically harvest an animal. Maybe thats why I constantly have the itch...I'm new ..Thanks again for the info, I feel more confident now knowing that my bow "Shouldn't" snap in two and spit me from stem-to-stern. WHOO-HOOO!!

a friend on snowy haul road hunt took a practice shot at a tussuc on way to truck after blown stalk on a caribou he had snow / ice in the grooves and the bow unstrung itself. I was not with him when it happened but sounded pretty exciting. of 4 of use no one had a portable bow stringer took all 4 of use to muscle the string back where it belonged. so keep track of that.
    practice shooting in your heavy clothes and figure out if youneed to change anything.
    beware of face masks with fabric between eyes. i have had that shift and block my vision at full draw on a moose at fort rich had to let down and take mask off.....still got the moose thou
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Thumbs up Like Daveinthebush said...

"If it is a compound remember to watch the cams for ice build-up."

I'm reading Tony Russ: Sheep Stalking in Alaska - talking about his first bowhunt: "My bow had iced up overnight and with my limited experience with compound bows, it took me two hours to figure out why the cables kept coming off the cams. There was clear ice in the grooves and I couldn't see it in the faint light..."

Excellent winter reading BTW - Know your quarry (and what happens if you don't - or don't listen to someone who does!) Quite a few - and many lessons.

Thank you very much for the good advice 6XLeech. When I hear of ice in the cams...I think of ice I could clearly see, not a fine thin layer of pain and sorrow I also think I will look into maybe reading that book. Thanks again.

Default Experience teaches...

Daveinthebush and Tony Russ, in this case.

Hey, we're all learning at the feet of these masters.
    I'm strictly a rookie trying to pay attention- new hunter, new bow - late start. Plenty to learn from here though. I believe Daveinthebush used to teach archery? Has done much bowhunting. We're lucky he's a regular contributor here. Best of luck this year.