Thread: Aspen Flats Cabin???

Default Aspen Flats Cabin???

Has any one used this cabin. Or at least seen it? I was thinking of using it as a base camp this spring but have never been there. Any advise would help. Any other cabins around the Russian lakes or Copper lake that some one might know about would also help. Thanks

Default Aspen Flats Cabin

I think my earlier post led to your questions about hunting from Aspen Flats Cabin. Probably can find my post from summer 2007 with a little searching however in the first week of June we try to do a family biking trip, Last year we went in from Hope was a nice pedal, year prior we went to Aspen Flats Cabin. It is an easy pedal on a bike without a pack, and not to bad with a pack, and even a decent pedal with at the time a 11 year old and a 8 year old. On the way in we saw a brown with a cub about 1/2 mile in from Barber Lake Cabin which is on the Lower Russian River Lake. On the way out we crossed a black in the trail, there was a group of 5-6 bikers heading in and we were heading out, came around a corner and the black bear (a nice black bear with good hide) was in the trail between us (about 20 yards from our group and the other group). After a minute of two of verbal coaxing I shot in front and to the side of him which chased him off the trail but only about 20 yards off the trail. Would have been a good bear to take but with a pistol and a leatherman and a black on the tag that year things did not work out. Aspen is a nice little cabin and easy to get to (4-5 hours with the kids on bikes). If you bike in be careful on the way out as you can really get moving and could find yourself launched from the trail (that is another story).

As mentioned in another post others had hunted it that year to include a entry in the cabin log of a group of bow hunters that stayed a few days at the cabin but only posted their first day entry so not sure how they did. Terrain is in the valley bottom but there would be plenty of area to hike to around the cabin that could be promising to find a blackie.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Aspen Flat Cabin Photos

A few pics of the cabin, it is right on the river, boil your water and be prepared to look for some wood but the saws and splitting mauls there were in good shape.

Default More Pics of the Aspen Cabin Trips

A few more pics: