Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Theres gold in them thar hills

Cool Theres gold in them thar hills

Well this will be the next big debate. article in the news miner about the big find at Livingood, your thoughts on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Well this will be the next big debate. article in the news miner about the big find at Livingood, your thoughts on it.
    There is more Gold all over Alaska then people realize. Mining is and will never go away, especially due to the compounds to make aluminum stronger, which is always associated with Gold.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Lots of trade offs with mining. People need jobs, but I hate to see the country opened up.

I agree, and that said, which one of the mines, this one or Pebble should be opened up. Theres impact's on both of them.

I agree, and that said, which one of the mines, this one or Pebble should be opened up. Theres impact's on both of them.
    Pebble, as it has hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in research.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

I have to ask " up " who's money do you think went into that?

I have to ask " up " who's money do you think went into that?

Depends. Canada's money did a large part of it... paying American Geologists, Mineralologists, and Geological Engineers. Also Biologists, Hydrologists and others I can name if so.

Canada also paid for the survey permits, the insurance and the permits to drill shot holes. As well as the enviormental aspect of the permits and the testing in the areas.

But this is a joint venture... and we do get a percentage. Since the State (Alaskans) own the mineral rights... it isn't all going away, but i with they would up the percentage of what we get compared to what we make off of it now.

Rock... who do you think is lying? Or telling the truth?

The people who would like the mine, who have been using the people in the surrounding villages to help with the research on it?

Or the environmentalists, who have never been there because they do not want to pay for the permits and the helicopter trip to go out and look and go off bad data?

Actually I believe the regional corp. has rights to the surface mineral rights that would apply in this case. i believe the state has a secondary interest. part of the settlement act that gave surface mineral rights to regional corps. thats according to jay hammond in his book, but i have never looked up the law. anyone know the actual law on this one?

Lexis Nexis:

Look for Mineral Rights, Mining and laws for Alaska. Then look at the native rights concerning it. Just because the Regional Corp has some mineral rights to a certain depth... doesn't mean anything. It is only to a certain depth... as it also works with Oil and Gas rights. Regional Corps can lease out the surface rights...

Quote Originally Posted by supplydemand View Post
    Actually I believe the regional corp. has rights to the surface mineral rights that would apply in this case. i believe the state has a secondary interest. part of the settlement act that gave surface mineral rights to regional corps. thats according to jay hammond in his book, but i have never looked up the law. anyone know the actual law on this one?

How about "C". All of the above.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

"up" I hav'nt for got about ya, just trying to get some info. The reason I asked the question was for everybodys thoughts, Personaly I think everybody is lying to each other, as far as the impact on both sites, I'd have to say that the pebble mine would have a bigger impact if something went wrong, because of the fishing industry. You see I've been thru this before and I have seen what it dose to the land. Not saying anything yet, just looking at info.

Rock no worries. Let me know if you need some help. Maybe I can guide you in the direction for information you need.

"up" I hav'nt for got about ya, just trying to get some info. The reason I asked the question was for everybodys thoughts, Personaly I think everybody is lying to each other, as far as the impact on both sites, I'd have to say that the pebble mine would have a bigger impact if something went wrong, because of the fishing industry. You see I've been thru this before and I have seen what it dose to the land. Not saying anything yet, just looking at info.

Exclamation

I am new at this and was just scanning the site and came upon this discussion. When the Pebble debate started, I was trying to separate Chaff from wheat when the mine "for" folks started bragging about the largest earthen dam which will NEVER fail. Sorry, but there is no such thing as never fail. So watch out for these folks.

I have sat back and read your post a couple of times smiling.

No dam has ever lasted, neither has a natural dam, nor a mountian holding a large lake.. due to erosion, earthquake, over abundance of water via rain or run off. Gotta love real world circumstances included.

Nothing is "forever"..... anyone can figure that out if they ever think beyond themselves. But, if we go with that idea, we wouldn't be doing anything but sitting on our hands and swinging out feet. Innovation is the key to the beginning and moving forward.

I know this may seem blunt. But we are just a blip in time.... and a hole in the ground isn't going to be the thing that kills us. Trust me..

Quote Originally Posted by Down Bubble View Post
    I am new at this and was just scanning the site and came upon this discussion. When the Pebble debate started, I was trying to separate Chaff from wheat when the mine "for" folks started bragging about the largest earthen dam which will NEVER fail. Sorry, but there is no such thing as never fail. So watch out for these folks.

Quote Originally Posted by upinak View Post
    I know this may seem blunt. But we are just a blip in time.... and a hole in the ground isn't going to be the thing that kills us. Trust me..
    Amen!!!!!!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default I hear ya

The hole ain't going to get us and someday we will all be gone, extinct, kapooey, BUT, I sure would like humans to be able to enjoy reasonable living conditions until that happens. I am not against the concept of the mine, but everytime some spin doctor manager in an engineering firm twists the engineers results, something bad can, and probably will happen. I betcha that there is a way to get that waste pretty clean/inert but the method is not viable due to a cut in profits. Sort of like nuclear power plants which operate cleaner than any type of fossil fuel plant and I am all for them - BUT - I really wish they would figure out a way to safely dispose the spent fuel. Also, I don't think the big dam is innovative. It is just a bigger version of the current convention - evolutionary, not revolutionary.

I have sat back and read your post a couple of times smiling.

No dam has ever lasted, neither has a natural dam, nor a mountian holding a large lake.. due to erosion, earthquake, over abundance of water via rain or run off. Gotta love real world circumstances included.

Nothing is "forever"..... anyone can figure that out if they ever think beyond themselves. But, if we go with that idea, we wouldn't be doing anything but sitting on our hands and swinging out feet. Innovation is the key to the beginning and moving forward.

Sigh... I gave you some good info for gold, and yet you tell me that I am just some stupid schmuck that doesn't know about nuclear. They do have a few safe way of doing it, but I amnot going to talk about it on here this is not where to talk about it. But without making this a political BS thread... the democrats won't open up nuclear, nor ANWR nor other BLM sites for natural gas.

Can do much except watch other countries do what we wish we could.

Quote Originally Posted by Down Bubble View Post
    The hole ain't going to get us and someday we will all be gone, extinct, kapooey, BUT, I sure would like humans to be able to enjoy reasonable living conditions until that happens. I am not against the concept of the mine, but everytime some spin doctor manager in an engineering firm twists the engineers results, something bad can, and probably will happen. I betcha that there is a way to get that waste pretty clean/inert but the method is not viable due to a cut in profits. Sort of like nuclear power plants which operate cleaner than any type of fossil fuel plant and I am all for them - BUT - I really wish they would figure out a way to safely dispose the spent fuel. Also, I don't think the big dam is innovative. It is just a bigger version of the current convention - evolutionary, not revolutionary.

Can't do much except watch other countries do what we wish we could. Amen

There are some against mining some against oil some against fishing some against logging some against everything.

Alaska needs to use all its resources in a way it doesn't harm others if the resources are not developed and the oil starts playing out what are we going to do depend on the feds. I hope this never happens as they control too much already.

Default Oops

Sorry, no belittlement intended. This whole exchange between us started with my observation about the pro pebble folks stating that the dam would never fail and to watch out for them. I am not against nor for as I am still awaiting solid info rather than the preliminary PR propaganda from both sides. What I was trying to state was that the veracity of the "no fail" statements are obviously suspect. Change of subject - I wasn't aware that they had finally found a way to safely dispose of spent fuel as I have been away from contact with the nuc folks for about 20 years. At least this means there won't be another Hanaford. OK - no more about NUCS.

Sigh... I gave you some good info for gold, and yet you tell me that I am just some stupid schmuck that doesn't know about nuclear. They do have a few safe way of doing it, but I amnot going to talk about it on here this is not where to talk about it. But without making this a political BS thread... the democrats won't open up nuclear, nor ANWR nor other BLM sites for natural gas.

Can do much except watch other countries do what we wish we could.

Interesting little exchange. Instead of each side bashing each other why don't they work together to find a solution? The Pebble project would produce hundreds of jobs in an area that already has large amounts of unemployment even with it's fisheries.

I would think with the collective knowledge on both sides of the project it would be much more efficient to work together. If not our country as a whole will continue to slide. A nation built solely on consumerism will soon consume itself as we are already witnessing.

Without responsible resource development we will soon have nothing to contribute. All the towel wringing will produce ZILCH. The fishermen won't have to worry about it cause no one will be able to afford the fish they catch. Chickens are much more economical to raise. Same with the gold miners. No fishermen to buy the expensive jewelry that is made from the miners gold.

Both sides in this battle need to work towards peace and productivity or they'll just kill each other off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast