Thread: Question for the Masses

Default Question for the Masses

Hello, new to the forum and glad to find it. I am just recently moved back to the great state and have a total of 30+ years here. I used to live in SE and am an avid fan of the 30-06. I have had several in the REM 700, WIN 70 and even an 1895. I sold them to move and go to school and I am now in Prince William sound and need to get back into the hunt. I am looking at several different options; 338WM, 30-06(either a 700 or 1895), 375 Hawk and a friend is wanting to sell me a 375/338(375 Taylor) built on a 03 springfield action and chromolly barrel for $500. I am trying to figure which would be best, I am leaning away from the 338WM as I am not fond of recoil. I also will be getting the S&W MNT gun in 45LC for packin.

HMMM...Since your an oldtime Alaskan, you should have them all! HA! At least that's what I try to tell my wife. :-)

If you are an avid fan of the 30.06, why not go back to that? Its extremely versital, ammo is available everywhere, and it'll take anything you want to hunt, provided the right bullet is selected.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

If you are a lever gun fan go with the 30-06 in the 1895 or the 375 Hawk in the 1895.

The 375/338 Chatfield-Taylor will just about get the same velocities as the 375 H&H but in a smaller package. I would be leary of the 1903 Springfield though as there are reports of those under serial # 700,000 and something not being of the proper heat treatment.

30-06 you can get in any major brand name bolt gun, just a matter of preference as to which bolt guns you like.

Default 1903 Springfields

Springfield Armory manufactured 03's over serial number 800,000 received the 'double heat treat' process that was instituted to get rid of the problem of the single heat treat 03's that had previously been manufactured. Rock Island Arsenal manufactured 03's after serial number 185,000 were made with nickel steel and the improved heat treatment process, and Springfield Armory followed suit, changing their steel to the nickel steel after the stocks they had on hand were used up.
    The whole problem was in the process and facility used to heat treat the forgings. They used no instruments to gauge what the actual temp of the metal was, there was also no light in the shop, and as the old timers who'd been doing that process since before the Krag was manufactured had been gauging the temperature by 'eye', on a bright day, the temperature was different than it was on an overcast day. Towards 1917, when they put a bunch of new people on to boost production, the 'new guys' didn't have the same experience, and some of the forgings' metal was actually burned, instead of case hardened. Out in the field, if a GI picked up, oh, say an 8X57 round and put it in the chamber, or pierced a primer on an '06 round manufactured by a new manufacturer, or if the guy put grease on his cartridges, those weakened forging would come apart. Some catastrophically.
    In 1917, Army Ordnance decided to change the process and material, put in lighting, pyrometers, better quality control, and issued an edict that when the low numbered guns came in, their receivers were to be swapped out for the 'improved' product. The Marines, not having the budget, nor inclination for such foolishness, hung onto their low numbered receiver rifles through and beyond the Guadalcanal operations...and it's doubtful that those inferior forging hurt, maimed, or killed more than the Japanese did.....
    I have and use a few low numbered 03's. There is also always just a bit of a doubt about them when I've got my face snuggled up against one, too.
    As to the high numbered guns, unless they're damaged or dangerously modified, they're every bit as strong as a pre-64 M70. Especially those made by Remington, and the A3's made by Remington and Smith Corona. Those War II production rifles came out of the same ordnance steel as the M1's did. Good pieces, those.

If you don't care for recoil, then by all means don't look past the 30-06.

How about the new 338 Federal? Recoil is suppose to be similar to an 06.

http://www.federalcartridge.com/defa...nd=5&year=2005