Thread: Haul Rd in April

Default Haul Rd in April

Anyone had much luck hunting the Haul Rd in April? I have a child due the normal time of year I go so I will not be able to make it up that time of year this year(my last year up there). However, I should have the last 2 weeks in April off though and would love to make it up there one more time before I have to leave.

You will find the caribou on this side of Anigun pass then. You won't have to drive as far as most people do when we go up in Aug/Sept
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

did it once, mid april.
    3 of us , had a great trip got one caribou, 9 ptarmigan and south of the pass 9 rabbits........oops i mean hares (they are not rabbits). there were so many hares we could have filled the bed of the pick up. they were at there peak that year. should be back up by now????
    i enjoy shooting small game and we had plenty of action there and
    saw more ptarmigan than most folks would believe, my estimate of the big flock was 5000 birds......two other guys sais i was crazy...
    they figured 8-10 K. bad part was they would never let us get closer than 80 yards. we tried 4 different days.
    had blizzard first night in Deadhorse. instead of tent camping we just slept in the cab of the crew cab truck with engine running. burned 6 gallons while sleeping.
    saw a few bou in the mountains but most were out in the flats.
    tough hunt with the cold, plenty of daylight all and all worth it.
    we were hoping to see a bear but did not (supposedly that is about when then come out.....not sure why still snow covered for 2 more months....ground squirrels were out.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default 2 times in April

I have been up there twice in April towards the end of the month, and it isnt bad hunting at all seen caribou north and south of the pass all near the road since the snow melts faster closer to the road.
    didnt see any bear, i guess it all depends on is the weather conditions. good luck if you make the trip, watch out for black ice that time of year also

That time of year are you still wearing your all white camo or standard stuff?

Ive never been up there that time of the year. Saw a youtube video of a guy shooting a cow up there I think on the last day of the hunt. Looked like mostly dead grass, not alot of snow. Im sure it wouldnt be a bad hunt.