Thread: Fishing Reds?

Default Fishing Reds?

I am planning a late June, early to mid July visit to Anchorage to visit my kids and grandkids. I've never had the chance to visit this area, much less fish it. I'm trying to figure out my options to fish Red and/or silver salmon. I'm open to the area around Anchorage, Mat-Su, and Kenai peninsula, or anywhere doable as a daytrip from their house.

While I'm open to consider guided trips, my preference is to find some places accessible to the public to wade or bank fish.

At that general time of year, what baits are recommended? I use spinning tackle. Thanks in advance!

1st run reds on the Kenai/Russian River will be in high gear then.
    Use Russian River flies. The area on the Russian upriver of the confluence with the Kenai should have tons of fish, but there will be lots of people too. If you go sit and watch what goes on and learn the ropes before starting. There is a rythum to the conga line that is present there.
    As people get their limit and move on a spot will open up for you. Talk to those who are taking a break as most are willing to help out a newby.
    Follow the rules, keep your stuff close and watch out for bears.
    And most of all have fun. Remember this is more like a tailgate party or carnival than a quiet get away.

Default Agreed

I agree with Drifter. Late June to mid July is prime time for sockeye on the Russian, the second run of sockeye usually shows up somewhere around the 15th of July in the lower river.

Coho will not be present for the most part. Last year one was caught in June in a Mat-Su river but that is a very rare thing. It is possible in July to take a charter out of Seward to find coho and that may be worth your money and time.

You don't need a guide to fish for sockeye. People are generally pretty darn socialable in the crowded holes... don't be shy about letting them know that you are new to the technique and they will gladly (for the most part) point you in the right direction.

You can also visit the various tackle shops for suggestions. Trustworthy Hardware and Fishing in Soldotna is the greatest! They have what you need, for the lowest price in the state, if not nation, and have folks that are very much in tune with what is going on.

Take some time and search these forums and you will be overrun with information related to sockeye fishing during that time. Also, look at the book store on this site and you will find quite a few that are worth your money. The Highway Angler by Gunnar Pedersen is a must have for folks that are new to the area or visiting. There are many others that are good as well.

Good luck on your plans and don't feel shy about asking questions.

Cheers

go silver fishing in seward in july
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Russian River

The Russian River and just below the mouth is tops for reds.

Unless they are in thick it is tougher than it looks - I spent a year or so looking, learning, taking, begging for information, and watching before I started catching a lot of fish.

I highly recomend getting an medium priced 2 piece 7/8 wt. fly rod and a reel with a really GOOD heavy drag - the Okuma Integrity work fine and are inexpensive.

Rig up with a 40 lb. monfilament main line, a cheap barrel swivel that will pass through the eyes of the rod, and about 6 ft. of 30 lb. mono for a leader. Tie the fly on with a stren knot. Put enough #2 or #3 split shot about 3 ft. or so above the fly so you just occasional feel it hit bottom and then flip it and let it drift downstream. Watch what the others that are catching fish are doing - the majority of people that are fishing are clueless.

Hip waders are fine unless the water is really high - I seldom wear cheat waders anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by gramps View Post
    I am planning a late June, early to mid July visit to Anchorage to visit my kids and grandkids. I've never had the chance to visit this area, much less fish it. I'm trying to figure out my options to fish Red and/or silver salmon. I'm open to the area around Anchorage, Mat-Su, and Kenai peninsula, or anywhere doable as a daytrip from their house.

While I'm open to consider guided trips, my preference is to find some places accessible to the public to wade or bank fish.

At that general time of year, what baits are recommended? I use spinning tackle. Thanks in advance!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Mid July is a bit early for shore fishing for silvers, but you should be able to get reds on the Kenai and maybe some pinks at hope.

Don't forget the polarized sunglasses. If you're fishing the Russian proper you can see the reds pretty well with them. Also you'll need them for eye protection ... you'll be dodging lead all day esp. if you're at the Sanctuary.

If you are based out of anchorage, there are some other options. Bird creek should have some early fish showing up by july. Ship Creek & the Eklutna Tailrace will both have accessable king fishing at that point. Stay out of the mus in ship creek though it can be nasty. Also there are lots of lakes with good fishing. The ones in town will be stocked around then, so expect lots of fish but not much size. Or if you hit lakes outside of town you could be completely alone and find a few big ones. As you go north there is the Little Su, in July it gets a fishable number of reds, but you need a boat. Most other rivers north of there, on the roads, people will be concentrating on kings. If you drive to Talketna, Mahays will cary you to Clear creek ($55 last year), fishing for reds, kings, rainbows, and greyling can be good. Talketna might be more of a weekend trip than a day trip.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/