Thread: best alaska rifle/optic combo?

Default best alaska rifle/optic combo?

what do you consider to be the most reliable, tougest rifle out there? company and model please. what about optics? this will be going on a 30-06

i use a browning x bolt 325wsm with a zeiss 3-9x50, i also use a ruger #1 in 405 win with a nikon buckmaster 3-9x40

...my head..going to...explode.....

Archives please....prob more info there than you want to know!

Model 70 action with a Schmidt Bender Scope

Toughest most reliable rifle? The one you take care of... Toughest most reliable scope? Nightforce...

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/TECH...echnology.html

How many other scopes perform with bullet holes in them?
    http://www.nightforceoptics.com/MILI...tary___le.html

Quote Originally Posted by Daveintheburbs View Post
    ...my head..going to...explode.....
    + 10000

Dude there is a search button up above, theres over a million of these threads in there.

Most rifles made by major manufactures will function well in tough conditions. There are alot of personal preferences out there though. I am assumeing you are asking about bolt guns, not that there are not many other excellent options.

The first is (CRF) Controlled Round Feed vs. (PF) Push Feed both work and work well. However, most will say that CRF is better for stonecold reliability, while PF offers a slight increase in accurace potential, and ingeneral a better handleing of casehead separations. Rifles with CRF include: Mauser 98 both Military and Commercial, Remington model 30, 03 Springfields, pre 64 Winchester model 70, Winchester model 70 classic, Kimbers, Montana Rifle Co, and Ruger model 77 MKII. Rifles with PF include: Remington model 722, 725, 700, and all 600 varients, All Savage bolt guns, post 64 none classic Winchesters, and Ruger model 77 MKI.

For reliability most Folks also like a nice simple easy to see trigger setup. The best example of this is the Original Winchester model 70, and Montana Rifle Co., or original 03 Springfield or Mauser triggers. The disadvantage of Springfield and Mauser triggers is they are not easily adjusted and are 2 stage pull, which many folks don't like. Personally I have no problem with 2 stage triggers, however the lack of easy adjustment is still a problem.

All that said, most all rifles will function well under any conditions. What more often and needs more $ and attention is the sighting system. Of all practical perposes little has changed in bolt guns in the last 50 or 100 years, but sights have come a long way.

Scopes offer a lot of advantages but also bring problems. The number of times in southeast I was laughted at for bringing a peep sighted rifle on an hunting trip I can't remember. I got the last laugh when on a foggy morning my friend would raise his scoped rifle on a deer only to admit he could not see, while my peep site was fine, boom dead deer.

If I had to choose a site based purly on toughness it would be a peep sight. There is a reason the millitary has used them since before WWII and continues to use them today. They are less likely to get wacked and offer good accuracy.

In a scope you want to not be afread to spend some money. I would recomend Leupold VXII or VXIII and Bushnell 3200 or 4200 with Rainguard. I have been very impressed with Rainguard and I think my next scope will be a Bushnell because of that alone. I have no experiance with the Nikon, Schmidt Bender, Nightforce scopes others have mentioned as I have never held one. I have never looked through a Zeiss rifle scope but will I have worked with many Zeiss Survey insturments and the optical qualitly was second to none. However, Zeiss scopes tend to be high dollar and the foggy morning I spent with a Bushnell 3200 with Rainguard makes me think they maybe about the best overall.

As others have said this topic has been disscused to death and some searching on this board with the built in search feature or google will turn up many excellent results.

Smile Easy choice....

For the average Alaskan hunter, almost any gun/scope in .308 Winchester and above will work. Reason is very few of us actually have or will have a lot of experience at putting big critters on the ground. Unless you are a professional hunter of some sort the oppurtunity to observe a lot of shots is just not there. The 30-06 is better and the various .300 magnums and above better yet if you can shoot them. What did a riflemen reach for when he made a living with a gun and defended him self from harm, the most dependable rifle he could afford. That would be a Mauser or one of it's off springs. A controlled round feed Model 70 Winchester is a reliable rifle. The trigger on the old ones is robust and close to fool proof and the bolt field strips with out tools. Ther are still plenty of used ones to be found. If you can afford a Dakota rifle you need look no further. One of the most popular rifles in Alaska is something in a stainless version by some manufactuer with some kind of a synthetic stock chambered in the . 300 or .338 Winchester Magnum. I use Leupold scopes and believe the 2.5 x 8 x 36 mm VXIII is the best all around scope on the market. Your question is a valid one and will be asked forever as new hunters join our ranks. Start researching bullets in your spare time, they are very important. Good luck and be patient!

The toughest scope is lightest in weight with a small objective lens. Leupold compact 2.5x comes to mind. If you must have a variable, get the VX3 1.5x5.

If you get anything with an objective lens that's bigger than the scope tube diameter, you're not really concerned about a tough scope.

As for precision, based on some of the groups I've seen shot by guys with 2.5x and 4x scopes, I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of deliberate shots fired from 400 yards away.

Default Ok, I'll bite

For allaround reliability and accessability, I think a Remington model 700 in 30-06 with maybe a Leupold 4x or so scope should cover about anything you'd want to do, 'specially if you take the time to get proficient with it.