Thread: Ptarmigan invade Fairbanks

I find this quite funny since recently there has been alot of posts by people looking for ptarmigan in the fairbanks area

I'm over 1,000 miles away from FBKS and that was one of my main reasons for posting this. When I lived in Fairbanks it was easy to find ptarmigan fairly close to town.

I second catch....I read just yesturday a bunch of threads about how people can't find these little fellers'. I guess just look out your back door

Yea this is pretty funny, I was seeing them right in our parking lot at work now. I was asking if anybody has had any luck hunting them around fairbanks. You cant exactly shoot them in the middle of town..

Quote Originally Posted by TobinZeke View Post
    You cant exactly shoot them in the middle of town..
    Just use a suppressed .22LR pistol. I think you'll be happy with the results!

You cant exactly shoot them in the middle of town..

I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Ya, I was walking my Springer down behind the Carlson center along the river and he flushed about 20 of them. I have seen a few ruffies over the years and have seen two, yes two hen Pheasants one year. One of them was in my yard downtown. It's neat to seem Ptarmigan. Plus, I'm sure the owls and foxes are happy too!

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    Just use a suppressed .22LR pistol. I think you'll be happy with the results!
    hmmm, Problem is... it's ILLEGAL to discharge a firearm in the city limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    hmmm, Problem is... it's ILLEGAL to discharge a firearm in the city limits.
    That does present a problem. Perhaps a few discrete bird snares would do the trick.

I've taken numerous grouse with a pellet gun. Nice and quiet too.

6 at the Airport terminal yesterday
    Tim

Yea this is pretty funny, I was seeing them right in our parking lot at work now. I was asking if anybody has had any luck hunting them around fairbanks. You cant exactly shoot them in the middle of town..
    We live 10 miles north of town in the hills and have been seeing them now and then on our acreage. Plus, in an undisclosed place near an undisclosed river, I've been seeing them 100% of the time that I've been out there. They've been eating birch and aspen seeds, and pecking around low brush on the river. Can't see them until you spook them, so slow down when you see tracks and look for movement...

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    That does present a problem. Perhaps a few discrete bird snares would do the trick.
    And ...pellet and BB guns count as 'firearms' too. Sling shots don't though...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

LOL kind of funny i have not seen one since iread this thread....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Have only been out a couple times since xmas and have gotten at least one bird on each trip, but it seems like there were more birds around before the long cold snap in Dec/Jan. I'm still seeing plenty of birds in town (FBKS) and up on campus though. I've heard from some folks who are doing really really well a little farther out from town than I want to drive for a couple hours of hunting.

Chisana- +1 on the 10/22. Mine isn't quite as fancy as yours but it still is great fun to snipe birds or rabbits with it occasionally. Hope your weather stays nice out there so you can get out some more.

Quote Originally Posted by bairdi View Post

Chisana- +1 on the 10/22. Mine isn't quite as fancy as yours but it still is great fun to snipe birds or rabbits with it occasionally. Hope your weather stays nice out there so you can get out some more.
    Pretty much no snow at sea level now and it's patchy up higher so the birds are not concentrated and have plenty of freeze dried blueberries to eat. In other words few birds in the willows and not great hunting now.