Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arrowhead Outfitters, Howard Tieden

Default Arrowhead Outfitters, Howard Tieden

Wondering if anyone who has hunted with them would share with me what to expect as far as service and success rate. Have seen them in the paper doing Pike trips and advertised Moose and Caribou, high $$$ worth the experience?

They would edit or pull my post if I said what I thought.

PM me if you want more info. Also you can look other places on the net for more feedback on Arrowhead Outfitters.

Default Look

else where, I fly and wont fly with them

Default PM

PM sent.

Greg

Thumbs up Posts and guides

The best part of this forum is the ability to share info on many subjects. I have to commend you guys on asking the tough questions regarding guides and outfitters and for the guys who are willing to share honest info about their experiences. It seams like the majority of guides that have been questioned in the past week or so have not lived up to their responsibility of treating every customers fairly.

In this line of business you are only as good as your reputation and we all need to live by that. It is tough to please 100% of the hunting fishing public but it is easy to treat everyone fairly.

Keep asking the tough questions guys and lest all share in our experiences. Nothing worse than a newbee coming hp to this part of the world blind!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Kotzebue Alaska
    33 miles north of the Arctic Circle
    Your best bet in Rafts, Canoe and camp rentals

Default I agree Walt (However)

I am not in favor of protecting someone that will put others at risk due to the censorship on here.

I think this forum is great and the rules here but there is some guides out there and or transporters who really are a hazard to people and we can't share that on here openly.

Granted there are some reasons due to a lot of it being just someones opinion and not always facts.

Just hopefully nobody gets killed or hurt because of the protection they are provided on a tightly moderated forum like this.

I think facts should be able to be spelled out clearly

Just my take on it.

Your last statement sums it up pretty well. You must be able to live up to your reputation.

If you have no reputation there must be a reason!!

i just wish i would have asked this question a year ago

Default a change

I think that Mike is working on something new that may allow some sort of postings in a negative context.

Question negative comments

We need to be careful on the negative comments. It is very easy to allow one disgruntled client and ruin a good outfits reputation with a click of a mouse.

Walt

Default I would think

a disclaimer statement would all that would be needed.

maybe a outfitter review section with a good bad or indifferent vote, then guys could just send PM's for info from there, without actually putting out what happened or why...keep that stuff private.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska View Post
    We need to be careful on the negative comments. It is very easy to allow one disgruntled client and ruin a good outfits reputation with a click of a mouse.

Walt
    Yet it's alright for a so-called guide/outfitter to steal money from a non-resident hunter who has paid thousands of dollars for a hunt, or service, only to find out his guide/outfitter is a POS crook and thief? Good reputation to be protecting....

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    maybe a outfitter review section with a good bad or indifferent vote, then guys could just send PM's for info from there, without actually putting out what happened or why...keep that stuff private.
    Excellent idea.

Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska View Post

Walt
    Walt I can see your point but on the same token if you go over to the Pristine Ventures website you will find that many Kudos are given when they are due in the guide and outfitter section. Way more than negative stuff.

I would go as far as saying most clients who are done right spread the word I know I have with pilots I have used.

A stand up Guide, Outfitter or Transporter will not lose his business to one disgruntled customer. The fact is that every business out there deals with disgruntled customers.

It's up to that business to do their best to rectify the situation.

If the guy is a liar and a cheat and is dangerous then he shouldn't be in business and deserves what he or she gets in my opinion..

True story here

I was in one of my customers office this morning that I fish with. We were talking rafting and raft rentals and people that know about their equipment.

Guess who's name came up? Yours. NO BS pm me if you want his name. He was asking me to call you for advice.

Strahan, Bartlett, 40 Mile Air, Deltana, Seahawk Air, Inland Aviation ETC ETC have good reputations and we all know it.

When a crook shows up then they should be exposed.

One last question here. What do people think of a guide taking two paying clients in a 4 seat plane and while on the hour or so flight the Guide (pilot) is teaching his assistant how to fly and has him at the controls?

You hit some turbulance and the plane is rocking back and forth and going up and down and the assistant guide is trying to get his hours in while being coached. You are the passenger and have headphones on in the back seat and can hear everything being said to the assistant and it is obvious that he is learning by the coaching going on.

Do you think this is a reputable guide that really cares about his reputation? Is this legal practice?

It happend to me and I was pretty ticked off by the time we landed. Oh and the landing was pretty rough to say the least and we barely made it as he over shot the runway.

It needs to be set up so that all oufitters can reply to any negative comments. Personally, I understand there are 2 sides to every story. I dont care for clients that slam an outfitter for things beyond the outfitters control. like the weather or unfilled tags or a steak cooked a little past medium well. ......Ken

Default Huntinfo.com

You can also check huntinfo.com. It is not the best site, but they allow you to review guide/outfitters and say what you want. Go to the bottom of the home page, click on review, then guide/outfitter reivew sections. Type in the state and hit enter.

I know a couple of the Oregon guides listed on there and the review are 100% correct in my opinion (all bad).

Good luck finding the info you seek.

Why not just ask the question on the pristine ventures site & you will get the answer.

Default Rating system

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Yet it's alright for a so-called guide/outfitter to steal money from a non-resident hunter who has paid thousands of dollars for a hunt, or service, only to find out his guide/outfitter is a POS crook and thief? Good reputation to be protecting....
    No that is not what I am saying. I think any outfitter/guide who hoses a client deserves a negative posting. I also know how difficult it can be to please 100% of your clients. I get some guys who think hunting WACH is landing and a B & C bull is waiting for you behind every tree. Unrealistic and sometimes they feel like they were cheated. Does that mean that the pilot deserves a knock?

I like the idea of a tool to rate services so people can get a snap shot idea of how past clients feel about a service. Maybe like E-Bay and their feed back system.

Walt

This is a quote i took from one of the reviews of a big name alaskan guide who i think is a sponsor on this site...i'll have to double check though.
    You guys wonder how the guides are nailing the sheep with 90 percent success rates...this guy says it all. Even says they are ethical and spotting from the air in the same review....
    ahhh for the love of money what folks will do....fair chase what?

"Sheep were spotted from the air and hunters stalked a specific sheep. If stalk unsuccessful, hunter is moved to another sheep. Guide (name removed) and all involved are scrupulously honest and ethical. The guides are very experienced and have guided with "this outfit" for some time. In my group all 4 hunters got their sheep within the first 2 days. My sheep was taken an hour and 20 minutes into the season. "
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Anyone know why one website can put up negative reviews without any repercussions and another cannot? I like the idea of a good/bad outfitter/transporter/giude forum, if people have questions they can post them there or review the list of said outdoor proffesionals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast