Thread: Bear recurve bow history

Default Bear recurve bow history

Hello
    I have been hunting with my father's old bear kodiak for about 20 years now.
    He had purchased it used, atleast 40 years ago.
    Does anyone know where I could research the manufacture date,by using the serial #??
    It's still a great bow, and the only one I hunt with.
    My dream would be to moose hunt in the next few years.
    Thanks in advance.
    Happy hunting
    Bill

Unhappy Bow History...

I'd Google Joe StCharles, and he has all the history your looking for.I have a trad bow magazine that has all the info, but would have to look through a couple hundred of them.GR

Thanks rover, I'll try that tonight.
    Bill

Thanks again for the reply.
    What a great site.
    I got the info I needed.
    My bow was built in 1967, and still going strong.
    Happy hunting
    Bill

I can tell you what you have, pics are best. There is a possibilty the bow may be older that 1967 as dating a Bear Kodiak by serial number alone is not sure thing. I own over 140 Bear Kodiaks and have been collecting them for more than 10 years now. Bear quit making the Kodiak model in 1966, it was replaced with the Super Kodiak in 1967. Here is a pic of Bear Kodiaks 1961-1966 from my collection.

So that is where all those old bows went!!
    I'll try to get some pics this wknd,and try to post them.(not very computer smart).
    Thanks for the reply
    Bill

Th the 4th bow down looks exactly like mine.
    My father added a sight and quiver mount to the bow that are gone now, but the screw holes remain.
    I am sure the value was hurt badly.
    But I will never part with it, just looking at it brings fond memories of my youth and of my fathers early years of bow hunting.
    Plus I still hunt with it.
    Thanks for the photo.
    Bill

that would be a 1964 Kodiak, by many accounts the best shooting model of all the Kodiaks. The holes will bring down the value to a collector. My 1964 Kodiak also has a serial number that starts with 7. Bear didn't start using the date of manufacture in their serial numbers until 1965 i.e. 1965 Kodiaks start with 5, 1966 Kodiaks start with 6.

Wow
    I'm happy to have a bow that old and still can hunt with it.
    Thanks so much for your input and info.
    May your hunts be sucessful in the future, and good luck with your collection.
    Bill

BTW
    My bow is 55# and 60"

Here's a bit of Bear history and an interview with the largest collector of Bear bows if you haven't already seen it.

http://traditionalbowhuntersjournal.com/video_m.html

Thank you very much for the link, I'll check it out tonight at home, my work PC has no sound.
    Happy hunting
    Bill

It is a great video, Al Reader is a very knowledgeable collector. I have bought several bows from him over the years. He has the largest collection of Bear take down handles. The largest collection of Bear bows ever assembled is owned by Wade Phillips of Omaha, Ne. With only 140 Bear Kodiaks, I am a little fish in the ocean of archery collectibles.

alaskabowhunter,

Thanks for setting me straight on biggest Bear collectors. I guess it would take a collector to know all these things? If you haven't already seen the other segments of http://traditionalbowhuntersjournal.com/ there are good interview with former Bear factory workers in Grayling Michigan in the first two parts.

Growing up in Michigan Fred Bear was my hero like every other boy with a bow in the state. A friend's parents had a cabin near Grayling and I remember them taking us to the factory once during the early sixties. About all I recall of that though was Fred's huge Brown bear on display in the lobby.

Thank you guys for the links.
    What a great video.
    I can say that Fred was my hero, and have a few early archery books that I read a million times.
    Any ideas where to find any of Freds movies of his hunts?
    Thank you again.
    Bill

dogbeak,

I have several videos of Fred's hunts. I never get tired of watching them. 3Rivers Archery carries them and sells them in sets I believe.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/

Bowjack

I guided for Ray's in college and have been in Fred's Grayling cabin in fact I've been more than a little hammered there more than once. Not too many folks know he was also quite the fly fisherman it was really cool to sit at his tying desk and whip up a few hex's before the evening drift. Don't know if he still has it but Steve at Ray's used to own one of Fred's drift boats, never got to pilot it because it was in need of restoration.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.