Thread: Skinny Boat ?

Question Skinny Boat ?

Large freighters made of Aluminum are non existent at this time .
    But what if you could get a long narrow boat.
    Say 20-24 ft with a 42" or 44" bottom,60" beam. Side height 19".
    Hull thickness .080, all welded construction. Small tunnel optional.
    With either a 6V bottom with V bow or Flat with a MVB bow.
    22ft would weigh about 440 lbs. (20 Lbs a ft)
    Landed in Fairbanks for about $4,500.00
    I think a 20 or 30 hp motor would plane it out so you could run on or
    off step. A small jet motor would work also.
    Question: Is their any interest in this style of craft ?
    Looking for any input. Thanks

Default Way too heavy

Quote Originally Posted by Madboater View Post
    Large freighters made of Aluminum are non existent at this time .
    But what if you could get a long narrow boat.
    Say 20-24 ft with a 42" or 44" bottom,60" beam. Side height 19".
    Hull thickness .080, all welded construction. Small tunnel optional.
    With either a 6V bottom with V bow or Flat with a MVB bow.
    22ft would weigh about 440 lbs. (20 Lbs a ft)
    Landed in Fairbanks for about $4,500.00
    I think a 20 or 30 hp motor would plane it out so you could run on or
    off step. A small jet motor would work also.
    Question: Is their any interest in this style of craft ?
    Looking for any input. Thanks
    Far too heavy for the things I would want to use something of that design on. I want something two people can comewhat comfortably pick up and carry if/when needed and one person can drag if/when needed. 19' freighters are still on the market from what I can tell for about $2,300 (without delivery), but I think those are the ones with a thinner aluminum material (0.04 maybe?).

Some years ago my brother in law acquired a old 22' wood plank "canoe." It had a sled style bow. I think it must have been 3.5' wide at the bow, but tapered back to about 2' the stern. He put a 20hp outboard on it, but that was grossly overpowered. It never did plane, and the stern would just dig in lower as you raised the power. 10hp would have been plenty.

It wasn't lightweight, but it would pack a heavy load upriver and was very efficient with only a little bit of power. I suspect if redesigned with a wider stern & transom, and built of plywood it would be lighter, faster and able to handle more power.

Anybody got an idea on how light you could make it and still be solid?

Default Weight

Madboater: What would the specs on a 36" x 20' be? Beam? Wt/ft? Tunnel available? Having thought about this more since you called, that would be the closest to a canoe, and may fit the bill pretty well. Too, what is the rated load, vs what do you think it would carry safely? Keep in touch. This may be the closest we are going to get to an aluminum Scott.

Default 20' 36" bottom boat

A Grumman 19 foot has a 33" bottom and a 39 " beam.
    A Osage 17' has a 39" bottom and a 44" beam.
    A Scott 21' has about a 44" bottom and a 60" beam.
    An Alweld with a 36" bottom would have a 55" beam with 18" sides.
    14 lbs a foot weight. A 20ft would weigh 278 lbs.
    Load is a tricky question, on step or offstep ?
    A 20hp Honda should put 800 lbs on step at 20 mph at 1 gph.
    Off step you could handle more weight. If there is anough interest
    I could have one in by spring.
    mike@boatshopak.com

Default good numbers

Mad: Numbers are my friends. Thanks. Is the 36" bottom wide enough for a tunnel? I'd consider one if I could get a tunnel, and a 25 Yam w/ a pump would push an 18 footer OK. Getting 600 lbs on step should be doable, though, no? j

Smile Tunnel option

J. no problem with the tunnel. I would stick with the 20 ft for the
    xtra planing surface. Have a 25 Yamaha with jet sitting right here.
    I think this could be a cool set up.

Quote Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
    Mad: Numbers are my friends. Thanks. Is the 36" bottom wide enough for a tunnel? I'd consider one if I could get a tunnel, and a 25 Yam w/ a pump would push an 18 footer OK. Getting 600 lbs on step should be doable, though, no? j
    Should be no problem as I run a 21 scott hudson with 25 yamaha pump and can push 3 people and light gear on step pretty easily.

Default protection?

7mm: Have you tried anything on the bottom of your Hudson to prevent rock damage?

Default protection

7mm: Have you tried anything on the bottom of your Hudson to prevent rock damage?
    I only pick up minor leaks over an entire summer and just reglass the bottom and it's good as new

Default many?

7mm: Do you frequent rock gardens, or mainly stick in deeper water and hit the occasional rock? I would be running skinny stuff most of the time, and doing frequent dragging over riffles. And, naturally, I'd be on step and humping it when I nick a bottom or two.... or four... on any trip. Stink happens. thanks. j

7mm: Do you frequent rock gardens, or mainly stick in deeper water and hit the occasional rock? I would be running skinny stuff most of the time, and doing frequent dragging over riffles. And, naturally, I'd be on step and humping it when I nick a bottom or two.... or four... on any trip. Stink happens. thanks. j
    i do occasionally run rock garden's but the river's i run are very shallow rocky rivers. of which i do scrape bottom on almost a daily basis. also i run through lots of mud during moose season and this year was running through mud with 1-3 inches of water over mud and grass my scavenger. the website is http://www.scavengerbackwater.com/ and somewhere on there is my boat with my son driving with the 24 hp honda scavenger. also i jump beaver dams that never resulted in damage to the boat but did lose one lower unit over 2 years on an old honda which I sold last year to get a jet for it as well and because it had over 1500hrs on the motor.

ps this boat will be for sale on craigslist in about two weeks

Default PM

7mm: PM sent your way. john

7mm, you have quite a bit of experience with motors. It seems that you have set up your boat in many unconventional ways as compared to the rest of us freighter guys. I'm referring to your use of a belt driven scavenger motor and a small jet. Could you share with us your opinions regarding technique and motor selcetion? IE: Do you take both the jet and the scavenger, and mount the scavenger when you get into shallow weedy stuff? Or do you just mount the scavenger exclusively and run it the whole trip? How is fuel consumption on the scavenger? What are the advantages of a standard outboard, a jet, and your scavenger in your opinion? After seeing how good the prices were on those scavengers I was amazed with those little buggers. The 5.5 horse only weighed 70lbs. and the 9 horse only weighed 90lbs. Those motors would be great for a smaller freighter and look to be tough as nails for the weedy/muddy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    7mm, you have quite a bit of experience with motors. It seems that you have set up your boat in many unconventional ways as compared to the rest of us freighter guys. I'm referring to your use of a belt driven scavenger motor and a small jet. Could you share with us your opinions regarding technique and motor selcetion? IE: Do you take both the jet and the scavenger, and mount the scavenger when you get into shallow weedy stuff? Or do you just mount the scavenger exclusively and run it the whole trip? How is fuel consumption on the scavenger? What are the advantages of a standard outboard, a jet, and your scavenger in your opinion? After seeing how good the prices were on those scavengers I was amazed with those little buggers. The 5.5 horse only weighed 70lbs. and the 9 horse only weighed 90lbs. Those motors would be great for a smaller freighter and look to be tough as nails for the weedy/muddy stuff.
    i run only one motor and just choose based on wether i'm going to my moose stand or if river shallow or whatever. my scavenger seems to burn about 1.75-2 gal. per hour at wot could be backed down and save some.
    jet
    runs shallow
    has reverse
    prop
    more torque
    no horse power cut
    great for deeper water
    scavenger
    goes through anything
    runs fairly shallow
    lightweight for style of motor
    service is easy
    motor can be worked on at many places
    no complaints and went through one shaft because burned the bearings out as near i could figure but duct tape and beaver wood succeded
    those are the big highlights