Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Snares

Default Snares

What do you all think about them???
    Find Yourself.

Pain in my BUTT!

If u find the animals, snares will catch them.

Quote Originally Posted by chucktruck View Post
    If u find the animals, snares will catch them.
    yeah, my beagle and german shorthair for two! If you set them please do so in a logical area. for the most part, try not to put them at popular areas for foot hunters.

Traps in general should be avoided where people venture.

Snares are a light, handy quick killing device if set right, everything from Ptarmigan to Wolves can be legally snared, and along time ago, people used to snare Caribou.
    Wolf sets, too, have been known to snare Moose,"And you dont want that!" as the saying gos, so you have to be carefull , even in totally unpopulated areas as well.

Snow and ice depth change things quickly, so pay attention, and keep up on them.
    Check your traps/snares as much as possible.

You can set them under ice, in trees, along the ground, at den entrances, around a kill in the willows , etc.,etc.and take many with you when you go out.

Get a good book, I think its called "The Alaska trappers manual" or something like that.

Good luck.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

rabbit snares are something I won't hesitate to set near to popular trails, if someone gets hurt on a rabbit snare they deserve it, and if one steals one its like $.10 out of my pocket, no big deal...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Its not that someone will get hurt, Its their dog. I went out Knik way a couple of weeks ago. Someone set stupid snares all over the place within a 2 minute walk of the parking area.

I had to wrangle my dogs up, walk to another side of the area and continue to be paranoid the rest of the day anytime the dog went silent.

I hate going to Knik. Its full of trash, broken glass and armed hicks. BUT, its been pretty good about being trap free.

But if fools continue to snare in there, and I no longer have a safe place to run my hounds Im gonna start complaining.

I Know of some other places to go running my dogs, but, I feel that they are also an out of the way place for a trapper. So I tend to avoid those areas as soon as the traps are out.

This time of year, Knik and one other area is about the only safe place I have anymore. I used to have Rabbit slough, but some guy is in there snaring for the last couple of years.

A while back in North Carolina, I used to hunt deer on a piece of public land that was only open to hunters on foot the first three days of the season. After the first three days, hunters were allowed to bring their hounds in to run deer. It was very frustrating that in a four month deer season I only had 3 days to hunt because the **** dogs would run everything with a heartbeat into the next state. Point is, every outdoorsman has a different passion when it comes to hunting/trapping whether it be baiting; using hounds; snare's etc. and at some point or another it is going to piss someone off. As long as we are respectful of each other while we are out doing our thing we should have an enjoyable time in the outdoors.

I am trying to respect everyones form of recreation. Thats why I put up with only having two areas to run my dogs in. The two most popular and worst areas within driving distance at that, as well as being stupid places to have traps. But even it being dumb to set traps there, there they sit!

My big riff with the trapping and snaring is that it occupies a space of land 24/7 with no discrimination.

I only occupy the space a couple of hours and I can choose what gets killed.

Im not here to stir the pot. Just wanted to let this poster who was asking about snares that he might want to think about where he puts them.

Well, Rimfire, if you choose to have loose dogs, theres always that danger. I understand you fully, but if its legal to trap where you loose your dogs, the danger is there. Maby you can bring it up as a public safety issue for a high use area? I think others where you are might listen and get something done.
    I would hate to catch someones dogs,Moose, friends, for sure, and my warning about traps is my seeing a neighbor put up for 3 months with a broken arm, when he was setting his traps. I imagine one of them on the leg or on a kid, dog, -who ever- is gonna have dire results.

Most snares are rather selective, as are most trap sets...the size of the snare has to be pretty close to the size of the target animal, and must be placed where tha animlas venture; Bevers with under ice sets, Martins in trees, Wolverines in Cubbies, ect. The problem I see is that your dogs are "Fur size", and probly eat the type of bait being offered, if its a baited trap.
    I wish I had an immediate solution, but getting that word out should be a good start.

Goingwest,
    Like hunting, trap/snare setting must be done RESPONSIBLY, or people who are area co-users are likely to pay the price for someonelses lazyness/supidity..
    Dont let that stop you, just go about it with respect, because everthing can be accomplished with that in mind.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Good post strangers. On my previous post when I said I was going to complain thats what I meant. If this trapping continues in High use areas, I plan on getting a group of dog runners together and presenting our case in front of a board.

That being said I dont want to do that. The areas I run in would be good for muskrats, and small cubby sets in trees. If I complained and was heard, they would probably want to ban all forms of trapping in that area. I dont want that. I just want to eliminate the dog catching types.

And yes the danger is there and I accept responsiblity for what happens to my dogs. Its just getting to the point where I cant be responsible anywhere I go.

Next run out, if those snares are there I will post a polite note explaining the conflict and leave it for the trapper to find. Hopefully he will be a dog lover and move on. Also I might give him my number so he can call me. I know lots of place to snare rabbits where I cant run my dogs due to the highway and such. All within 5 miles of the knik pullout.

rimfiremat,

Your scenario could be turned around, what if that trapper complains about you running your dogs there? What then? I'm sure he/she would have plenty to say on the subject, claim that they were there first etc...then what?
    If we all had this mentality, none of us would get along. I can see your point, but as a dog owner you are responsible for your animal, you live in Alaska, your an outdoors man, you should have the knowledge to release your dogs from a trap or snare, if you don't, YOU take the risk of running your dogs in an area that is accessible to trappers. Traps are no more a threat to your animals that you claim you are running than a moose is. If you lose sight of your animal, that is your problem, not the trappers, not the moose, it is up to you to contain your dog at all times, weather its on a leash or under voice command. If your dog gets caught in a snare and its no longer within sight and you as an outdoors man know that its trapping season, that becomes your problem as well. Keep your dog in sight, if it gets caught, release it, no harm done!
    I have never seen you in this forum or in the trapping forum having anything pleasant to say, if your not a trapper why hang out here and do nothing but complain, Do you not realize that your only talking about about 15% of the trapping population in Alaska, if that! There are other venues ya know, like Trapperman, but I'm sure you know that they would eat you alive.
    If you don't like trapping, move to California, they have plenty of groomed beaches there that you run very little risk of running into a trap or snare on.

Goingwest, we almost always use snares, This year has been a screwy year for traps so we packed up the idea and just started snaring all our sets.

Default Stupid Snares??????

[QUOTE=rimfirematt;424614]Its not that someone will get hurt, Its their dog. I went out Knik way a couple of weeks ago. Someone set stupid snares all over the place within a 2 minute walk of the parking area.

If your complaining that they are "stupid snare" and you ran your dogs anyway and they got caught then you must not have anymore sense than those snares.

Next run out, if those snares are there I will post a polite note explaining the conflict and leave it for the trapper to find. Hopefully he will be a dog lover and move on. Also I might give him my number so he can call me. I know lots of place to snare rabbits where I cant run my dogs due to the highway and such. All within 5 miles of the knik pullout.[/QUOTE]

Come on now your dogs stand very little chance of getting caught in a rabbit snare, unless you are running a chihuahua.

This is interesting. It would like complaining about a Moose who is protecting it's young and that it was bad because you were walking in the area it was in and your dogs were loose and they got stomped. Who's fault is it.. yours for letting your Dog's roam wild or the Moose because it saw them as a threat.

Sorry I have no respect for people who do not have their "pets" near them and let the run wild. You know there are people who set snares in the area. As long as they were safe from Humans.... they are fine.

Don't complain about it if it was your fault.

goingwest, Alaskantrapper are good to talk to about snares. Good people.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Lol, Matt, Matt, Matt...................why stop there? When you get your wish and they run out the trappers, they'll be coming for your dogs. Ya know they crap and pee everywhere, and scare the wild animals.

Maybe we should complain theres to many Anchorage folks coming out to the valley and trashing that Kink area?

I'm not digging your opinion here at all but I'm sure leaning towards your thought process, if the outcome doesn't favor your desires.

You guys tend to be your own enemies sometimes.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    I am trying to respect everyones form of recreation. Thats why I put up with only having two areas to run my dogs in. The two most popular and worst areas within driving distance at that, as well as being stupid places to have traps. But even it being dumb to set traps there, there they sit!

My big riff with the trapping and snaring is that it occupies a space of land 24/7 with no discrimination.

I only occupy the space a couple of hours and I can choose what gets killed.

Im not here to stir the pot. Just wanted to let this poster who was asking about snares that he might want to think about where he puts them.

thats the good thing about this country and state, if you don't get your way Right Now.... then you piss a fit and make others pay for it...

trappers make and leave trails...do all the work.... and pay in the end because some busy body went there and didn't like what they saw... ummmm it is trapping season... watch where you go.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskantrapper View Post
    Next run out, if those snares are there I will post a polite note explaining the conflict and leave it for the trapper to find. Hopefully he will be a dog lover and move on. Also I might give him my number so he can call me. I know lots of place to snare rabbits where I cant run my dogs due to the highway and such. All within 5 miles of the knik pullout.

Come on now your dogs stand very little chance of getting caught in a rabbit snare, unless you are running a chihuahua.[/quote]

especially where you snare EH? the chihuahua would be safe too..... now that lady of yours... prolly have it stuffed by the time you got home
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

This is why I don't live in a populated area

See once again you guys are blowing this way up.

First off none of you seem to have a clue about running a beagle after rabbits. They cant be babied, within eyesight at all times and when they are hot after a rabbit they generally cant be stopped.

Having a beagle under constant survelance or a leash is impractical. That would be like me telling you to only set your traps two days a week. It would not work.

If you would READ what I post before blasting away. You would know that I didnt run my dogs there. I got them under control and left. We were still within a half mile though. And yes sometimes the dogs can run that far if the rabbit is not cooperating. I move and I move. You guys never want to.

You would have also read where I said I do accept responsibility for my dogs. Thats why I have no where left to run them. I cant responsibly do that anymore due to the ignorance of a select few and the 24/7 presence of traps.

Also you guys dont say where you are from but I guess the bush. This is anchorage. We dont have the land you guys have. We all have to share.

All I want is some compromise. Maybe some education for the weekend warriors here in Anchorage. We already require it for Bowhunters, muzzleloaders and for hunting in certain areas. Its sad but its needed when common sense no longer prevails. I in no way shape or form want to run off the trappers.

And Ive said it before. With attitudes like this towards people who are indiffent to trapping but have a conflicting intrest, especially on a public forum well your gonna lose some support come voting time when PETA throws out some crazy legislation towards trapping.

So when someone wants to voice their concerns and is willing to compromise, try countering in a productive way rather than saying too bad and suck it.

So thats it for me for now. Ill just sit back and hope we can all get along. And if we cant than that is sad. Waterwolf is right. Were our own worst enemies.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast