Thread: 1" K-Type Copper water line....Need deal (Cheap)

Default 1" K-Type Copper water line....Need deal (Cheap)

Ideas on cheapest place to get 1" K-Type copper waterline tubing....? In the 80's it was $165.00 for a 100 foot roll. Summer of 09' it was $995.00 for a 100' roll. So I held off wishing the price would come down.

So now I need 150' which you can only get 100' rolls in Alaska.

So where is it available reasonable....??? I guess I could even order it from America, as there is no rush.

Ferguson's or what ever they call themselves this week was the cheapest last summer.

Question have you

thought about plastic a lot of builders have switched to it and now with the shark bite fittings for interior work is easy little more flex if freeze is issue just can't thaw with a welder just a thought and i think it would be cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by thehappyalaskan View Post
    thought about plastic a lot of builders have switched to it and now with the shark bite fittings for interior work is easy little more flex if freeze is issue just can't thaw with a welder just a thought and i think it would be cheaper

It is 1/12th the cost. And if I can't find a good price on copper, I'll go with poly.

I can get 60' rolls, but I don't stock them this time of year. I have a 100' roll in stock. $1023 for a 100' and a 60' and a union to connect them. I have no idea if this is a good price now or not. Copper prices are on the way down and my supply warehouse could be behind on the price changes. Price is good for a week if you are interested. Soonest I could have the 60' roll is Feb 12th.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I can get 60' rolls, but I don't stock them this time of year. I have a 100' roll in stock. $1023 for a 100' and a 60' and a union to connect them. I have no idea if this is a good price now or not. Copper prices are on the way down and my supply warehouse could be behind on the price changes. Price is good for a week if you are interested. Soonest I could have the 60' roll is Feb 12th.
    I have a account at Ferguson's Wholesale, their price late last fall $585.00 for 100' roll.

I need to check outside, maybe slow boat shipping.

Or ten more years of hauling water from the creek.

You probably can't find it in Alaska cheaper than at Fergusen if you have an account there. Keller and Pacific might have a lower price, but not usually. Like all commodities, it's all about timing your purchases. In 2007 I purchased a bunch of 1"K at the right time and thumped Fergusen all summer. In 2008 I couldn't beat them. Our M copper prices and fitting prices have dropped significantly the last couple months, but K copper hasn't moved since November. I am stuck with our warehouse cost until they sell out At least I'm still cheaper than Lowes

Have you thought of going to 3/4" to save a little money. I know it's not code in many places now, but you may not care. I run 3/4" for 100' and I get plenty of water out of it for my 5 person family.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Have you thought of going to 3/4" to save a little money. I know it's not code in many places now, but you may not care. I run 3/4" for 100' and I get plenty of water out of it for my 5 person family.

I already have the Pit-less adapter for 1 inch. I would save on the tubing and throw away a $65.00 adapter. So net-net for about $50.00 I get to have 1" line. Also the line will serve a barn, and shop building.

If you need to connect 2 sections that are buried, you can use a coupling and silver solder. It is a hi strength brazing rod, used in refrigeration systems

Quote Originally Posted by thehappyalaskan View Post
    I have been doing a bit of research on designing a frost proof plumbing system. I am looking at a pretty long run from the well to cabin so the price of copper may be prohibitive. Although external heat tape and plastic piping dont seem to mix well, I did find an internal heatline that you can install in an insulated poly pipe. See: http://www.heatline.com/ Can't vouch for the product, but it seems like it might work.

Cheers

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by Joel in Alaska View Post
    I have been doing a bit of research on designing a frost proof plumbing system. I am looking at a pretty long run from the well to cabin so the price of copper may be prohibitive. Although external heat tape and plastic piping dont seem to mix well, I did find an internal heatline that you can install in an insulated poly pipe. See: http://www.heatline.com/ Can't vouch for the product, but it seems like it might work.

Cheers

Joel

I have looked at that system, in fact help install one last summer. The two things I will not compromise on in construction are the foundation and the water system. I'll go with Copper, I just don't want to over pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    I have looked at that system, in fact help install one last summer. The two things I will not compromise on in construction are the foundation and the water system. I'll go with Copper, I just don't want to over pay for it.
    Other than the inability to thaw it with as welder is the poly pipe an inferior product?

Quote Originally Posted by Joel in Alaska View Post
    Other than the inability to thaw it with as welder is the poly pipe an inferior product?

Yes, People tell me that it can just break for no reason, maybe age. PVC can break from freezing expanson. For me the Moblization cost just to get a excuvator here is $1,100 each way. I just want to reduce the risk of a do'over.

Interior heat lines usually run more than the cost of the copper line itself. The last section I bought was over $6/ft.

Default Pex?

I installed Pex thoughout the entire lodge last summer. After much research, I found it to be a far superior product (at least on paper) tests showed the stuff bulged from freezing to the size of a golf ball, but once thawed, it goes back to it's original size. No problem as of yet. But that's just the way I went. It was about a 10th the cost of if I had gone with copper, plus with copper you have a lot more labor. Pex is so easy, even I was able to do it without burning the place down!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

The problem with Pex for the line from the Waterwell to the building is that you can not thaw it if it freezes.

Also Pex can not be exposed to sunlight.

I can vouch for the pex on indoor plumbing. I have frozen every inch of the plumbing in my home and have had NO leaks in the pipe or the connections. The manifold on the other hand will crack VERY easily!!! For $175, one would think they could beef them up a bit to withstand at least a little freezing.

I agree with HopeAk and others, right now, copper is the only way to go for a buried supply line from the well as much as it hurts financially.