Thread: Kodiak Deer Hunting from a Boat

Default Kodiak Deer Hunting from a Boat

Has anyone recently hunted deer in Kodiak utilizing one of the large yacht or vessel outfitting services. I'll be hunting with my dad, and I think it would be fun and comfortable to start and end the days hunt from a nice boat in the beautiful bays of the island. Please send me some notes about your experiences and some names of the outfitters you used. Thanks!

Default homer ocean charters

my dad and I went with homer ocean charter this last fal and we were very dispointed with the trip as was the other three guy on the boat. the main things that were bad. when we book the trip we were told that we would be hunting in olga bay at the south end of the island, the day we got on the boat in olga bay the captian of the boat decieded to move the boat al the way to the north end of the island. we losy half day of hunting and then for the next seven days we hunted an area that did not hold much deer and only saw three to five deer and a couple of day did not see any. for their host skills theirs were pretty pore. for what they told us that they had hunted down their for eightteen yrs or so they real did not seam to have a plan on were we were going to hunt each day so ever morning we would probly waste an hour or so before hunting.
    this is my two cents
    cheers

Default Guiding or Transporting

Quote Originally Posted by skipper View Post
    my dad and I went with homer ocean charter this last fal and we were very dispointed with the trip as was the other three guy on the boat. the main things that were bad. when we book the trip we were told that we would be hunting in olga bay at the south end of the island, the day we got on the boat in olga bay the captian of the boat decieded to move the boat al the way to the north end of the island. we losy half day of hunting and then for the next seven days we hunted an area that did not hold much deer and only saw three to five deer and a couple of day did not see any. for their host skills theirs were pretty pore. for what they told us that they had hunted down their for eightteen yrs or so they real did not seam to have a plan on were we were going to hunt each day so ever morning we would probly waste an hour or so before hunting.
    this is my two cents
    cheers
    Skipper
    If you were letting the boat crew decide where you hunted each day then something is wrong. There are several locally owned private cabins in the area that are available for rent as another option for the DIY

Default ACM

Six of us went with Alaska Coastal Marine this year and loved it Food was great crew was great and the hunting was beyond great. Some days each group of two seen as many as 100 bucks in a single day (bucks not deer) average was probably 25-40 . Cant think of a single negative. Learned of them from this site last year around this time

Larry

Default Second ACM

We also went with Tim this fall and had a fantastic time. Can't say enough about their operation - top notch.

I went with ACM in November of '07, what a great trip. Was Josh on The Spirit with you guys?

--Bill

Steelheader, What was the cost of that trip?

Quote Originally Posted by tjh View Post
    Steelheader, What was the cost of that trip?
    Check out his web site www.alaskacoastalmarine.com everything was divided by 6 so it turned out pretty reasonable also the float plane charter directly to the boat was included

Default Ninilchik Charters

A few years ago we used Ninilchik Charters for a hunt out of Larson Bay and all I can say is it was truely awesome! The boat was probably as comfortable as you could expect from a boat and the crew and transportation was great! We had a couple of girls with us, ages 12 and 13, who both scored nice bucks along with everyone in the party. One day when the girls were too tired to hunt, my partner and I hunted nearby while they caught halibut from the boat. It was a wonderful hunt filled with good memories.

This was not a guided hunt as the crew merely transported us to and from the shore and all the hunting was done by us.

I believe Mike Flores in Ninilchik does this, and is a great person and has been running hunts like this for quite some time.

Default jtm9

Yup, Mike Flores is Ninilchik Charters. Here's a link to their website and some photos of our hunt. The two guys on the top pic arrived from out of state as we were boarding the plane to leave and it was finally really starting to snow. I wish we would have seen the deer they have in this shot.

http://www.ninilchik.com/content_sub...ID=46&CAT_ID=4