Thread: ammo on airlines

Default ammo on airlines

My brothers comeing up from spokane and I was gonna have him pick up some ammo there, how much factory loaded ammo can a guy bring up without an issue on ak air?
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Here you go Iron...It is for Alaska Airlines

Firearms / Shooting Equipment

The following items may be included in your normal baggage allowance. Excess charges will apply for additional pieces of baggage. All items must be suitably packaged for transport.
    • Shooting Equipment
      1. One rifle case with rifles, scopes, one shooting mat, noise suppressors and small tools, or
      2. One shotgun case with shotguns, or
      3. One pistol case with pistols, noise suppressors, one pistol telescope and small pistol tools
    • Ammunition—up to 50 lbs.(domestic) and 11 lbs. (international - where permitted) may be checked, if securely packed in the original manufacturer's package or in a container designed for ammunition and of sufficient strength to protect it from accidental crushing or discharge (i.e. wood, fiber, plastic, or metal). The projectile must be no larger than 11/16" in diameter, the size of a dime. Ammunition may be checked with or separately from the firearm. Spent ammunition shells will be accepted in checked baggage provided they meet the same acceptance procedures as live ammunition (e.g. packed in a crush-proof case).
    Firearm Declaration

Identify all bags containing firearms when you check in. Firearms must be unloaded. You will be asked to read and sign a special tag for each bag/container holding a firearm(s). This serves as your declaration that each weapon is unloaded and both weapons and ammunition are properly packaged. It is your responsibility to obtain all the necessary permits for any firearm checked between the United States, Canada, and Mexico.
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

Thanks for looking that up. I was thinking it was 50 rounds last time I flew down south. 50 pounds is very good to know! I checked a 180 pound anvil to bring home last time I was south, it was only $25 extra. I bet the ramp guys did not like me very much for that one.

Andy

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default 180 Pound Anvil????

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Thanks for looking that up. I was thinking it was 50 rounds last time I flew down south. 50 pounds is very good to know! I checked a 180 pound anvil to bring home last time I was south, it was only $25 extra. I bet the ramp guys did not like me very much for that one.

Andy
    Let's hope they enjoyed the challenge.

Such an item would be difficult to pack. Did you skip that, and just tag it?
    How did you get it to the counter? A hand truck?

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Let's hope they enjoyed the challenge.

Such an item would be difficult to pack. Did you skip that, and just tag it?
    How did you get it to the counter? A hand truck?

Smitty of the North
    I built a little pallet for it with braded hay twine handles at my Dad's place and then when he dropped us at the airport in Phoenix I used his rusty old hand truck. When I put it on the scale at the check in the old man took the cart back to its home in his barn. I got a bunch of looks, wheeling Dad's cow, chicken, and horse crap covered hand truck with an anvil on it as other people pass with their fancy big buck luggage.

In Anchorage at the old international terminal I thought it broke the baggage table thing when it came off the belt with a huge crash. Then I had heck getting it off that moving table and on to the baggage cart thing, the shuttle bus driver said it was among the strangest baggage he had ever handled. I helped him and gave him a $5 tip so he helped me load it in my Excursion at the parking lot. Got to go the distance when you live in Alaska and want something odd brung up on the cheap, but it was fun turning all the heads.

My grandpa ordered the thing new way back in 1897 so it's very important to me and I use it all the time as well.

Andy

I had a plastic tote filled with tools. Came in around 80 lbs but I made sure to tell the counter person to mark it for special handling and not to use the baggage conveyor. They didn't it came out with a crash, and left a neat little dent in the side of their baggage carousel.
    Which brings me to ammo. Alaska Air is by far the most gun friendly airline I have ever flown on. You won't have trouble getting fifty pounds on board, but pack it carefully. You never know how it might get handled. Might really ruin your day to find a good portion of your rifle rounds dented and bent all up. Get a real metal or hard plastic ammo box and pad everything with foam or a couple layers of cardboard. Then just stick it in a hard sided suitcase. Don't forget to tell them at check in. They may want to weight to ammo separately (North Worst had me put 5 small boxes of 12ga and a couple 20 round rifle cases on a scale, came in at about 8 lbs) so be prepared to take it out. BTW it CAN be packed in your rifle case. But again just make sure to pack it very carefully. TSA likes every hole in the case to have a lock in it if it makes sense or not.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I built a little pallet for it with braded hay twine handles at my Dad's place and then when he dropped us at the airport in Phoenix I used his rusty old hand truck. When I put it on the scale at the check in the old man took the cart back to its home in his barn. I got a bunch of looks, wheeling Dad's cow, chicken, and horse crap covered hand truck with an anvil on it as other people pass with their fancy big buck luggage.

In Anchorage at the old international terminal I thought it broke the baggage table thing when it came off the belt with a huge crash. Then I had heck getting it off that moving table and on to the baggage cart thing, the shuttle bus driver said it was among the strangest baggage he had ever handled. I helped him and gave him a $5 tip so he helped me load it in my Excursion at the parking lot. Got to go the distance when you live in Alaska and want something odd brung up on the cheap, but it was fun turning all the heads.

My grandpa ordered the thing new way back in 1897 so it's very important to me and I use it all the time as well.

Andy