Thread: Tustemena 200 This Weekend!

67 mi E of Cantwell, 68 mi W of Paxson

Default Tustemena 200 This Weekend!

Some info on the race this weekend. Starting line has changed and route has changed. Below is a note from thier website

My wife and I, on behalf of Alpine Creek Lodge will be volunteering at the starting line at the Clam Shell on Saturday morning. See you guys at 6am!!

The 25th Anniversary of the
    Tustumena 200
    January 31, 2009
    Race Start 11:00am

Race Purse $20,000

Please Support Our Race Sponsors!

NEWS: Yes, the T-200 is still on!

Mushers: T-200 Dog limit will be 12 dogs, we are not considering changing the limit.

After consulting with several local mushers and our Cracker Jack trail team the Tustumena 200 board has decided to move forward with all 3 of our races. We have a few changes to the trail, first the start and finish will now be in Clam Gulch. The start will be at the Clam Shell Lodge (Sterling Highway mile 118) with the finish just north on the east side of the Sterling Highway.

The 200 milers will run out to Caribou Lake and back, have an 8 hour layover at the Clam Shell and run the course again. The 100 milers will run out to Caribou Lake with a 4 hour layover and back to the finish, the Jrís will run out to the Cabin Hoppers Pad with a 3 hour layover and return to the finish.

Paul Gebhardt and his handler Kristy Berington both ran the upper section of the trail to Caribou Lake, while our trail committee ran the bottom section from Clam Gulch to the Cabin Hoppers pad. Paul says itíll be a very fast trail, icy but doable. With these trail reports the T-200 board has decided to cut back the dog teams to a maximum of 12 dogs for the T-200, keep the maximum of 10 for T-100 and 8 for the Jr. Ts.

In the name of safety the Jrs will start first, leaving the Clam Shell at 9AM, (2 hours before the 200 and 100 teams) getting to the Cabin Hoppers for a 3 hour layover and clearing the trail for the 200 and 100 teams. This early start will insure that the young guys will have the best trail conditions available.

Kevin Fulton and the trail committee will be out all week working on the trail, any updated rules and trail maps will be available at the mushers meeting on Friday January 30th.

With all of these changes we are still in need of volunteers, if you have some time this weekend and want to participate in the 25th running of the T-200 consider joining us! Contact

Mushers: if you have them bring your studded drag tracks, you will probably need them!
    Experience Real Alaska!

Fairbanks, AK

Thanks for posting. I'm really glad to see this part of the forum picking up.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?