Thread: Nenana River bridge

Exclamation Nenana River bridge

I am trying to work out access to a tract of land. Location states: "approximatley 12 road miles north of Healy on the east side of the Nenana River".Access states "By road from approximatley Parks Highway mile 260, then by off road vehicle (ORV) trails east of the Nenana River. There is an ORV crossing along the Alasks Railroad (ARR) bridge. Any other use of the ARR right-of-way is not permitted."

In refference refference to the ORV crossing along the ARR bridge (crossing the Nenana River?): It sounds like, from reading posts on this forum, that this is part of the Rex Trail. Am I right? Can anyone tell me more about it?

If you towed your ORV up Parks Highway, where would you park your truck? Anyone who is familiar with the area - help would be very much appreciated!

If this helps: ASLS 2004-2

There is VERY LIMITED parking near the trail head at the bridge. Many have to park out on a small pull-off at the highway. The ORV part of the bridge is 46.5 inches wide. Check the width of you ORV or ATV carefully or you will waste a trip. A 2008 Yamaha Grizzly 700 with STOCK tires and rims will just barely fit and you will scrape your fenders going across. An older polaris 6x6 (1994) and Sportsman 500 (1997) will also fit with stock tires and rims. But these also just squeek by. The crossing was built when three wheelers were big and the only 4-wheeler out there was a Suziki 125. Fun ride with many places to camp. Very crowded during hunting season. Suggest you carry extra gas as there are many trails to explore.

Quote Originally Posted by LesD View Post
    I am trying to work out access to a tract of land. Location states: "approximatley 12 road miles north of Healy on the east side of the Nenana River".Access states "By road from approximatley Parks Highway mile 260, then by off road vehicle (ORV) trails east of the Nenana River. There is an ORV crossing along the Alasks Railroad (ARR) bridge. Any other use of the ARR right-of-way is not permitted."

In refference refference to the ORV crossing along the ARR bridge (crossing the Nenana River?): It sounds like, from reading posts on this forum, that this is part of the Rex Trail. Am I right? Can anyone tell me more about it?

If you towed your ORV up Parks Highway, where would you park your truck? Anyone who is familiar with the area - help would be very much appreciated!

If this helps: ASLS 2004-2
    Looks as though you are talking about the Ferry Trail not the Rex. Search Ferry Trail on here you should find quite a bit of info.
    EricL

Quote Originally Posted by jupiterak View Post
    There is VERY LIMITED parking near the trail head at the bridge. Many have to park out on a small pull-off at the highway. The ORV part of the bridge is 46.5 inches wide. Check the width of you ORV or ATV carefully or you will waste a trip. A 2008 Yamaha Grizzly 700 with STOCK tires and rims will just barely fit and you will scrape your fenders going across. An older polaris 6x6 (1994) and Sportsman 500 (1997) will also fit with stock tires and rims. But these also just squeek by. The crossing was built when three wheelers were big and the only 4-wheeler out there was a Suziki 125. Fun ride with many places to camp. Very crowded during hunting season. Suggest you carry extra gas as there are many trails to explore.
    Actually it's called a trainmans walk and was never intended for vehicle traffic but thats another story.

Thanks for the info! So, I'll look for the Ferry Trail. Is there anyone here familiar with the area that might know the area that land is located in and could give me some idea? Are we talking about serious swamp, or could I get there with a carefully driven Honda Rubicon 500 with stock setup (wheels and tires, no tracks)? If you guys are too wide, what are you doing? Are there shallow crossable spots in the river? I thought that was prohibitted (maybe I read somewhere that motorized water crossings were by permit only)?

Quote Originally Posted by LesD View Post
    Thanks for the info! So, I'll look for the Ferry Trail. Is there anyone here familiar with the area that might know the area that land is located in and could give me some idea? Are we talking about serious swamp, or could I get there with a carefully driven Honda Rubicon 500 with stock setup (wheels and tires, no tracks)? If you guys are too wide, what are you doing? Are there shallow crossable spots in the river? I thought that was prohibitted (maybe I read somewhere that motorized water crossings were by permit only)?

Your Honda should do just fine with the bridge and the riding. No, you won't be able to cross the river. It is a pretty serious river!! If you are too wide you stay behind. Some guys have been known to use a ratchet strap and "cinch up" their IRS to make them a little narrower. I have a 700 Grizz with Mudlites and make across but rub most of the way.
    EricL

Thanks for the help. If anybody has any other input about this area, please feel free to chime in. Sounds like this may still be a good location for Moose hunting? Yes, I am completely new to the area. In fact, I haven't even been there yet. I'll go ahead and 'fess up; I bought this land and anothe piece NE of Fairbanks. My out of the way secluded land in the white peaks of North Carolina has become not so out of the way or secluded over the years. I really enjoyed getting set up in my off the grid hide-away, and figured I could start over while I am still not too old to. Civilization was getting way too close!

You should be fine with your Honda. There are no serious swamps or bogs if you stay on the main trails. About 25 miles in (I think it's about that far) you will drop down in a valley and cross a smallish creek. I have read a couple of accounts that this valley floods very fast during rain storms. It has steep walls and is narrow. I know two hunters that had to extend their stay as they could not get out for 4 extra days and they said it was 'ify' crossing then. If you have GPS coord.s for your land it should be easy to find and mark. Good luck and have fun.